Why is my Sony KDF60WF655 displaying movies in "very" wide mode only?

Username: Mike_leigh

Post Number: 1
I got delivery of our Sony KDF60WF655 yesterday and my wife and I are highly impressed with the pq of this set... even on standard defition programs. An absolutely beautiful tv, both designwise and pq wise. My question, if anyone be so kind to answer, is this: I also bought a Toshiba SD-5970 DVD player for its HDMI connection. I've tried playing the Matrix, Matrix Reloaded (widescreen), and Matrix Revolution (widescreen) and they ALL display abnormally, i.e., they are all stretched out sideways. I've tried adjusting the Sony's viewing choices, e.g., "normal," "widezoom," "full," and "zoom" and none of them renders normal output. I can't believe both standard and widescreen dvd movies can't be displayed normally on this TV. Is there something else I could do to rectify this situation? I'd be very appreciative if anyone could help. Thank you.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Those movies are all shot in 2:35 to 1 widescreen format. On your TV you should see black bars on the top and bottom of your screen. This is correct, do not fret. They should not however look stretched. Your Toshiba should be set for your TV's format ie: 16:9 ratio and 720p and your TV should be set to "full".

Username: Mike_leigh

Post Number: 4
Thanks, xvxvxvx. I finally figured out that I needed to change the 3:4 setting to 16:9 setting. Thanks. It's a pathetic that I get a "widescreen" hdtv set and still see the black bars playing "widescreen" movies. Thanks for your response.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
It's a pathetic that I get a "widescreen" hdtv set and still see the black bars playing "widescreen" movies.

You are welcome Mike. Not all your widescreen DVD movies will still have black bars, only those shot in certain aspect ratios. Many commercial movies are transferred to DVD at ratios that will fill up your screen. The ones you posted I happen to own as well and knew how they would display on your screen. Enyoy your new toys and Merry Xmas.

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us