Onkyo HT-S650 connections

Dan
I just got the Onkyo 650 system. I already had a DVD player hooked up to the S-Video input of my TV. I connected the DVD to the Onkyo through an optical audio cable. The Onkyo manual says to hook the DVD video into the receiver video input and then the receiver video output into the TV. Is there any reason to do this? I already have the DVD video going to my TV, so is there a benefit to running it through the Onkyo?

Anonymous
Not that I know of, unless you have multiple s-video sources and want to do video switching through the receiver.

jpaulreddy
There's no reason to do this if it's working. However, hooking your DVD player up to the receiver (instead of directly to the tv) eliminates extra steps if your tv has multiple video modes. Of course, you'll need an extra S-video wire which isn't worthwhile for the effort it takes to push a button on your tv remote. The real benefit of hooking it up through the receiver is for multiple video sources, especially when your tv only has one video input. One "con" about video-switching with the receiver is that it "supposedly" degrades video signals "slightly."

My excessive use of quotation marks should tell you just how dubious I am about this assertion.

Happy viewing/listening.

Blue King
I just bought an Onkyo HT-S650. I hooked up a DVD player and VCR through the receiver (from HT-S650). I have S-video and composite video between DVD player and receiver, TV and receiver, only composite video between VCR and receiver. I only get audio when playing the VCR. DVD plays fine. BUT, if I take off the S-video cable from the TV, VCR video signal goes through and it works fine. It is like the S-video cable on the TV blocks the composite video signal. What should I do so that I don't have to unplug the s-video cable from the TV when playing the VCR? I think I had it working once :-(, don't know what I changed and now it doesn't work any more.

Thanks for any help.

Blue King
I think the S-video cable actually blocks the composite video input. If you want to use s-video for dvd and composite video for VCR, your TV needs at least two video inputs and one of which has s-video. Once you hook up s-video, the corresponding composite input is disabled. This seems to be the case for me. If I am wrong, please let me know.

Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us