ONKYO CONNECTION QUESTION

Anonymous
I JUST BOUGHT AN ONKYO 653 HOME THEATER SYSTEM. I HAVE THE SAT TUNNER AND DVD CONNECTED TO RCVR BY S VIDEO CABLES. THE CONNECTION OUT TO TV IS ALSO S-VIDEO. MY PROBLEM IS MY OLD VCR DOES NOT HAVE AN S-VIDEO CONNECTOR AND WHEN I TRY CONNECT THE VCR THROUGH THE RCVR WITH AUDIO/VIDEO CABLE, ALL I GET IS THE AUDIO, NO VIDEO. DOES THIS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH RCVR NOT BEING ABLE TO SWITCH BETWEEN DIFFERENT VIDEO TYPES? SHOULD THIS CONNECTION WORK?

Anonymous
you'll need to connect the component video out of the VCR into the component input of the RCVR .. then you need to have a component monitor out connection to your TV. It won't switch between video types.

po
Just to be nitpicky, its composite video cables (single yellow RCA typically) he's talking about, not component video (which are set of three RCA cables). Probably typing too fast.
-po

Anonymous
hehe .. thanks po, i had a brain f*rt (i can't believe this board won't allow the word f*rt) .. hehe

po
That's alright anonymous, I originally wrote "Just to be a_nal" and I had to change to "nitpicky" hehe. They don't allow you to talk about r_ectal (that was flagged too!!) areas on this board either.

Blue King
I hooked up a DVD player and VCR through the receiver (from HT-S650). I have S-video and composite video between DVD player and receiver, TV and receiver, only composite video between VCR and receiver. I only get audio when playing the VCR. DVD plays fine. BUT, if I take off the S-video cable from the TV, VCR video signal goes through and it works fine. It is like the S-video cable on the TV blocks the composite video signal. What should I do so that I don't have to unplug the s-video cable from the TV when playing the VCR? I think I had it working once :-(, don't know what I changed and now it doesn't work any more.

Thanks for any help.

Blue King
I think the S-video cable actually blocks the composite video input. If you want to use s-video for dvd and composite video for VCR, your TV needs at least two video inputs and one of which has s-video. Once you hook up s-video, the corresponding composite input is disabled. This seems to be the case for me. If I am wrong, please let me know.

Thanks.

Anonymous
I have an Onkyo DVD and Onkyo AV amp. The s-video wire does not transmit a picture from the DVD or from the AV to the Toshiba TV (with s-video imput). Troubleshooting states that I have only hooked up the s-video and to hook up additional video, but is not clear. Cable enters to converter, then through vcr to tv. Both video 1 and video 2 are used for these. Any ideas.
Frustrated.

I just purchased a onkyo lvs950 home theater system. When I power up the dvd receiver the power stays on for about 10-15 secs and then shuts off. The standby light on the receiver then proceeds to flash. What's wrong? Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us