Fixing a Broken Plasma Screen?

Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through February 25, 2006selling junk100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Unregistered guest
hi, am looking for help,for my plasma screen vision pm-4202, it was working ok until it started taking too long for the picture to come (about 1 - 2 hrs) slowly it has been detoriating now i can hardly see any pictures,the tv was tuned to euro sport for so long without turning it off, and now it appears in the top right corner of the screen. please help am very desparate

Unregistered guest
i still have all the tv's listed above i am asking $300 a piece they are selling for much more on ebay you will also have to pay shipping from ST.Louis, MO. even if you only need parts the price is still just $300 any questions please call me at 314-565-2231 my name is jake.

djc0322
Unregistered guest
anyone know anthing about Philips 42" flat screen? I turned mine off last night, today it turned on for a second, then went blank. Philips says I need to take it to a authorized dealer, which is a rip off in our town. The problem is listed on the faqs under "tv went blank, red led light flashes". Philips thinks it may be a power supply issue. Any ideas or experience?

dchw
Unregistered guest
anyone know anthing about Philips 42" flat screen? I turned mine off last night, today it turned on for a second, then went blank. Philips says I need to take it to a authorized dealer, which is a rip off in our town. The problem is listed on the faqs under "tv went blank, red led light flashes". Philips thinks it may be a power supply issue. Any ideas or experience?

Gazzer
Unregistered guest
Hi, I have a broken screen Sony 42B1e plasma. Anyone know an equivalent screen by another manufacturer that might fit size wise and electrically so I can look for a donor ?!

Username: Nadeemq

Post Number: 3
hi guys i repair plasma screens and i know the manufactures are very expensive give me a shout i will see what i can do for you on UK 0208-6887576
Nadeem

Username: Techx

Post Number: 2
hello friends,

Does anyone have access to the partslist of the X-SUSTAIN board of a Plasma Panel Daewoo Dsp-4210GM with SP-110 chassis?

I found a shortcircuited Mosfet SSH25N40A (QU4) , also in the Gate of this Fet i found a burnt SMD Resistor RCU20.

Does anybody know the value of this resistor, please? It is totally unreadable.

Thanks for any input!
Grtz,
Techx

Username: Hoochdgaolcom

Post Number: 1
Greetings, I have a NEC 4205W that is in great shape, the picture just went off. It powers on and the fans works fine, it took it to a plasma repair and I think he said it needs a digital board or power board, something like that. Can anyone out there help? I would also consider selling it for parts too.

Username: Avojo1

Hartford, CT USA

I have a 42 inch Samsung Plasma model sp-r4231 for parts. Delivered broken to me. All my costs were covered but they asked me to dispose of item. Anyone need this for parts contact me. Best offer taken, no minimum. You pay shipping. Power comes on but no picture of course since screen is cracked.Upload

Username: Danish

I have NEC PlasmaSync 42MP2 tv, yesterday my tv suddenly turned off it look like it changing to stand by mode and the green light changing to red, it doesn't metter what i'm doing the tv keep changing to stand by mode, Does any one want to buy it, contact me and make an offer at
danish_chdy@hotmail.com

Username: Danish

i have an NEC MP2 42' i need a circuit diagram for the repairing of the TV,
please send it at Danish_chdy@hotmail.com

Username: Edster

Hello all,
I'm selling an NEC PX-42VM2A (NEC 42MP2) Plasma on ebay if you want some parts. I'm not sure what's wrong with it, it just goes to standby when energized. None of the glass is cracked in any way. If you win the auction and just want the circuit cards, I can remove and send whatever you want. Here is the listing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D9718216631 Copy it and paste it to your browser.

Username: Florida_tom

I need a power supply board for a NEC 42 inch plasmaSync, anyone have one at reasonable price?

Username: S0ftwaref0rsale

TX

I have this Philips 23" plasma hd/tv monitor and as you can tell it has been kicked. The first pic is the screen when its on. It works fine, just the screen is trashed. Is there any one who knows if this screen can be replaced? I'm thinking it can't. Any ideas what the cost will be to fix it or how much I can get for it as-is? If you know a place on the WEB I can sell stuff like this it would sure help me out. Thanks

Upload
Upload

Username: Irational1

Townsville, QLD Australia

Hey,

I bought a Phillips High Def plasma tv about a month or so ago. It has a small crack at the bottom of the scree, which can't be seen in the picture. What would be the cheapest process to fix this? And can it be fixed. The model no. is 42FD9954/69C. I am worried it will cost me close to what I paid for it to fix this. It cost me $5000.

Any help is appreciated

cheers

Username: Foxsamantha

Can't you guys w/ the broken tvs just buy the same exact tv put the broken one in the box and return it stating that you rcvd it w/ the cracked screen?

Username: Modimplant

San Diego, California USA

Post Number: 6
Shannen,

There is absolutely nothing that can be done with a shattered or cracked plasma or LCD panel. There is no miracle glue, no special machines that "buff" out cracks or any other nonesense like that.

Both LCD technology and Plasma technologies are based on disposable panels.

Sure, there are scams and illegal things you can do to get you a new tv set, but if the question is about REPAIRING a panel, that's an easy answer: Not Possible.

