Can I get prog scan component signal into a HD-15 SVGA/XGA projector?

Wally
I had not been looking at the A/V scene since 1990 - happy with my Rotel RA612 & Heybrook HB1s (paper cones). Took home a 5 year old sharp XGNV2 LCD projector, hooked it up to my imac and played DVDs. OK but only got stereo sound. In November I upgraded to apple's new OS 10.3 (Panther) to get digital 5,1 sound (via an M-Audio usb box) and bought a Marantz7300. I also added Heybrook speaker system including new HB1s and HB0.5s (I switched back to the original speakers - better sound). Marantz7300 is great - I'd recommend to anyone.

I am now looking at a universal DVD player for several reasons. Firstly to play DVD-A and SACD discs. Secondly to upgrade on my 10 year old 1st generation AWAI cd player. Thirdly, to see if I can get a better picture.

The issue is that the projector can accept only HD-15 or S-video input not component. of course, the HD-15 really carries RGB-HV (from the computer). If I buy a DVD player, how do I get prog scan into the projector?

Even if the answer is I cannot, I may buy a multi-disc player anyway to play the audio discs. The likes of the Denon2900 is attractive - but I am not sure that I want to spend that unless I am sure about the benefit. So the new MarantzDV6400 caught my eye - good on paper but only hitting the shops next week (no spec available - even from the Marantz web site!)

The projector problem has all of the "young" shop assistants way out of their depth. I wondered what might happen if I get a low cost DVD multi format progressive player and hook up the component output through a scaler like the Scancom VTB-100 which is a $160 component to VGA/SVGA/XGA scaler. A $1000 DVD player is a lot to spend if the projector cannot show all the "added value"

Thoughts or assistance most welcome.

Unregistered guest
I have a sharp xg-nv2u lcd projector also. Have you heard from anyone about this issue? I have also been trying to research to see how i can use my prog scan dvd player's component outputs to send signal to the projector's rgb 15 pin port. I think i will try buying the comverter cable and see if that works , if not then maybe i need that 99 dollar converter? any ideas suggestions?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us