SR601 goes to PROTECT mode.. Please help

Username: Visakk

Post Number: 1
I bought a ONKYO SR601 from USA to India.
The system originally accepts 120V at 60Hz, but in India uses 230V at 50Hz electricity, so I bought a Step Down transformer that converts 230V to 120V. when I switched on my system that system is going into PROTECT mode. Can some one throw some light on this issue..?
I took the system to ONKYO local showroom for which they could not help much. I have a Gut feeling that the problem could have been with Step Down transformer only, cause that's only new thing in this setup. So I took the Step Down transformer to a Local Electronic workshop and put it for test, it is exactly emiting 120V, then I put the SR601 to TestBed and observed the system is going to PROTECT mode even at 120V then the Voltage has been put between 93-103, the system is perfect, it is NOT going to PROTECT mode. This is a very big puzzle for me.I am not qualified to examine/comment cause, but this is what my observation is. It is also observed that the system is not at all able to take voltages above 103, it is accepting as low as 86V.So I have ordered a customized Transformer that outputs only 100V constant.But even then when I brought Tranformer to House, the system is producing sound for 1 min and then going to PROTECT mode..? Can some one help in finding the cause/remedy for this..? It is true that the local ONKYO show room cannot help me much in this regard as the unit was bought in US. Someone tell me the other means and ways to find out the problem and do something to it

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1421
Sorry for the off topic, Siva. Were you by any chance in the Sacramento are during your stay in USA? Or is Kollipara a common name?

Username: Visakk

Post Number: 2
Sorry I was not in Sacramento, but in Little Rock,AR.
Kollipara is a surname, but not very common. You must have met a distance cousin of mine :-)
BTW Under what circumstances a Receiver goes to PROTECT mode, my receiver's situation is very bad now it simply shuts down, even if it is not connected to speakers or inputs.

Username: Forcedinduction

Post Number: 5
Your problem lies in that the India electricity is running at 50 hz. You need a beefier device to convert the 230 50 hz to 120 60 hz. In the military, we use very large devices that do this job. Don't know what to tell you than to look for a receiver that runs on 230/50 hz. it may be your cheapest option.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us