We have over 500 broken plasma tvs in stock. If someone wants to tried out that miracle potion, they can buy a broken one from us! hehe ;)

Ali Irani-Tehrani
Discount-Merchant.com

Username: Markie76

Hi,

Samantha, I think what you are suggesting would loosely be regarded as fraud/theft.

Oh, have you heard of serial numbers? the long number they put on things to give it a unique ID which generally tends to be on the product box aswell? Manufacturers have met your kind before.

Ali, in your stock of 500 broken plasma tv's would you have a Fujitsu PDS4211 or any Fujitsu - I will need some parts for my sick plasma.

Username: Fre00ie

Hi, I just broke my Pioneer PDP-614MX plasma screen. If anyone have any idea to fix or replacing the screen, pls let me know.

Username: Claymol

USA

I need a PDP for a Fujitsu PDS4214w-s. My Plasma 42" Fujitsu did the loud pop thing and the screen went blank and I took it to an authorized dealer and they said I needed a new PDP # 8110753007. The machine was mounted on the wall and was completely intact when we were watching it - then bingo, it went out. Does anyone want to sell me that part out of one of their broken machines? Please email back - thanks.

Username: Viperz

Is anyone selling 42" Sony KE-42TS2 (or KE-42TS2U) with broken/cracked screen? I need electronics from one of these (the one that I have has a good screen). Thanks! viperz@mail.com

Username: Cmaddenwestnetcomau

Melbourne, Victoria Australia

i have a plasma lg 42 inch tv. the glass is broken and when i turn it on the tv sounds like it is buzzing. can some1 help me. is it possible to replace the glass

Username: Danlis

Tpa, Fl Usa

Have a 50" Samsung Plasma model HPN5039. Fell and glass/plasma cracked. Want another plasma pdp assembly, part # BN96-00851A, willing to buy working or not. Or, will sell this 2.5 yr old plasma TV as is, powers up, case has minor damage, just needs panel.Thanks.

Username: Tkesler

Mound, MN USA

I still have Philips 42FD9954/17S parts removed from a brand new unit. Everything is perfect except for the broken PDP (plasma screen). I will sell the parts at a very fair price.

Tony

Username: Tkesler

Mound, MN USA

I also still have my Fujitsu PDS4214W-S that had water leak from the roof onto it. A repair shop said it needed a power supply. I would take $300 for it.

Tony

Username: Bigwils357

WS, NC Usa

Have had my akai pt4298hd for 1yr 6mon it was working fine until yesterday I turned it on no diffrerent from any other day can back into the room and the picture look lik it had warped with the pink and green colors showing at the top in a smilin face look. people on the tv look like they have 4 eyes, it like its in the double mode can anyone help.

Username: Modimplant

San Diego, California USA

Post Number: 8
If you were in San Diego, California, we would be able to fix this for you with a 2-3 day turn around (we have all the parts in stock). My guess is your video module.

Good luck,
Ali
Discount-Merchant.com

Username: Anthonyleadbetter

Atlanta, GA USA

I have a broken 50" Panasonic plasma tv model #TH-50PX25. It's about 2 years old. I moved from San Diego to Atlanta and the damn movers broke it even though they thought it would be fine. Well I heard about the crazy costs of around $1800 but due to time constraints I had to buy a new one. Basically I'm trying to offload the broken plasma tv. The plasma is cracked, not the glass protecting it. When you turn it on a high pitched buzzing and no picture is what you get.

Let me know if you're interested. anthony.leadbetter@gmail.comUpload
Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Malakaii

Post Number: 14
This is my 42" LCD acer and I used it as a Computer screen I wonder why it gets too hot please let me know thank you thank you.

Username: Mhutchings

I have an NEC Plasmasync 50-MP2 needs a transplant. Looking for main and scan boards. Any suggestions?

Thank's

Username: Marlay21

I have a NEC PX 50VP1A for sale for parts, it is in good condition it just needs a new power supply. Please let me know if you're interested.

Username: Edster

I have all the internal cards (carefully removed) including the power supply for an NEC 42MP2 Plasmasync. The glass was broken during shipping. Plasma was about 2 years old and working when it got broke. I'm asking $400US or best offer, and you pay shipping (shipping will be a lot less than sending a Plasma television). If you would like these sent to you, contact me at esisneroz@yahoo.com

Username: Ceegee

Help! My son threw a pillow at our plasma screen and although the glass isnt broken, it doesnt show any picture but a load of red and blue lights where it was hit. Can this be fixed?

Username: Tattoodavie

lg 42" pdp v6

perfect condition except no housing. all circuit boards are mounted on back whatever was attached to housing is gone, but used once, and is available for sale. prescottproductions@yahoo.com
details available upon request.

Username: Rocco0425

Hello, I have a Zenith Model # Z50PX2D 50" plasma Tv
I had it a little over a year and the warranty is up. the other day it made a load noise and then it turned off. When you try and turn it back on the light goes from red to green and flashes but no picture.Can anybody tell me what i need to fix the problem I would like to repair it myself
thank you

Username: A1ex17

hi, i have RUNCO PL-42 plasma TV, it is not working. if you are interesting to buy it. let me konw. thanks, alex.

Username: Hoverdown3k

Rochester, NY USA

I got an NEC 4203MP3 Plasma screen. it is in a metal box and that is in a cardboard box. the Guy I bought it from told me it needs two boards.
and I/o Board and a Power supply.

