Brand New to Home Theater Stuff...HELP!!

Username: Greenie

Post Number: 1
Pleas help. I am some what new to Home Theater stuff. I have recently finished my basement ( about 1000 sq ft.) and I would like to set up a home theater. I have purchased a JVC 56" HDTV. I am looking to spend about $1500-1700. Here's what I know. I don't like Bose systems as they don't have that"punch" to the sound. I have listed to Kplisch at Best Buy..not sold on it. The sound was missing highs ( not clear/crisp)and at lows it got muddy. I was reading in Consumer Reports pretty nice things about Cambridge Sound Works and I was considering that; however, not being able to listen to it before buying..I am not too crazy about that. I was thinking for my room size anywhere from 80 to 100 watts/chan should be plenty. Any suggestions on speakers and recievers?? Help! What should I be looking out for? Is my budget enough to get me a decent theater set up? What type of issues should I be concerned with? What about a subwoofer. Is 200 watts good enough or something higher? Anything you guys can help out will be of great value to me. Thx. in advance.

howlswolf
Unregistered guest
i went with polkaudio speaker and sony str-995 , i like the combo, good quality of sound. the 995 was the best i could get for the money (7.1) at the time i bought it. Polk speaker are what i was looking for, good accoustic quality.
For your sub well it all depends how you like bass ;) but i can tell ya that i rarely push the limit on my 150w sub ... only when i want to show off , than the wall SHaKE to a unconfortable level. thought all my speaker are what they call *Large* one so ... bass is comming from all around the room + the sub :-)

Anyways thats my little system, something not to forget is the price of cable to consider ... damn they expensive if you want good one's
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us