Are Monster Cables worth the expensive price?

Username: Nlf1187

Post Number: 1
I have a projection hdtv and a progressive scan dvd player, but no component cables. I'm in the hunt for cables and have come to realize that Monster Cables seem to cost a lot, but say they are the best of the best. Are Monster Cables really worth the expensive price?

Bronze Member
Username: Brazilian

Sao Paulo, SP Brasil

Post Number: 18
Monster is just one of the endless companies specialized in cables. I use Monster CV1000 (M series) but if you go to the core line I think you will be OK. Consider spending 10% of your system investiment in cables and try to reduce the distance between your modules to avoid interference. If you look in British magazines like What Hi-Fi ? You will find the various type of cables ranking there. Does anyone knows an American paper that also rank cables ? I evolved to CV1000 because I`ve read that silver coated cables are better to video signals and in fact, I can`t complain. And when you see companies like Van Den Hull, Kinber, Siltech etc selling cables for a Hi-End system`s price, I stick with Monster line and buy more DVDs !

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 564
I think 10% is way more than neccesary for cables,interconnects etc. If you are wanting a good quality component cable at a fair price check out the Phoenix Gold 500 and 600 series at Crutchfield. I don't usually recommend them as their prices are very high but these are the exception. Excellent performance at way less than Monster. I use the 500 series s-video, audio and component on a direct view tv and they are great. If you have a big screen the 600 series are probably the right choice.

Mr. V
Unregistered guest
Acoustic Research cables work well in my home theater.

I use more expensive cables in my music only stereo system, as the quality of the sound is more critical there.

johnqpixel
Unregistered guest
source of endless discussion and disagreement.
see link at
http://www.hdtvoice.com/voice/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4664

Anonymous

I work for an online-retailer, we sell Monster Cable. OUR employee-discounted price (I don't actually work AT Monster Cable) is at a 60% discount, and I can promise you that they still make money.

I am just pointing out that there is HUGE markup in this stuff, it is not as high-tech as they market it to be. It is all about ingenious marketing.

The cables might be slightly better than "no-name" cables, but definately not in correlation to the price.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 190
Check out an interesting thread on this forum's home page on audio cables.

Username: Ohms

London, Ont. Canada

Post Number: 1
does not Acoustic Research also put out the Advent line of cables as well?makes you wonder what,s really worth the price!

Will_H
Unregistered guest
I work for a major electronics retail chain, and this is a question we get asked often.

All things being equal, one TYPE of cable will be significantly better than another. For example, component video (red, green, blue) is significantly better that composite (yellow). Better color, not as much noise, etc. Is Monster better than no-name x-brand cables? Negligably so...and thats if were comparing the cheapest no-name cables to the most expensive Monster cables, and were doing the comparison on a big screen TV where small improvments are more noticable. Is it worth the HUGE price difference? No.

But then again, in any given type of cable, Monster has several incriments, from cheap to expensive. Component cables go anywhere from $29.99 to $99.99 (US). The differences? Technically, there are a few, but its mainly marketing.

Hence, expensive Monster cables are the "bottled water" of retail electronics.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us