What is the cost of these two boards?
also this may be out of my league, so I might like to sell the plasma screen.

any offers for the screen, or anyone selling the two boards it needs?

sjpsys@rit.edu
585 475 7069

Username: Hoverdown3k

Rochester, NY USA

Oops that should read

NEC 4203MF

Bronze Member
Username: Elmagico

Post Number: 54
I HAVE REPLACING SCREENS FOR THESE UNITS YOU CAN REACH ME AT LAPTOPKINGSTER@GMAIL.COM

Username: Ron123

i have a 42 inch Sampo plasma tv. I have a 5 inch scratch on it. It has not affected the picture. Is there any way to fix. this?

model PME-42S6

Username: Highdefonline

Bklyn, Ny Usa

I HAVE A 42" PANASONIC PLASMA WITH SMALL CRACK ON SREEN TH-42PX60U CHECK IT OUT ON MY SITE NEW. http://www.highdefonline.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=317 I WILL SELL IT FOR $500. PICK UP IN BKLYN OR FEDEX DELIVERY NATIONWIDE. CALL ME 914-595-4913

Username: Steeltechsa

I've got a NEC Plasma Sync 50MP1 in need of a
Power Supply Board. Would be interested in
purchasing a used board from a damaged
plasma whose power board is in working
condition In addition, any one having a
schematic diagram for the same, please
advise

Allen K
steeltechsa@optonline.net
(917) 805-8584

Username: Tomhedge

I have a Philips FD429954 which wouldn't power up. I took it to the local "authorized dealer" and turns out the power (port) supply went dead. Cost of the part 1300 plus 300 to repair. I think I found the exact tv with no picture but powers up. Is it very hard to take the part out of these TVs? Hopefully I can save a little bit of cash. Thanks for your help.

Username: Josephjames

i have a samsung s4253 it showed up today dead on arrival makes a loud buzzin noise ( like electric shaver ) and the screen is blank ?

does any one know what this might be ?

sound familar?

thanks!

Username: Highdefonline

Bklyn, Ny Usa

Plasmas @ wholesale prices www.highdefonline.com

Username: Donho1949

My philips 42fd9954/17s when power up it turn green for 40secs and then blinking red,I think i need a power supply and p/s citcuit board. Any one has them for sale. please email me: donho1949@aol.com or call 509-999-2471, im in wa99019}}

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
I HAVE ANY PART YOU NEED FOR ANY PLASMA OR LCD TV YOU CAN EMAIL ME AT LAPTOPKINGSTER@GMAIL.COM

Username: Gerrymoore

Spain

Hi all - I have a 5 week old LG42PC1R plasma that was dropped during an attempted theft...screen is badly cracked....needless to say it doesn't work anymore!!! Is it worth fixing or is it worth anything for parts??

Attention all broken plasma screen owner:
There is a guy using a name, Eric Vergas, and live in 13343 nw 3rd LN miami,FL 33182. He will state that he has your replacement screen with a cheap price. Actually he doesn't have anything. This is just a scam.
I am reporting him to the authority right now. Please be careful and do not be another victim for him.}}

Post Number: 4
Attention all broken plasma screen owner:
Continue on my post earlier, here is the guy on the forum:
----------------------------
Eric
Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 08:56 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I HAVE ANY PART YOU NEED FOR ANY PLASMA OR LCD TV YOU CAN EMAIL ME AT LAPTOPKINGSTER@GMAIL.COM
----------------------------
Don't be come his victim. He will not response to you after cashing your check.

Username: Plasma_sucka1

I wanted anyone who may have experienced a "pop" and loss of image on a Sony Plasma PFM42B1, to know that it is most likely a manufacturer defect and they will fix it for free (if you're in the states). If you own one of these early model Sonys like I do, and it pops and stops working, contact Sony and arrange for them to fix it. They sent me a crate, and sent movers to help put it in the crate and take it to the service center where they fixed it and returned it to me within two weeks!!! For NO cost!! Don't give up on it!!

Original Message posted below:

Hi All, yes I'm one of the suckers who went out and spent an ungodly sum on my Sony 42" Plasma (PFM42B1) about 4 years ago and just last night heard that famous loud POP and now it's dead. So, from what I'm reading I'm guessing I'm screwed? Any suggestions on how to go about finding someone to fix it? Or someone to buy it for parts? THANKS!

Username: Alfredocuba

My plasma 42 is dead, when turn on, the scream beginning flashing, next I turn off and turn on again and next never main work ok, because I Can't put video 1,2 o 3 , only can turn on and off but I can't change any channel also I can't change channel, what are sup oust to do ?
My email is alfredocuba@hotmail.com
ViewSonic VPW450HD 42 Flat Panel HDTV-Ready Plasma

Username: Jdiggs

hello i have a philips 42fd9953/17, I turn it on and no picture. can some help with advice!!

hello i have a philips 42fd9953/17, I turn it on and no picture. can some help with advice!!

hello i have a philips 42fd9953/17, I turn it on and no picture. can some help with advice!! email me @ jdiggs32@cox.net

Username: Rphoneguy01

PA

I have A Phillips 42FD9954/17S. Power supply needs repair. Will buy PS at a resonable $ or sell unit at resonable price. Philly PA suburb. email rphoneguy@aim.com

Username: Rphoneguy01

PA

repost for corrected email sorry

I have A Phillips 42FD9954/17S. Power supply needs repair. Will buy PS at a resonable $ or sell unit at resonable price. Philly PA suburb. email rphoneguy01@aim.com

Username: Thrashbash

I have a Prima 42" Plasma (PS-42T8) that someone broke while trying to steal it from my office, and as it's trashed I'd like to turn it into a coffee table! The front glass is intact, but all the guts are broken.

