Center and rear surround speakers for Marantz SR5300?

Username: Joe_s

Post Number: 3
I just bought a Manrantz SR5300 home theater receiver, and will be using my KEF Q50 speakers for mains. Does anyone have any recommendations for a center channel speaker? I'd like to spend about $100 or so. There are two Cambridge Soundworks models in that price range, one plays louder (more efficient?), maybe one of those? I am totaly open to suggestions.

Also, can I cheap out on the rear surround pair? I probably won't hook up the rear center speaker right now. Thanks, Joe

Username: David_r

Post Number: 3
paradigm atoms or micros are woth a look for surround sound

Post Number: 7
OK, I decided on an Ascend CMB-170 center, I realized I needed to spend a little more. They are going for $189 now.

Now I need rear surrounds. I am limited by my wife to a small preferably white speaker, wall mounted up high. What do you think of the Cambridge Soundworks Newton S200? Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Joe

Post Number: 8
The cheaper Cambridge Soundworks Newton S100 has better specs on their website than the S200. Anyone use either or both? Joe

Post Number: 9
I gotta stop looking at crappy speakers. I found the paradigm atoms online, they look real good, but for rear surrounds, they have ADP-170s and Cinema ADPs. How do they sound? I couldn't find the prices for either. Anybody know how much they sell for?

Post Number: 10
Cinema ADP $229/pr
ADP-170 $449/pr
Any good?
What's better?

Username: David_r

Post Number: 35
joe you may also want to look at, if size and price are issues:

1)axiom m3ti's at www.axiomaudio.com
2)paradigm titans (which are only 210 vrs. 180.00 for the atoms and are much better)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I have been making myself crazy with the number of choices for center and rear speakers. I want something to match the sound of my Kef Q50 speakers. There isn't a Kef dealer within an hour's drive, so I can't easily listen to their Q6c or Q9c center speakers, and I don't like the tiny boxes of the Q8s. I also would rather avoid the retail markup and buy direct from the manufacturer, such as Axiom, Ascend, etc. I'd also like to stay under $600 if I could.

People on this board recommended the Ascend CBM-170 speakers over the Axiom's as main speakers. But, are the Ascends better as center or surround speakers? I'm not sure which would be a better match to my main speakers, which, BTW have only 6ohms impedance. Aperions seem highly rated, but I'm not sure if they would go with my warm sounding Marntz.

Here are my thoughts, what do you think?

I might be better off getting bi/dipole surround speakers, as multi channel music is fabricated in the amp anyway, so the rears are not important when listening to 2-channel sound, and they say bi/di is better for movie soundtracks. That leans me towards the Axioms. Also, as highly rated as the CBM-170s are, they don't have as broad dispersion angle as the HTM-200s, therefore negating their usefulness for the center channel. On the other hand, the HTM-200s are 6ohms, which might be better for transitions across the front soundstage. That leans me towards the Ascends.

How would it sound to have an Ascend HTM-200 center and Axiom QS4 surrounds? I might use another HTM-200 as a rear surround if I can't buy only one.

Thanks for bearing with me. Joe

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Another option would be a Kef center with Axiom surrounds. Joe

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 190
Joe,
you are seem very torn amongst all the selections available! LOL, most of us have been there. Have you had a chance to audition any of these choices?
The KEF center and Axiom surrounds would be a good match, specially with Marantz.

The Ascends are an excellent sounding set, however, I am under the impression that your wife is particular about cosmetics?!? The Ascends are an acquired taste, very low on the WAF. Only reason why I don't have them.

cheers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
WAF = Wife Appeal Factor? LOL She's coming around, does anyone know if the grille cloth can be easily replaced? Joe

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
OK, I took the plunge. I ordered a Kef Q9 from kiefs.com and a pair of Ascend HTM-200's. Can't wait to hear them! Thanks to all for your help. I'll let you know how they sound. Joe

Anonymous

Are B&W bookshelf speakers a good match with a Marantz receiver and/or an HSU sub?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
I got my speakers hooked up yesterday, they sound great! We listened to X2 and it was just like being in the movie theater. You can't hear the individual speakers, just a complete room full of sound. It's so much better than a HTIB setup, but for 3-4 times the price it should be! I'll probably get an HSU sub soon, but this is great for now. Thanks for everyone's help, expecially Hawk. Joe

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Oh, yeah, the Ascend's aren't that bad to look at, and my wife even agrees. Joe

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 259
way to go, joe!!! I'm glad you're happy with your new toys. WAF is sich a good thing isn't it?

cheers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us