Fixed vs variable audio output

Username: Sivic

Post Number: 1
I currently have a tv with a variable audio output connected to my stereo receiver. When I adjust the volume using the tv's remote control, both the sound coming from the tv and from the receiver's speakers goes up or down simultaneously. My question is: if I buy a tv with a fixed audio output, will the stereo receiver's remote then control both the tv's volume and the receiver's volume simultaneously, or will their respective volumes have to be adjusted independently of one another using both remotes?

Anonymous

Can you turn your volume on the TV all the way down and then be controlled by the receiver alone? I am in the process of replacing my old Panasonic 25" but it has both Fixed and Variable audio out. When it is in Variable audio out I can control the sound on my receiver with my TV remote but the TV speakers are off, when it is in Fixed audio out I can only control my volume with my receiver remote but either way my TV speakers are off. I had a lot of trouble finding any answers about this a few weeks ago. We have a brand new Samsung 42" Tabletop HDTV on its way and I was trying to find info on the fixed/variable audio out, ect. I think with the new Samsung that I will have to turn the audio all the way down and control it with my receiver all though I am not sure that I can't turn the volume down.

Good luck...

<><

Anonymous

Select "Speakers off" in the audio section of the TV menu. This will allow you to use the tv's volume remote to adjust the stereo sound. If you are hooked up to stereo speakers, you shouldn't be using the TV speakers at all.

Unregistered guest
I have a sony ht-ddw660 and its ran off HD optic cable. The prob is after about 20-30 the audio starts cutting in and out with the words unlock right after it (the audio) cuts out. Iv tried everthing and even took it to my brothers house and it didnt do it on his system. Any ideas?

Post Number: 2
Your receiver will not control the tv's volume when it is in variable mode. However, the tv should control both its volume and the receiver's volume at the same time. Your speakers on your tv are probably turned off. Find the audio setup portion of the menu, and select speakers "on". Then you should be able to hear sound coming from the tv's speakers, as well as your receiver speakers, regardless of whether its fixed or variable output. Let me know if that works, and if so, when it is in fixed output mode, can you control the volume of the tv using the receiver's remote?

Username: Bantamcc

Post Number: 5
Al,

Is this Al Greevy from PCOT fame ? Well if it is, small world ! Des here from Coolbreeze in Pointe Claire.

I have same setup and my TV remote only controls my TV. You sure your not turning volume up on your Cable or satellite receiver ? I have fixed on my TV and that's why only my TV is affected.

Will test more tonight and let you know.

See post in front of mine. Try that first.

Keep your head up !

;-)

johnm
Unregistered guest
If you are using a surround system never, never use the tv's speakers.
Reason being, a receiver process' the audio signal and sends distinct sounds to 5 individual speakers. The effect created can make sound come from left, or right, or from behind you, or from left rear, etc.
If you use the tv speaker it's playing all those signals together at once through the tv. It totally ruins the effect. Now instead of hearing a plane approach from over your right shoulder the sound comes from the tv also. Not good.
So set your tv speaker to "off" and your output to "fixed" and never use that tv speaker again.
And if tv shows sound funny in surround, switch the receiver to stereo mode and you'll be fine.

Post Number: 3
Well john, i understand the concept of surround sound, but that is not the point. My question remains: will a fixed audio setup allow me to control the tv's volume (if i choose to hear sound from the tv in addition to the receiver's speakers) by using the controller on the receiver? Now, can anyone who has a fixed audio setup answer this question?

johnm
Unregistered guest
no, setting the tv to "fixed" will not allow you to control the tv's volume with the receiver.
The tv will either 1) turn it's own speaker off when switched to "fixed" output, or 2) keep it's speaker on and only be controlled by the tv/tv remote volume control.

Unregistered guest
Anyone know if a new Panasonic PT-LCX63 has a hidden variable audio output or can be?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us