What do I need to know about the electrical components inside, so that I don't shock myself during disassembly?

thanks for any help you can give,

Ben.

Username: Vandyman

I have a Vizio 50" Phillips 50" and 42" with broken screens ready for Salvage. Anyone interested contact me at vandyman1@mac.com. I'll send pixs if interested

Username: Plasma_non_sucker

Anyone trying to rebuild a daewoo is out of his mind....daewoos are disposable tvs no matter what type of tv it is.
toss the thing and just buy a new one its not worth the trouble.
For those of you that have no idea whats wrong with your tv...heres a little tip.

This may seem wrong, but at the time I did it i really couldnt afford to do anything else.

I had a tv that did nothing when turned on.
Not knowing a thing about TVs other than signal stuff because I was a cable tv installer for years, I wanted to find out exactly what was wrong with it.
I called the local in home repairman that gives free estimates.
He came to the house and told me it was the flyback transformer.
Just to make sure, I called another free in home estimate guy out and he said it was the same thing.
They both quoted me a few hundred dollars to fix it.
I told them both I could not afford the repairs at this time.
Then I called the manufacturer as soon as the 2nd guy left the house and had them ship me the part.
I paid 80 bux and the part was at my door the next morning at 11 am.
That night i had worked to remove the old one, and was ready for the new one.
After I installed it, the TV worked like a champ until the day several years later when I gave it away....as far as I know it could still be working.

Username: Lordpookdai

i understand that it is not economical to attempt to repair my cracked screen 42" panasonic plasma. what i am wondering is if because the PDP is cracked (the glass is not cracked), will the display ever turn on again, is there something i can do to get it to turn on? I would really like to keep this tv and use it as an aux. tv if i can get the display to function, is that possible?

Username: Zidek666

Apple Valley, Minnesota USA

If you heard a loud pop and your plasma then goes dead even though your plasma screen is OK then it's likely a bad Power board. Many in this forum believe it's a capacitor(s) that's gone bad that's caused the popping sound but in fact it's usually one or more defective high voltage MOSFET power transistors that caused the popping sound.

These are notorious for self-destructing with a loud report. Capacitors usually just fizzle as if something were cooking. The HV MOSFET's supply the very high voltage the plasma screen requires and they are extremely susceptible to stray static electric charges. Particularly if the POWER board is not well shielded or grounded.

Sometimes, in environments where static electrical charges are picked up by users who then touch a plasma display or associated components connected to the TV, may trigger the internal HV power MOSFETs and cause them to fail. When they fail, a loud pop and an accompanying acrid smell is often experienced. It's a fairly common problem with Plasma TV's although not readily admitted to by the manufacturers.

For those with electronic experience and know how, many of the PS modules can be repaired by replacing the HV MOSFETs and all the driver transistors and nearby components. There are usually three to four of these HV Power MOSFETs on the same heatsink assembly. When one goes it's usually standard practice tto replace all three or four because if one goes there is a cascading effect that ruins the others nearby. Best practice is to replace all of them. Search the web for replacement HV Power MOSFET's suppliers. Get the part number off one that hasn't self destructed. I bought ten of these for less that $50 on the web.

I've successfully repaired several power boards for different manufacturer plasma displays and brought them back to life. All without service manuals or schematics!

For those that are electronically literate this may help you save the cost of replacing your Power board, or at the vey least tell your service personnel to check out the HV power MOSFETs.

It's a shame that in today's world most technicians are clueless about basic electronic theory and are only capable of replacing entire board modules or subassemblies rather than identifying defective individual components.

Hope this helps someone.

Username: Wraithe

Found this thread on a google search. I recently accquired a NEC PX-42VP1A. It powers on and after about 3 seconds it shuts back off. The display comes up but only for a second. According to the manual this indicates a non-working fan or short circuit. The fans work so I'm left thinking its a short circuit. I am looking for a RPS-9281 Rubycon board to replace it. Other numbers on it are: D9281M-01 KS N80 ; 79646681

If anyone has one, can you let me know the cost if its used but working? Are there any other tips anyone can give me as to why this doesn't work aside from the board? If it helps there is a red light that comes on (in the back of the tv with the outer shell off I can see it on the Analog power board) Is this normal?

Does anyone know any sites to buy the needed PSU board?

Just as an update, I spoke with a repair shop and the board part number has been changed for my particular plasma TV to 79646683 and I found one for sale on some website for 800 bux. If anyone has the matching part number and can save me some dough, please let me know.

PS Brennan, I was wondering if you still had your NEC PSU board...

Username: Mhutchings

I have NEC50-MP2 needs main and scan boards. Will sell as is or break for parts. Location Phoenix AZ.

Type me line
mike.hutchings@cox.net

Username: Drvee12

Advice Needed Please!!

