How much improvement is 6.1

I have a Yamaha RX-V3300 receiver, capable of 6.1 decoding, set up in a 5.1 configuration. The two rear speakers are mounted in the ceiling. I bought a wall mounted B&W CWM center channel speaker to mount in the ceiling for the rear center channel. I can still return it. Before taking the plunge I wanted to get feedback as to whether it is worth the extra $$ for the rear center, or whether I should return the speaker.

Aaron
I would be curious too. I though about buying te CWM also to go with my LM1 rears...or perhaps another LM1 if I can buy a single. But I have the same question.

I have two CCM80 in ceiling speakers as my left and right surrounds. I would have gotten a third for the center channel, but they're only sold in pairs. If I could find someone locally looking to split a pair, then I would use that.

Aaron
How much are they a pair? I might consuder splitting a pair with you? I want to make a decision before I patch the holes I made in my walls to run the cable. I am in Ohio.

They list for $600 a pair. The store I bought them from sold me the first pair for $500. I'm not sure what they'd sell the second pair for.

I'm a little hesitant to use the B&W CWM speaker I currently own for my rear center. I don't think there would be a problem, but the speaker is designed for in wall use, and I'd be using it in the ceiling. I sent B&W an e-mail asking them about that several days ago. But I haven't heard anything from them and sent another e-mail out this morning.

Isn't there anyone out there who has upgraded from 5.1 to 6.1, or auditioned both, and would like to share their experiences/opinions?

Aaron
I used the LM1s since I was mounting them near the ceiling. Let me know what you find out about putting wall speakers in the ceiling.

I have only heard the simulated 6.1 from a Yamaha becuase they couldn't find a 6.1 or even 7.1 disc when I was in the store.

Username: Orcrone

Post Number: 3
I finally decided to install the speaker. I haven't listened to any 6.1 material yet, just 5.1 with the center rear matrixed. I know that Two Towers is under the Christmas tree, so I'll be able to check that out. Right now I'd say that the middle channel smooths out the effect, so that it surrounds the field behind you, rather than sounding like it's coming from the sides. It's subtle.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us