HTIB Recommendations: YHT-300?

I'm considering purchasing the YHT-300 system from Yamaha with the HTR-5540 receiver, but I'm still open to suggestions or comments regarding this system.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/HTIB_300_1.htm

I already have a Panasonic DVD player with an optical digital output and a GameCube so DD and DTS decoding and DPLII deocding is important to me. But I do not need an integrated or even component DVD player in the box and I would prefer relatively small speakers than can be cheaply mounted on my ceiling (it's been prewired).

Any suggestions for another HTIB system under or around $500? I'm no audiophile, but quality (surround) sound is important to me.

Anonymous
I had it with me for some time. and it was very good. The sound was great. but the reciver 5540 did not have S-video input. if thats not a problem. i think its one of best HTIB in that range.

po
I have the Onkyo HT-S650 which I bought for around $500 and it sounds great. The speakers are bigger than the Yamaha (Onkyo has dual 5.25" woofers in the front left and right, dual 4" woofers in the center and single 4" woofers for the surrounds, all have dome tweeters too). The sub is beefy too. Look it up and check the reviews at www.circuitcity.com

It might make a good alternative to the Yamaha system if you don't mind bigger speakers.

The Onkyo receiver has DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby PLII and 4 S-video inputs, 3 digital audio inputs, 5 channel preamp out if you want it. It's very versatile and I've found the whole system to really sound great.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us