I have a Philips 42FD9932 that is about 3 years old. It did the loud pop, red blinking light thing a few months ago, but after powering down a few hours, it came back to work another 3 months with no trouble. Popped again last week, and is no longer working. Heard about the Power Supply board issue and was ready to buy one, but a local tech offered to open it up with me and check the boards for $50.00. Appears the P/S board is ok, but 2 of the "chips" on what he calls the "scan board" have what appear to be small burn holes on them. This board has a ribbon cable that seems to be permanently attached to the screen, and I was told that the board in these older models is non replaceable, and the chips are not removeable either, and that essentially the TV is now a boat anchor.

Can anyone concur?

Thanks!

Username: Drvee12

Here is a pic of my "Scan" Board with burn holes in the chips:

Upload

Username: Zidek666

Apple Valley, Minnesota USA

I don't concur.
Those holes may be normal as I don't see any discoloration around them.

If you heard a loud pop, it's highly likely that a MOSFET Power transistor blew on the PS board. IC's rarely go "pop" when they malfunction. Have the tech re-examine the PS board and visually check all the transistor with heat sinks to determine if any are discolored or ruptured. Use a magnifying glass and a flashlight and visually check every component that has a heat sink for physical damage and discoloration.
If you find one get a tech that knows how to replace it and has a schematic diagram or simply get a new PS board. Also check any fuses on the PS board.

Steve Berman...shoot me an email at
YoYoDyneTechnologies@ca.rr.com
I may be able to help you out.

Username: Gnalven

Winston Salem, NC Usa

I have a broken NEC PX-50XM2A monitor.

The proper image appears but at what looks like low intensity. There were a number of strip artifacts as it failed and some popping coming from the right side of the screen as viewed. I opened it up and was able to verify voltages but since I have no manual was unable to verify waveforms. I believe that the horizontal controller board as failed. It is at the right side of the screen and seems to control the entire image.

Does anyone have a service manual? Have parts available? Advice?

I found my PSU board bere
http://www.ued.net/catalog/cat_item_idx_2652.html

I would see if you can locate your parts there or try finding stuff on ebay etc.

Username: Ivan_itebejac

FLORIDA

I have a Zenith 60" P60W26. I have lines that have recently appeared on the upper half of the screen. Some lines are red, green, blue, etc., but they remain on the upper half.

As the screen heats up, the lines become less noticeable. The TV has less than 8,000 hours of viewing time on it. Any advice? Is it serviceable? Any help is appreciated.

scan board is bad...needs to be replaced....some tv repair shops will do this...you just gotta find the one that will.

Username: Robmx

New York, NY USA

I have an Akai 42" PDP4225 plasma which has green pixels around dark areas and in many other places as well. When I power it on it is bad. Seems to go away for awhile after 10 minutes and comes back later. Sort of like rings of green pixels that denote a particular color gradient.

Is there a hidden menu for professionals to go in and adjust color temp etc?

What could this be?

New York, NY USA

Here is a photo of my green pixel problem.

New York, NY USA

Tenth attempt to show green pixel problem.Upload

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 163
Bob- Many plasmas do have a service menu that allows access to adjust the color decoders. Depending on the plasma, the actual number of decoders may vary. Panasonics have three, current pioneers have six. IN any case, may be you should call an iSF certified calibrator and see if they are familiar with Akai plasma ( who sources the glass and electronics--Akai doesnt make plasma glas as an FYI--they are getting it from somewhere else) or call Akai and see if they know the answer to the color decoder question. Also, keep in mind that white light should be adjusted first. If its off, then the colors cant ever really be collectively accurate.

New York, NY USA

Thanks.

I had an older Pioneer that had a problem with green pixels that started appearing along the top after the plasma had been on for an hour or more.

I found out how to get to the service menu, not available to normal users, and was able to use the service menu to lower the power level going to the screen and turn no the fans full time instead of intermittedly. That solved the problem.

Can't help but thinking this is similar. But it is not associated with heat buildup like I think the Pioneer was. This Akai has the problem all over the screen when you first turn it on. Later it goes away but returns. It is almost like it was a reverse of the heat problem, that is it happens when the set is cool not hot.

I am hoping it is a setting and not a board problem.

Username: Jeedai1

Hello All,

I am new to the forum. I have a 50" Plasma TV by LG. The inside glass is broken, I would like to know if I can get it fixed?

Any help and advise would be appreciated.

Username: Kevakasper

Lake Zurich, Il United states

Hi I am new to this forum, I have been looking for some help with this technology. I have recently acquired a 42" Panasonic plasma TV monitor. All I have is the TV portion of the whole assembly. ( Someone threw it away) I plugged it in and the screen does light up, but the unit powers down after a minute or so. I heard something rattling around, and last night I got ambitious, opened it up and found a screw bouncing around inside. I found a missing screw on a ground strap on one of the boards, gave it a shot and put it back together. To my surprise I was able to get it powered up and I got a picture. Problem is the picture kept cutting in and out. I am wondering if the screen is interchangeable with other Panasonic units. It was manufactured in 05. I have found several damaged in shipping "new" units on Ebay.( that way I get the stand, remote etc.) I have a good screen, just a bad board somewhere. It would be easiest to swap the screen and have all new internals. They look very similar in the pictures. How much damage do the boards take when a screen is damaged? Is there an interchangeability list somewhere? Or do I need to look for the exact same model? I would like to fix this on the cheap, maybe make one good unit out of two....Any suggestions? Thanks K

Username: Smokeystrings

I have a 42" Fujitsu PDS4221W-H Plasma Display 1024 X 1024. One third of the immage, left vertical side of screen, is not displaying video but the pixels are powering up when I turn the monitor on. I heard from a friend that this is a known issue and it is most likely a video card. What do you think?

