PLEASE STOP ME FROM GOING ON A MURDEROUS RAMPAGE!!!

biggerthanfun
Unregistered guest
i dont mean to waste anyones time but ive looked all over for some help here and i cant get this done.

first, what i have. a motorola dct2500 digital cable receiver (has s-video)

a sony KP46WT510 46" Digital Widescreen TV (2 component video, 3 s-video)

an rca rt-2500 av receiver (no component, s-video for sat, dvd, vcr, and monitor out)

toshiba stereo vcr (not s-video)

when i switch my reciever to the 'sat' connection, i get my digital sound but with no picture.

also, my vcr gets sound without picture.

i thought i had a good wiring diagram from monster but its not working. plus their diagram shows an hdtv box (mine is regular) plus a personal video recorder, which i dont have.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1127
how is the video cable connected to the tv?

biggerthanfun
Unregistered guest
on the tv, under the video 1 column, where there is s-video and regular video, im connecting the s-video to the monitor output on my receiver.

thanks for looking

Gold Member

Post Number: 1128
There are different ways to connect the video, here is one
Connect the motorola directly to the video 1 bank of the TV using s-video, leave the the regular video alone and do not under any circumstances attach another video cable to this bank. They cannot share different video signals.
Connect the vcr using the regular video cable (yellow) to video 2, again no other video inputs.
Let the receiver handle just the audio part and no video at all.
Connect the audio cable from the motorola to the receiver's audio input, then connect the vcr under another audio input.
You should get pictures...if not let me know.
cheers

biggerthanfun
Unregistered guest
you are now a demi-god to my world;thanks muchly...i didnt want to waste my time with the salespeople who only know how to run a cash register.

seeings though youre on a roll, hope you dont mind if i pick your brain a little more...

how do i set up my vcr to record off this setup? i think im supposed to be able to record one chanel while watching another, but just to record would be good enough. so far, im not running any coaxial from the vcr, the vcr a/v 'in' bank is empty, and i have open 'aux' and 'vhf/uhf' coaxials on my tv.

also wondering your opinion on component video for my dvd. it is a few years old and does not have progressive scan capability. will i see any significant improvement over s-video, or even regular video? ive always watched it on my 27" tv with regular video without complaints but didnt know if the weaknesses will show dramatically on this 47".

i was considering buying a dvd recorder with pro scan to replace my dvd and vcr. is pro scan that much better?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1130
Does the motorola have any video outputs besides the s-video? Even a coaxial video output should work, if it has one, you can hook up a coaxial cable from the motorola to the VCR. And record as you would using the "old school" method (before the advent of digital).:-)

If you have component outputs on the DVD player, use it, it is a far better resolution even without progressive scan. But again hook it up on its own dedicated input, it does not like to share with composite, s-video, etc.

DVD recorders are a nice change from the vcr, I have one and I love it and if using digital signals, it is a lot better.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us