Which is better: SRS Circle Surround II or NEO:6 ?

Username: Aslancub

Post Number: 1
Anyone care to weigh-in on this?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Which is better, Coke or Pepsi?

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 911
Try them both and see which one YOU like. I like CSII, but others like NEO:6, and others like pure stereo.

Username: Aslancub

Post Number: 2
I prefer CSII as well. NEO:6 sounds dull and muffled (I have a Kenwood VR-7070). I just found it curious that I see NEO:6 referenced alot, and generally touted in articles, and little said about CSII, other than SRS Labs PR.
And then, there is NEO:6s conection to DTS.
On the other hand, I've always been suspicious and mistrustful of SRS Labs manipulation of sound to create a sonic illusion.
Sometimes you hear something, and you think that sounds really good. For instance, I had been using the Active EQ and Speaker EQ on my receiver whenever I was listening to music or movies, and I thought my system sounded great, especially my JBL towers. Later, I learned that you can't use the THX mode when the active and speaker EQs are engaged, so I listened without the EQs and I was struck by how much more connected and enveloping all 6 of my speakers were. Now it would be nice to be able to tweek the sound further with a graphic or parametric Equalizer, but it seems no one is making them for home theater applications. At least I haven't seen any advertised or reviewed.
My point is, it never hurts to ask for another opinion. Someone might hear somthing you're overlooking!
I do live sound on a frequent basis. I have a critical ear, and so do the guys I work with. But sometimes what you think sounds good, IS good; but it could be better, or more "accurate".

Anonymous

Just for my two-cents worth, I think CSII gives a soundstage that's too wide. NEO:6 keeps dialogue anchored in the center. That said, I think CSII has a great mode for mono recordings (aptly named CSII Mono!). This is, of course, just my opinion and I do think enjoyment is in the ear of the beholder :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us