Username: Lhmark5

NEED HELP PLEASE!

Hello All,

I have a Samsung 50" DNIE HPN-5039. I have had it for about 3 years with no problems. We use the plasma on a average of about 4 hours a day. Everything was fine and one night the picture just went in the middle of a program. There is sound, but no picture. The plasma is mounted on a wall profesionally and I had upgraded cables installed to the speakers and DVD., it's in tac and looks brand new. Any ideas what this could be. I know nothing about plasma and could use some help, Thanks..

Username: Lostnmo

I have a Magnavox Plasma that has just started when we turn it on, the screen is flashing. The picture is still there it just flashes bright light over it.

Any ideas? We can't seem to find anyone to fix it or that knows about Plasmas.

Thanks.

Username: Eisenheim

I have a Dell 36' plasma TV that is on my wall, when I was moving it it bumped up against the end of TV stand and the top right of the screen was damaged. It's not cracked or anything and looks perfectly fine when it's turned off. When I turn it on there is a circular crack and many cracks that break off from it. Also, I can't turn the channel or anything. From what I've seen about broken Plasma TVs, it's usually actual "cracks".

Does anyone know the problem and if it can be fixed?

Username: Kewlguy28

I have a non-working 42" NEC PlasmaSync 42VP4 for parts or repair. Was told by NEC tech support that it probably needed a new "PDP" module. I'm including the wall mount. Listed on eBay starting bid of $99. (Item #130133683413). Hopefully someone on this board can fix it and put it to good use. Thanks!

Post Number: 5
Hey Kewlguy28. I had a NEC PX-42VP1A and it had about the same issue. I was told by several repair shops that because of its age, it probably isn't worth fixing. I ended up posting it on craigslist and sold it for $300 in a week. Maybe you can give that a try to and see if you can get more money out of it. Either that or sell the parts individually on ebay (worth more that way). TV repair shops are generally looking for that kinda stuff.

Username: Eisenheim

I really need someone to reply to my post, my Dad is going to kill me if I don't find a way to fix it. It was laying on a table thing face down for a second then I heard a small crunch sound and it was like that. It's not physically cracked and you couldn't tell it's broken if it was turned off.

Username: Kevakasper

Lake Zurich, Il United states

When is the funeral? You have to replace the screen, might as well buy a new one! I have had this discussion trying to get mine repaired with several TV techs. I suggest asking for donations in lieu of flowers!

Username: Carlitoway

Hi,
I have a Sampo PME-42X6 plasma does not work, it only shows a blank screen without any pictures. I can turn it on with the remote control, but when I press the power button on the TV or remote control to turn it off, it does not work, anyone please help me with this issue,
thanks

Kevin,
Check the sides of the tv (or your user's manual). I had the same issue with the power button on the tv not working because I had them disabled. It was a little button I could press on the side of the tv. As for no display, only thing i can think of is to check your source and make sure its on. Try a different source to verify that works, and if it does, you might have a bad board.

Username: Ofriel

Hi, I bought a new 42'' panasonic plasma and it came with a long crack across the display panel, and another piece is broken.
My wife didnt check the content when she signed the delivery (I was on a business trip) which would have saved us the whole frustration cause she could refused the delivery.
Im going to contact the company tomorrow - has anyone faced this situation?

On their site they mention that they have no liability if customer accepted and signed the delivery?

The plasma is still in the box as we got it.

any ideas? please advise!!!

Username: Npeekhaus

Harleysville, PA

I have a 42" panasonic plasma with cracked PDP (the glass is not broken). How much it may cost to fix this. This TV is about 18 months old. TV powers on and off but no picture. Any help would be great.

Username: Deadman71

Hi, I am a HP, Vizio, Dell, Pioneer tech along with other brands. I am looking for junk plasma's and LCD's in the Texas area to purchase for used parts. Don't bother asking a $1,000 out of your TV you will never get that much when ebay sells 50-60" broken plasma's for about 100-200 each. You can contact me at cowboypoet@gvtc.com with the specs and your asking price. I will then contact you and let you know if I will pick up your TV. Also if you have a board problem, you can also contact me about repairs, I do board work to repair these and I am resonably priced. I am in the San Antoio area to let you know where you can ship or drop off your TV for repairs.

Username: Andrewkl

Hi all... Hoping I can get a little help and save alot of $$. I have a Panasonic TH-42PD50U with a thin white line running up and down the left side of the screen. I have identified (I think) the cause, and need help with a fix. Inside the set, there is a series of ribbon type cables that "plug" into the bottom of the screen. The cable itself appears fine, so I'm thinking (hoping) there is an impediment on the inside contact. How can I clean these contacts?

Username: Deadman71

First of all, you can go to radio shack and get a can of contact cleaner that will do that job you are wondering about. Secondly your problem sounds more like a board problem and not with the ribbons at all. It would probably help you to call the manufactur's tech support and just ask them general questions about the possiable problem. I am betting they will tell you that either the X or the Y board will need to be replaced.

