Onkyo 770 Speaker Setup

Username: Twodaend

Alsip, IL

Post Number: 3
I just order the Onkyo 770 and now trying to plan how I will set up everything once it arrives. This is my first Home Theather System. The room it will be in is (LxWxH) 22' x 12 x 8. Going the long way, there is a Misubishi 65" TV, positioned at the end of the 12' wall and there is a couch aboth 10' from the TV giving me about another 10' behind the couhc.

So far, this is what I'm planning on doing and wondering if this is correct.

Center Speaker: Center on top of TV

Front Speakers: On side of TV slightly in front and angled inwards, mounted on these stands

Surround Speakers: mounted in ceiling using these mounts. Not sure weather to put them on the side of the main viewing area or behind the main viewing area.

Center Rear: Directly behind main viewing area. Not sure weather to ceiling mount it or put it on and stand.

If I have anything wrong or could be doing something better, please let me know. Also, if anyone knows anything about these stands and mounts, please let me know.

Thanks for the help.

Upload

Upload

Alsip, IL

Post Number: 7
I was wondering, should the S/L & S/R be angled and slightly behind the seating area the way they are in the picture or should the be directly to the side of the seating area and facing each other?

Nickmeta
Unregistered guest
Ed, the surrounds should be in line with the seating area - 2 feet above the ear level. Set them to +6 db and hear the difference.

Username: 1st61

Post Number: 2
How about the center? I am waiting for mine. I plan to put the center under the TV which is only about 1 feet about ground. There is a slop top on the TV and it cannot hold the center. What's the ideal height of center? How is the distance between the two front speakers? My room is very similar with ed's. it's about 25x15. I have to put the same way.

Alsip, IL

Post Number: 8
From what I understand, putting the center under the TV is ok. However if there is anything in the way say a center table, the sound my be blocked and muffuled from what I experienced. I prefer to have my center sitting above the tv so that the sound is higher up and falls as it gets further away. My center is sitting right on top of my tv which is above ear level when sitting down. This way the sound is not being blocked by anything.

Have you though about a shelf above the TV or some sort of wall mount for center speakers. I haven't looked into wall mounting center speakers, but the shelf idea may be a start.

Bronze Member
Username: 1st61

Post Number: 11
This is from the 770 manual about surround.
------------------------------------------------
Surround left and right speakers
These speakers are used for precise sound
positioning and to add realistic ambience.
Position them at the sides of the listener, or
slightly behind, about 2--3 feet (60--100 cm)
above ear level. Ideally they should be equidistant from the listener.
------------------------------------------------

From the chart they face the listener.

I have the oldest SONY Wega tv which has a narrow slop top. No way for it to hold any center speaker. I have to place it just under the board holding the TV. Almost the same level of table. But there is no object between the center and ears so it should not be bad.

Alsip, IL

Post Number: 9
Well since there are no objects that will be blocking the center speaker, u should be ok. The surround speakers do face the listner. I have mine slightly behinds, be angled to face the main viewing position.

photogold
Unregistered guest
The Onkyo manual says the surround speakeres should be 2-3 feet above ear level. How important is the speaker height? If we set the speakers 4 feet above ear level, will it degrade the sound? Does anyone have experience mounting the rear speakers close to ceiling height?

Alsip, IL

Post Number: 10
I have my rear and 2 surrounds mounted into the ceiling. Our condo has 8 foot high ceilings so the speakers are roughly 3-4 feet above ear level when sitting. In order to maximize the sounds rather than to have the speakers parallel to the ceiling, I have ceiling mounts that allow the speakers to be angled into the viewing area. This way the sound points towards the lisenter rather than to only go directly over head.

<a href="http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5 F007%5F002%5F009%5F006&product%5Fid=40%2D2087">Ceiling Mounts<\a>
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us