Audio/video sync issues with HLP5085W

Bronze Member
Username: Unforgivn

Post Number: 14
Audio/Video sync issue driving me nuts!

5085W using satelite via DVI thru samsung 360 reciever (set to output @ 720). Sync problems only seem to happen during "live" broadcasts (presidential debate (in sd), monday night football (in SD). Got HD football package, games look awesome in HD (no sync issues during HD game), but almost without fail sync issues will appear during commercials.

Thought it may have been the HLP5085, had BB deliver another set today and exchange, same problems with new TV. Anyone know what the heck is goin on????

If it is the 5085, seems to be general desig issue. Same sync problem using component conect. Does not seem to be source problem, as no sync issues with tube TV. WTF - Frustrated and confused, any ideas what is going on? Could it be the 360 HD receiver?

Username: Mchuckp

Post Number: 4
I've read this problem with so many samsung dlp sets. However, I have not heard any definitive answer to why exactly it happens. Many are saying that it is because of all the video conversions that it is doing and thus being behind the audio. This makes sense. However, it seems weird that only some people have the problem. I am wondering if maybe it is just an issue with everyone's set up on the whole. Maybe some satellite/cable receivers and audio receivers when used together tend to have this issue but is not thoroughly documented. Seems like a hit or miss problem that you just have to get the set and if it happens you are screwed and you have to return the set and if it doesn't then consider yourself lucky.

I wish I could read somewhere exactly why this happens and how to avoid it but I have not been able to decipher any rhyme or reason anywhere yet.

If anyone has a decent explanation I would love to hear it before I go buy one in a few months.

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 67
The problem is definitely a Samsung issue. on October 3rd I ran a test at my house to try to figure out what the problem is. I have a JVC HD-52Z585, a motorola 5100 HD cable box, a Toshiba SD-5970 upscaling DVD player, and Harmon Kardon AVR430 receiver. I've never experienced any sync issues at all. A good friend of mine was having A/V sync problems with his Sammy HLP4663 so I asked him to bring his set over before the repair guy came out.
First we hooked up his Sammy 4663 to the cable box via component cables, audio went from the cable box to the reciever via a coax digital cable. There were noticable sync problems with some of the HD content. Mainly the channels broadcast in 1080i. The 720p channels were pretty good. SD programs were hit and miss. Some were fine, others had slight problems that only lasted a few seconds. When I hooked up the DVD player via a HDMI to DVI cable there were mixed results. when set to a 720p output, there were no sync issues. When set to 1080i and 480p we encountered slight sync issues. Composite and S-video had really bad sync issues.
This lead us to believe that the video processor in the Samsung is the cause the problem. When the built-in processor has to convert the signal to 720p to fit it's native resolution it does this rather slow, causing the video to display slightly behind the audio. When we unhooked the receiver and just ran the audio thought the built in speakers, we saw no sync problems.
On Oct. 4th the repair guy came out to my friends place and replace the entire light engine with one built by a different manufacturer Sammy has switched to. For the next week everything seems to be fine. He has noticed only 1 or 2 sync issues and they go away after 20 secounds or so. I took my DVD player to his place on Oct 9th and we ran the same tests we did before. The Sync problem seems to have been fix for the most part. They still pop up every now and then, but they are slight, and not very noticable. The picture by the way was outstanding when using the Tosh DVD player with the Sammy. We both think that after spending close to 3k on a TV, he should NOT have these kind of problems. I never hear about them with other manufacturers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us