Thanks Dale. Hope you got my email yesterday. I'm going to try the cleaner. Another tech had told me that this could be a problem with an IC controller (or something like that). I noticed when I pull this ribbon cable out completely, I have a wide swath of white screen. When it's in, there is only a white stripe. Hoping it's just oxidized and can be cleaned...

Username: Emmas

Hi

For the future buy a tv screen protector. It has saved my plasma on many occasions

www.thescreenprotector.com

Emmas

Emma Sands post sounds an awful lot like spam to me.....

Username: Coloryan

I have an older Hitachi PD1 plasma screen. I had some people over the other day, and it fell off the wall. The TV still works, but I'm only getting black and white.... is it something I can fix, or did I get dropped back to the 60's?

Username: Oneragingbull

Fort Worth, TX USA

I am looking for replacement screens for the following tv's. Can anyone get these or point me in the right direction? I would greatly appreciate it.

LG 37LC2D
Philips 32PFL5332D
Philips USA 42PFL7432D/37

Username: Bklein

Trabuco Canyon, CA US

I have an HP PE4240N with P42V6 board set (LG?)
It has good audio but bad video after a power outage. Vertical colored stripes with varying color per in the stripe per picture. Channel display makes white strips. Some guys say YSUS board and 2 driver boards bad, another guy says CTL board and 2 associated boards. Need to undertand what board does what and which is bad. Too expensive to experiment with buying wrong boards.

Upload
Upload

Username: Desiguy1981

42"jvc Plasma Screen Problem!
Model # VM - 42WV74..JVC PLASMA.. when I am watching tv..time to time, a LINE comes through the screen on LEFT hand side..its about 1" wider.. it doesnt move .. its at a specific place..Does anyone Have any IDEA how can I get rid of it..any help would be GREAT..THX in Advance.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14144
Have you tried to take it to a shop and get it repaired?

Username: Desiguy1981

yep...they want 500 bucks for it..i rather just go buy a new one..but wanted to know if i can fix it...im preety good with electronic stuff...if i know wat the problem is..ill surely fix it..

Trabuco Canyon, CA US

I took mine to Ali at Discount-Merchant.com (see earlier post in this thread). I blasted the internet for advice on fixing my plasma and got totally differing suggestions. So taking it to him was the only sure bet. Luckily it seems two Y driver boards were bad - the cheapest boards and he had them in stock. There are also some voltage adjustments suggested after boards are swapped and you likely will not have the equipment to do them.

Trabuco Canyon, CA US

Oh, also, given the problem you cite, it sounds like what is called a chip on flex. The chip is on the flex circuit that goes to the plasma tube directly. I am not sure how they fix that. Do a Google search for PDP42V6.pdf and download it - look at page 13. (too big to attach here)
Barry

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14148
Dang, now that's some skill. I would have just thrown it out and bought a new one.

Username: Johnny2008

Hi everyone. My LG plasma tv model LG 42PX5D are gone with the problem display shaking. Any one have a good solution how to solve it? I use google search, and get one of the website they provide plasma tv repair training manual & others tips. Is it good choice or a scam? The website is plasma-television-repair.com . Any suggestion please let me know. Thanks

Username: Shxlla1

I have a 42" Samsung Plasma that was damaged when we moved. The front glass is in tact, but the plasma inside is cracked. I am in Portland, OR, and would prefer not to ship. Anybody in the area who would like it for parts, email me with an offer. linzibug@yahoo.com

Username: Gizianne

Fairburn, GA USA

Hi guys I am in Atlanta, I have an element 42" plasma tv and the screen is broken please tell me how I can get it repaired. I got this one on sale at circuit city. Can't afford another one. please help.

gizianne@yahoo.com

Username: Michaelhauser

Springfield, TN United States

I have a Dell W4200HD 42" Plasma TV with a broken screen. The outer layer is perfect, the second layer of glass is shattered and scratched the third (white) layer. Any chance someone has a TV like this for sale, with a good screen that needs all the other parts? or maybe a screen for a reasonable price?

Username: Normrud

Lake Mills, WI USA

I have a 42" Plasma Monitor PFM-42B1 that goes blank usually after several minutes and occasionally goes all day without fail. The picture when working is great.
When it goes blank, I don't hear any perceptible sounds. The standby led light red starts to blink 6 times and then repeats. The 5 or so internal fans also stop and no power seems to go to the display or circuit boards.
I have taken the back panel off and inspected all components, boards and wiring and found no visble damage. I've cleaned the back panel and all the circuit boards with a PC Spray can made for cleaning circuit boards.
Can someone help me find the problem?
If you know of someone who can fix the problem or that has components that will fix it, please contact me at nkrjhr@gdinet.com. Wisconsin

Username: Millertime20

Zimmerman, Mn Us

looking for a screen for a nec lcd5710 57inch i broke mine hopeing someone has one and they want to sell the screen jwmiller@hotmail.com

Username: Gizianne

Fairburn, GA USA

anyone with a 42" lg screen...Looking for a good screen.

