I need some help.

Username: Vash

Post Number: 1
For the past couple of months, my TV's speakers have been making cracking/popping noises after about 20 minutes after it has been turned on.
Is there anything I can do to fix this?
I got myself an Aiwa speaker system, thinking I could use that and turn off the sound on my TV. But I find that it only amplifies the TV's speakers and it just makes the popping/cracking noises louder. Is there any way to use my system as the primary system? Can I use it with my TV's speakers off?
Sorry, I don't really know a lot about these things. But help would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous

I will try, because others might not -what your asking is tricky without knowing all the details (like what TV you have for starters). Obviously, my comments will be general because of this.

Some TVs may allow external speakers to be connected in addition to the internal ones, but most people in this BBS do not use or recommend this. Your problem may be to do with the internal speakers, but is more likely your TVs audio board (what's the chances of both L+R speakers getting buggered up the same way at the same time). Thus any speakers connected will have the same problem.

The prefered home theatre way is to NOT use TV speakers/audio board at all. Shut them off. Buy a dedicated Audio/Video reciever and connect it to external speakers and use your TV as a video "Monitor" only. This would save you fixing your old TV that may not even be worth the repair, and give you good surround sound at the same time -extending the usefull life of your old TV. If your TV's audio is shot, you could just use your VCR's audio outs to the reciever.

Home Theatre systems (in a box) are very well featured for little money and are an affordable way in. There is no limit, however, and you can buy systems worth more than your house if you like.

The catch is, the cheap "in-a-box" systems are only good enough to get you addicted by showing you what you have been missing out on by not having surround sound. Half the people that buy them will stay with them till they die, the other half want more and return to their A/V Dealer to get a bigger, better dose.

Most people in here are on the harder core side of this spectrum, I for example, have a system that is worth about $15,000. Some here have spent more on cables alone than you would ever on a new TV.

I recommend going to your local trusted A/V dealer and talking to a knowleable salesman about your problem (speakers/sound on your TV is crap) and mention "home theatre". He'll fix you up. Be ready to open your wallet, if your nervous, spend less to try it out (a sample) on a "disposable" (in-a-box) system but make sure it has enough (and the proper kind) of inputs (i.e., VCR and TV -they usually have built in DVD), otherwise, spend as much as you could see yourself surviving if it was lost. There may be a side effect -you may want a new TV so your video will match your new audio. ;)

Good luck.

Anonymous

Oops, that Awai "speaker" system may include a receiver, thus you are mostly there (if it has any inputs on the back of the "non-speaker-unit" AKA the receiver).

I was assuming you just bought some speakers and plugged them into your TV, if you DO have a receiver, and the TV is currently connected to the receiver by RCA cables, your TVs audio board IS gone, and yes, the receivers built in amp is amplifying the crap that's coming out of your TV. In this case, connect your VCR's audio outs to the receivers inputs instead. If you do not have a VCR, get one (cheaper than the TV repair -even if it is just a cleaning).

Either way, yes, please turn off the TV speakers/sound. Silence is better than cracking/popping.

Not happy having to listen to the channel that the VCR is recording, when you would rather be watching something else -sorry, another VCR will be needed and connected to your system or you'll need a new TV which is probably the way you should go if you can afford it. I am also assuming you can't or would rather not or you wouldn't be in here asking the question in the first place.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for replying. I'm only 15, so I don't have the money for a really nice system. Earlier I cleaned all the dust out from the TV. It worked this time for about 4 hours until the speakers made noises again.
And yes, it does use a receiver. I'm going to go get the VCR from downstairs and hook it up. Thanks a lot for your help. I'll be back later to tell you if it works.
PS: I am planning on getting a new TV soon. I'd like to be able to play games and use the TV in my room for the time being, though. Again, thanks a lot for the help.

Post Number: 3
After I hooked it all up, I'd just realized what you said about only hearing the channels the VCR is recording. I'm getting a new TV this weekend, hopefully, so forget it. I can wait it out for a couple more days. Thanks for the help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us