Weakest link?

Username: Kevin_eastman

Post Number: 1
Hi. New guy, old question.
I bought my system from the mega stores and now want to upgrade 1 or 2 components at a time. Looking to replace the weakest link in the system that will give the most dramatic change.
$1000 to spend per upgrade. Home theatre is biggest concern. Fronts--Polk speakers Rti70(2-6 1/2 drivers, 1"tweets) Center--Polk csi40(2-6 1?2 drivers,1"tweet),surrounds--Polk fxi30(dipolar), sub--Polk (100watt), Receiver--Onkyo 601 (85w X6). 12 x12 (10 foot ceilings)room, great wife-- no restrictions. Am happy now but want more. If you could suggest which to replace first I will worry about the brand names later. Looking for clarity as much as loudness. Thanks , hope there is enough info or not too much (first timer you know)

ears
Unregistered guest
do you have pre outs to hook up a power amp
if so i would do that and use you receiver
as a pre/pro....or replace you receiver with a
higher quality brand...

ears
Unregistered guest
then you can replace your speakers with (again)
a higher quality brand...its goes on and on and on
it never ends...there's always room for improvements..have fun doing it

Post Number: 2
I am leaning toward a rotel amp. Would that be your first upgrade or maybe the sub?

Post Number: 3
ears........... is there a way to compare speakers accurately with the given specifications in the brochures?
or do you have to listen?

ears
Unregistered guest
you got a good system...if you want better bass
then i say yes...better sub..good starting point

on speakers i buy what sounds good to me..i don't
go by spec...NO BOSE OR KLH

forgot... rotels are very good amps

take your time when upgrading...don't rush...enjoy

Post Number: 4
thanks........... it is supposed to be fun isn't it?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1201
brochure specifications are great to check for power handling, sensitivity, impedance and such. The real test is for you to go out there and listen to them yourself. After all, you will be the one listening to them and having to live with the choice you made. Who knows you may even be impressed with Bose, but that is all a choice and whatever it may be you should be happy with it.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 608
Kevin,
I see no need to change your speakers now. I do think an upgrade of receivers would do wonders. To match your Polk's I would look at Marantz, Elite and H/K. All make great recievers in the price range you are talking about. Marantz 7400, Elite vsx53 or new 54 or H/K 630 can all be had under $1000 or close in the case of the H/K. All will greatly improve the sound of the Polk's and then you will know if you need to upgrade the sub. Good luck.

ABC
Unregistered guest
If it was me I would upgade to a better sub,that would make watching movies alot better.Buying a new receiver is not going to that. Next upgrade would be receiver then speakers.

Hey BERNY...why would you mention BOSE they SUCK
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us