XLR Balanced input vs. RCA connection unbalanced input.

Username: Luce_skywalker

Post Number: 2
Hey, there.

I am planning to buy an amplifier (Sunfire or Anthem) for my Paradigm speakers and my biggest question is:

Do balanced (XLR) inputs make much of the difference?

Right now I have Denon 3805 and I will connect the receiver to the amplifier via RCA cables. However, I know that there are RCA->XLR cables. Do they improve the sound or I have to wait until I have enough money to get a pre-amp with balanced (XLR) outputs?

Thanks for all advice.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
An RCA to XLR adapter is merely for convenience in hooking up different types of equipment. When you use this adapter you are still going to end up with unbalanced connections. You are merely converting from hot pin and ground to hot pin and ground pin within the XLR plug.

A balanced line will have up to 6dB better signal to noise ratio since the signal is run as two independent signals, positive and negative return, independent of the shield. This is only true if the signal is balanced from input to output. If the signal is converted from unbalanced to balanced by the use of a transformer you loose many of the advantages of balanced operation.

Username: Jimmie_moss

Peoria, IL

Post Number: 1
I am trying to hookup my Hp 6630 desktop PC to my Onkyo AV TX-DS787 sround sound Recever an when I listen to my PC through my recever I get a HUMM That I cant seem to find or where it is comming from I have tried different things an still no answer. Is trere any one out there that mite be able to give me some help???

XLR
Unregistered guest
Common ground?

Anonymous

Damn it!!! It's "LOSE" many of the advantages.....! Not "LOOSE"!! "LOOSE" is the opposite of 'tight'! Doesn't anyone in theis world ever get this correct!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us