Was going with a samsung, but ...

Username: Hunter759

Vineland, Nj Usa

Post Number: 1
after reading all of the info on the boards, not so sure. I am an avid gamer and read a lot about gaming being out of sync. I have read a few other post saying that this has been fixed with the newer TVs, but then read about other complaints about Samsung. My second choice was Sony, but they seem to have problems as well. Is Toshiba any better? I know no company is perfect, but is there any suggestion of what brand I should go with. I have done a lot of research, but I don't want to shell out close to 5 grand on something that breaks or dies in the first year. Any help would be appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 72
I've had a JVC HD52z585 52" DiLA TV for over 2 months now with no issues. I play Xbox on it daily and I've never had any problems with it. I have it connected using component cables via the HD A/V pack. A big part of our decision to buy an HDTV was for HD football, and the release of Halo 2. I was just like you, and I thought Samsung was the way to go. After reading thread after thread of problems with the Sammy DLPs I decided to look for something else. I looked at just about everything out there and decided on the JVC. You can find a 52" for around $3k, and the 61" for well under 4k. Good luck with your search.

Bronze Member
Username: Tmskilz

Post Number: 64
Damn, I feel sorry for you Mr Lynch. When I get my Samsung 1080p set next yr, I'll be back to brag about to you while you stuck with the JVC D-Lia & all of it's problems.

Chadd
Unregistered guest
I just got the Sony 50" 655 series and I love it. I bought the Monster HD Gamelink cables for my XBox and the picture is simply amazing.

My brother has the Samsung 60" and has some audio lag problems that I've heard he can get fixed with a firmware upgrade.

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 77
TMSKILZ-

What is with the personal attack? You feel sorry that I could enjoy 3 incredible games (Red Sox/Astros/MNF)in High Definition last night?
If you want to talk about problems go read all the Sammy posts. Samsung has poor quailty control. They are the Hyundai of TV manufacturing. A/V sync problems, rainbow effect, 3 blinking light issues. I really like the products they make, but I don't trust them.
What makes you think the 1080p sets will come out anytime soon? They can't even get the tabletop HD2+ sets released (74/77 series). 1080p is not even a supported HD format. Broadcasters are having enough problems with 720p /1080i due to limited bandwidth constraints, there is no way 1080p will be supported by networks for a long, long time. Also, the upcoming Sammy 1080p set is actually a 960x1080 chip that uses a mirror trick to display at 1920x1080. Based on Samsungs track record I'm not sure how well they will pull it off. I am also not willing to spend 10k on a TV that I cannot get full use out of. Until Blue-Ray or HDDVD become mass market products there will be no way to take full advantage of a 1080p set. People are just now getting use to DVD, and that has been available for close to 10 years.

When the time came for me to buy a new TV it was not a tough choice. I wanted to stay around 3k so a good plasma was out of the question. My wife is very sensitive to "rainbow effect" so DLP was not an option either. LCD is dim and the pixel spaces are quite large (screen door effect) so that left us with CRT or the JVC. The JVC is by no means perfect, but it fits what we wanted.

While you wait around for the "next big thing" thousands of people like myself will be enjoying what is available now. DLP, LCoS, LCD, or whatever you choose. I do like the potential of the 1080p displays and if you do decide to wait for the 1080p displays I'm sure you will enjoy it a lot. I really do hope they get all the bugs worked out because it should be an amazing set.

Bronze Member
Username: Tmskilz

Post Number: 66
Play nice Mr Lynch!

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 96
I wasn't trying to be hard on you. If you took it that way I'm sorry about that. The forum is here to help people out, not to insult others decisions. By the way, have you heard the news from Intel regarding LCoS? There is a good story here:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1681640,00.asp

Do you have an HD set or are you waiting for the 1080p products?

Username: Hunter759

Vineland, Nj Usa

Post Number: 2
Thanks for all the advice, guys. Wow that article you posted scares me a little away from the JVC. Thank goodness I am not getting one till next summer. Hopefully these companies will work out all there problems. I know no companies is without problems, but there seem to be some problem with each tv they have out there, doesn't matter which company you go with. Keep up the goo discussions.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 101
The JVC DiLA is a different setup than what Intel was trying to do. Intel was going for a mass produced single chip system to compete with TI's DLP chips. Philips and Toshiba also dropped the single chip LCoS systems. JVCs system is a 3 chip setup, and it is quite a bit different than what others have tried. They have been using the 3 chip (DiLA) system in their projectors for many years. They are also some off the highest rated projectors you can get. The system is kind of a cross between DLP and LCD, and seems to work really good IMO. Your right about draw backs with all the different options, but I know whatever type you choose you will most likely end up very happy when you get it home.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us