Username: Millertime20

Zimmerman, Mn Us

if any body knows how much these go for nec lcd5710 selling it for parts broke screen

Username: Cfmx

Hello all I have a Panasonic th-42px60u that needs fixed. The TV has a line about a inch wide going down the left side about 6 inchs in on the TV. I took it to the local shop and he told me it would cost over a thousand for the repair. I have already purchased all the boards from ebay to fix this problem because I thought that it was a issue with a board. Any help would be great, I think the service person told use that it would cost alot because the TV looks trashed after getting it back. David

David, the reason it will cost so much is because the plasma panel itself will need to be replaced. I had the same problem, bought new boards, and then found out that the cables that were bad and causing the white line were integrated into the screen itself, and not user replaceable or repairable.. Sorry for the bad news...

Trabuco Canyon, CA US

Problem probably with chip on flex (COF). If you find a broken screen unit cheap you may be able to take the chip off it and put it on yours. But it is surface mount work and very tricky to do. Might also be a driver board but you would want to find someone that has them to try a swap. What area are you located?

Username: Cfmx

I have all the boards for the TV and guts (wires, etc from a whole set I purchased just like mine) I live In Florida by Tampa a little trip from CA by brother lives out there and loves the 10+ hour flights. I'm really good with this and working on boards I have exp with Computers and such and after looking at the TV I thought I could fix it. At this point I'm going to tear into it and try to see if I can because if not its just going in the trash so later when I'm at home I'll take a picture and post it. Thanks for all the info.

Trabuco Canyon, CA US

Hey, that's a keen plan... Insure it and then pack it marginally so the airline busts the screen. :-)
I took mine to Discount-merchants.com site near the Mexico border. They have spare parts and can fix it cheaply if it is fixable.

Username: Joedfleo

Bethlehem, Pa Usa

PIONEER PDP-V40140" PLASMA
While I was watching, the screen turned pink and the power supply went into power protect. The green power light stays on, but you can hear the supply shut down. One of the cooling fans dosen't spin when i turn it on, can this a problem?

Username: Teo2

I NEED A BROKEN SCREEN FOR SONY PFM-42B1 .I BUY ANY BROKEN(not functional) SCREEN IN ANY CONDITION JUST FOR SONY PFM-42B1 OR 42B1E.
PLEASE E-MAIL ME TO: OVIT@SBCGLOBAL.NET

Username: Cosmiclife

I have a Panasonic TH-37PWD4 that is not functioning properly. A few days ago the top half of the screen started blanking out intermittently. I called Panasonic and they told me to do a hard reset by unplugging the unit. It started fine after this, but then went back to black on the top. I again turned it off, and when I turned it back on the top of the screen was multi-colored. The pixels weren't forming the image. The closest repair shop wants $100.00 just to look at it, and that's if I bring it to them. I build my own computers, etc. so if it's just a board I can order and replace that myself. Can anyone help?

Username: Malice95

For all of you with Broken plasmas or LCDs I feel for you. My daughter broke my new 47" lcd right before christmas.. basically an 1800 dollar loss. My suggestion.. pick up a screen protector from http://www.tv-armor.com It stops people from cracking the screen accidently. Now I dont worry about her playing near the TV.

Username: Lcdrepair

Jakarta, West java Indonesia

I've been around in plasma industry, I have plasma tv repair shop in my country. For you who have problem with your plasma tv, I recommend this http://cheapebook.net/plasma-television-repair.html ebook, since I already use it almost 3 months for myself and my business. If you need help just send email, they will help you fast. I like the support. That's not my website, I just try to help you mate. Thanks.

Username: Reeldvd1

I NEED A LG 42IN LG42PC3D NO BROKEN SCREENS PLEASE OR A HP PL4260N
REELDVD1@COMCAST.NET

Username: Sundance240b

Hey try this manual http://www.plasma-television-repair.com/?id=sundance240b}

Username: Tefeta

:
Help! My son threw his mobile phone at our plasma screen and although the glass isnt broken, it doesnt show any picture but a load of red and blue lights where it was hit. Can this be fixed?

Username: Ezzra

Hi,
In a moment of stupidity i have tried to clean my 50" Pioneer PDP
with a cleaning solvent and that got the film coating to peel off
an now also some scratches are showing on the screen,
is there any thing that can be done to remedy the damage?

Thanks,

Username: Av_forum

Ontario Canada

Hi Paul,
regarding your 50" Pioneer PDP screen issue,.... no, there's nothing you can do except have the screen replaced, which unless you can find a good used one from a reputable source, is too expensive, and not worth it.

Username: Mondayman

i have a samsung 42" hd plasma screen an a 52" . screen only no casing.
i want to buy broken flatscreen tvs to put them inside. Anyone know the model number tvs i need to install the screens into. Thanks very much.

42"model:S42AX-YB02 (made 2008)
52"model:S50FHh-YB02 :50fhd,uf1,1 ( made 2009)

Username: Dusher

All, a lot of the problems for plasmas are power supply problems. the displays are expensive so they cheap out on the power supplies. the best way to see if it is a power supply issue is to remove the back, power turn it on, and look at any LED power indicators on the boards. If you see the power led flickering on a power supply board or other board, its a power supply issue. In this case, its usually bad capacitors and sometimes a chip. Take it someplace that actually fixes TV's and you can GitRdone for about $300 or less.

Note: when the power supply is going out, you may notice that it takes an increasingly long time before you get a viewable picture. during warmup you might see stripes, colored boxes, or other nonsense.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us