Why would I ?

Username: Lavogue

Post Number: 1
I currently have a hitachi ultravision that is 7 years old. (50 inch). My viewing distance is 10 ft. I like the Samsung 60' DLP. Why would I buy it if the analog picture is worse than what I currently have ? I live in Kansas City and the time warner hd choices are pretty good.
This board is great and I appreciate your input.... I'm not in a hurry to buy, will waiting for better technolegy improve the analog displays on digital tv's.

RobW
Unregistered guest
You would buy it if you want DVD's in progressive widescreen and the yet limited but increasing HD broadcasts. Is the analog really worse on Samsung DLP's? I know Sony's have image enhancer circutry (Digital Reality Creation) to improve 480i pictures. (essentually a line doubler) Does'nt the Samsung too?

If your not worried about missing out on the first items, by all means wait for prices to drop and the equipment and HD content to improve.

Anonymous

I too have a 7 year old analog 50" Ultravision and love it. I recently moved it to the basement and replaced it with a Ultravision HDTV. My concern was the same as how would the SD signal look in a HDTV. I found out it was better than I expected. Many (if not all) of the new HDTV will do some sort of up-convert and transform 480i or less signal to at least 480p. If you have a good and strong SD signal, it would be no worse than a SDTV. However, what bugs me is not the picture quality but the 4:3 letterbox gray or black bends on either side. I cannot get use to them. I don't like using the zoom feature to get rid of them because it would enlarge the picture and make the resolution even worse.

Besides watching DVD in progressive widescreen (it is still EDTV), you should consider getting an HDTV with a built-in HD turner so that you can watch HD programming right away without paying high price HD cable or Sat. They usually cost about $100 more than their countparts and depends on where you live, you may get by with $40 indoor antenna.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us