Basement HT, framing next week, advice please?

Username: Lzk4

Post Number: 1
Hello,
I have learnt a lot the last few days reading the posts on this forum, thanks to all who participate. I'm getting my basement finished and to my surprise, my wife really wants to get a HT (projector/screen etc). Of course, the regular constraints: speakers have to be small, on the wall, no floor-standing, wires have to be behind dry-wall etc etc. I have a small closet underneath the stairs that I plan to use as an equipment closet (with a recessed wall cabinet/rack of some sort). I'm getting it framed next week and dry-walled the week after, and I have some decisions to make about pre-wiring. (see attached picture)

1. 7.1 system wiring, electrician will run "standard" 16/2 speaker wire from closet to each point. Is regular speaker wire sufficient or do I need branded (e.g. monster) wire?

2. Some use 16/4 wire: why use 4 stranded wire? Is 16/2 sufficient?

3. Subwoofer: I would like to prewire for 3 corners as I dont know where I'm putting the sub yet. No regular 16/2 speaker wire, right? Do I need special subwoofer wire or regular RG6? What about brand-name speaker wire (monster etc)?

4. For overhead projector, I plan on running component video wires from closet to projector point, about 15'. Should I run a HDMI cable too?

5. The ceiling is 8' high, and all speakers will be wall-mounted about 6' from floor. The rear speakers on the back wall will be 4' away from corner, 8' apart. The other 2 rear speakers on the side-walls will be about 4 or 5' from corner. Are these distances sufficient?

6. The center channel needs to be on wall behind screen to keep it away from the kids, with a perforated screen. Will the picture quality be significantly degraded by using a perforated screen?

7. I want to pre-wire for the possibility of putting a plasma on the far wall instead of a screen, but component video/hdmi is too expensive for just a possibility. Can I run 3 regular RG6 wires for now and use them as component video?

8. Also running CAT5 wires put in for an Infrared repeater/extender system like Xantech or Niles Audio. I plan on putting a ceiling mounted infrared sensor just in front of the screen. Not going with RF system.

9. Finally for the cabinet itself, I plan on having the contractor build me 20"W X 20"D X 48"H closet with maybe 4-5 shelves. I can't find any inexpensive cabinets of that size. Should I look at audio racks with a plexiglass door instead... any info on where I can get one that not too expensive ($100-$200).

BTW, I have short-listed the equipment I plan on putting in. This is just a short-list, havent had time to go listen to any of them yet.
Receiver: Denon 3805 or Yamaha 2400
Speakers: Sat/Sub system like Paradigm Cinema70, Energy Encore, DefTech Procinema 100
Projector: LCD Sanyo PLV-Z2 or Panasonic L500U
Screen: 106 or 110" tensioned, perforated Da-lite (gray)

Sorry for the long post, I've tried to be as thorough as possible. Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions.

Vasu

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1335
These are expensive to do, have you had any assistance from the place you purchased these equipment?

For in-wall wiring, make sure that they are built for that purpose and use 12 to 14 gauge wire. Doesn't have to be brand name, just well constructed.
Subwoofer wiring should be the same as the other speaker wires. Unless you are pplanning on using a powered subwoofer that needs an audio cable, then make sure they are properly shielded and do not run them any longer than necessary as you will introduce a lot of interference. Keep it close to the source.
The center channel does not need to be behind the screen it could be above the screen aimed down to the listening area.
Make sure that the cabinets are sufficiently ventilated and provide plenty of space for the receiver's top chassis and a plenty of airflow.
The Paradigms will work very well with the Denon and the Yamaha.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us