Paradigm or Axiom Surrounds?

Car Ramrod
Unregistered guest
I'm looking at ADP-170s or QS-4s.
Haven't heard them but can get either for around $300 a pair. The ADP's have a 5 out of 15 reviews on audioreview and people seem to love the QS-4/8s too. Also, I would probably be needing a rear channel too and haven't seen the ADP-170's sold individually.
Any thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1246
I'd get the Axioms. But everything is up to your ears, you have to listen to them and you will know which ones you like. Both speakers are excellent and people tend to like one and or the other.
What receiver are you using?

Username: Rscarb

Post Number: 3
I agree with Berny, go with the Axioms.
I sampled them three weeks ago and was *amazed* at the acoustic range of these speakers.

But a key factor is the receiver.
Choose wisely is my opinion..

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 685
What mains do you have? That would be helpful. I do not like to mix brands so if you have one or the other then that would be my recommendation. If not then what?

Post Number: 4
I do not own the Axioms, I am looking for speakers to accent my HK AVR630 that I recently purchased. I went and listened to the Axiom M80ti's and the QS8's with the VP150 center. I can honestly say they sounded better, IMHO, than the Paradigms. But again let me stress how important the receiver is to the equation. I would spend *most* money on the recevier and then build your speakers around them. Just my opinion.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 686
The "most" money in any system should be spent on speakers not a receiver. It is still impossible to recommend surrounds without knowing what mains someone has.

Post Number: 5
I hear what you are saying but I disagree. If you have outstanding speakers and a mediocre to sub-mediocre receiver you may have speakers that sound like mud. A scratchy signal makes top line speakers sound like scratch.We could debate this but my limited experience has taught me to start with a quality signal and buy the best speakers you can afford. This is only my opinion, I do not want to upset anyone.

hedonio
Unregistered guest
There is a big difference between di-polar speakers and bi-polar speakers! The Paradigm have a di-polar arrangement and the Axiom have a bi-polar arrangement. Both design suppose to "diffuse"the sound. The opposite drivers layout on the di-polar (180deg. typically) will work off-phase (it was good when prologic first came out), while the bi-polar drivers (90 deg. separation) will work in-phase. Various variations of both designs, thanks to avance cross-over designs, will achieve great results for both, home theatre and multichanel music. Home theatre requires the surround sound to be diffuse while multichanel music requires to locate each channel sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us