Onkyo HTS650 -- VCR hookup question -- help

Anonymous
I recently purchased the HTS650 and it totally rocks the house. I have a:

1. DVD player plugged into S-Video/Optical for audio going into the DVD input (I also have the RCA connectors plugged into it)
2. S-Video out of my computer into Video 2 with RCA connections for audio.
3. VCR out is plugged into Video 1 input and the Video 1 output jacks going back into the VCR.

My question (and no one from Circuit City has been able to answer this for me):

Can I record to VHS from the analog video sources plugged into the receiver. In other words, are the VCR connections (in/out) through the receiver a "connection" for the video sources available on the receiver? I want to record VCDs onto VHS WITHOUT having to unplug the DVD player from the receiver and plugging it directly into the VCR.

I also want to be able to record from Video 3 to my VCR. The manual says this can be done but it just isn't working for me.

Sorry this might sound confusing, but I'm sure that someone has run into this issue.

Thanks for any input (and no thanks to the guy at Circuit City who tried to tell me that it's impossible to record a VCD to VHS tape.)

po
You can do it as long as the video format is the same. The receiver will not convert video for you. If you use S-video for the DVD, that will not be transferred to the composite video to the VCR.

Just use the same video source format and the receiver will switch the selected source to the monitor out *and* VCR out.

I'm assuming your VCR is using composite video (single yellow RCA for video). If you want to record a DVD, you'll need to make sure your DVD is also connected using a composite video and make sure that is the output jack selected from your DVD player. Then just select DVD on the receiver and you should be able to record on the VCR.

Anonymous
I finally got it to work with every video source plugged into composites .. I had to fix a couple of settings on my VCR and set up a seperate composite monitor input on my TV for viewing.

Thanks for the feedback po

Man, such a simple task ..

btw, the Onkyo is a GREAT buy. Excellent entry level setup that blows most mid-level systems out of the water!

steve jones
tape dubing
ok how does 2 vcr hook up to copy?

Blue King
I hooked up a DVD player and VCR through the receiver (from HT-S650). I have S-video and composite video between DVD player and receiver, TV and receiver, only composite video between VCR and receiver. I only get audio when playing the VCR. DVD plays fine. BUT, if I take the S-video cable from the TV, VCR video signal goes through and it works fine. What should I do so that I don't have to unplug the s-video cable from the TV when playing the VCR? I think I had it working once :-(, don't know what I changed and now it doesn't work any more.

Thanks for any help.

Anonymous
If your TV has another Video IN (Video 2), you can use it to connect the vcr.
But if you have a receiver, and sufficient in/out jacks, use them and control everyting from your receiver.

Blue King
I think the S-video cable actually blocks the composite video input. If you want to use s-video for dvd and composite video for VCR, your TV needs at least two video inputs and one of which has s-video. Once you hook up s-video, the corresponding composite input is disabled. This seems to be the case for me. If I am wrong, please let me know.

Thanks.

Anonymous
How do I hook up 2 VCR's to make a copy of a VHS tape?

Jon Marino
I don't know if the question has been answered or not, but how do I hook up 2 VCR's to make a copy of a VHS movie?

I'm searching for a VCR with S-Video output under $200. Those I've seen on the net are all DVD/VCR combos but do not indicate if the S-Video output is DVD exclusive. Can someone educate me?

Anonymous
To hook up 2 VCR's:

Make one's "out" the other's "in". Use the same cabling (preferably coax), and feed the second VCR's "out" to the TV. Check your channel selection, etc.

You will be unable to record almost all retail tapes. They've got some kind of write protection that can allegedly be defeated with a signal strength amplifier/filter available at Radio Shack.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us