Sunfire super junior sub?

wigglyman
As I continue to waffle between between a 5.1 bookshelf system consisting of B&W 602 s3's or Monitor Audio Silver 2's, I'm also trying out different subs. For the B&Ws, I was leaning toward the B&W ASW675 ($1000) but then the other day I heard a Sunfire Super Junior (also $1000) in conjunction with the MA's that, to my untrained ears, sounded quite stunning...very tight and musical. I was hearing bass information on familiar tracks that I had never heard before.

My concern is that it may be too small for my room (20 x 22 with 17 ft. cielings, hardwood floors) but the dealer didn't think it would be. I've also seen postings by Sunfire detractors who claim that to get such powerful bass out of such a small package means accepting much higher distortion. If that's the case, it wasn't audible to my ears.

Hawk, Elitefan, Gman...what do you guys think? Any other sunfire owners out there with comments?

Derek
I've heard the Sunfire subs (though not the junior version) and I have to say that they are a specialized product. They do sound good and are a great and possibly only solution if you are space restricted. There is a huge amount of power going through the thing and the driver and box are well damped. The small box is not inherently high in distortion, though at high levels a larger box should produce less distortion. Listen to it. If you like it, go for it.

Velodyne's HGS subs are similar and are produced with up to 18 inch drives ($$$). Infinity and others make a few servo controlled subs as well. Also see HSU Research's web page. They probably make the best $500 to $1000 subs available. I owned a VTF-2 an it easily filled a very open 1400 square foot first floor of my house.

Hope this helps.

wigglyman
Thanks Derek...I know there's a big HSU and SVS following out there. I'm waiting for the inevitable SVS accolyte to post that his sub will eat the sunfire for lunch. I'm not after something that will shake my foundation to it's core. And I'm a little reluctant to order something over the web that I can't hear before hand...even with their liberal return policies, it's too much of a hassle if I have to send it back.

Hawk
wigglyman:

I am not the person to ask about a Super Junior. I went to audition one a few months back and it was the worst sub I have ever heard--it was not hitting the right bass notes at the right time, like someone singing out of tune and out of time in a choir. I have since decided no sub could be that bad, so either the sub was defective or the receiver driving it was defective. Bob Carver would never put out something so bad as what I heard. Of course, I got the stone deaf, clueless salesperson who kept asking me if I thought it was great. What a dweeb!

wigglyman
Hawk...wow. What you heard was either, as you surmised, defective or improperly set up OR I haven't a clue what I'm supposed to be listening for in a sub. I'd auditioned a half dozen other subs (velodyne, monitor audio, B&W) before I heard the sunfire and to my ears, it was the best of the lot...seamless integration with the other speakers, no boominess, fast, and as I said before, so accurate I was hearing things on familiar recordings I hadn't heard before. I'd be interested if anyone else shares your opinion of them...

What subs do you like?

wigglyman
Are there no other Sunfire sub owners out there who can confirm or counter Hawk's less than praise worthy impression? And Hawk, do you have an opinion on the B&W subs?

Hawk
wigglyman:

Yeah, I know that the sunfire super Jr. that I heard had to be wrong, somehow. I am beginning to think the phase control had been improperly adjusted, at the very least.

I like the Velodynes (SPL Series)and I really like the Hsu Research subs (see them at www.hsuresearch.com).

I have also heard that REL subs are very good. I just found a dealer in my town for them and I hope to hear them soon.

wigglyman
Hawk,

Yes, I know WHAT HI FI? consistently doles out 5 stars to the RELs. Unfortunately, I have nowhere close by where I can hear them.

BTW, I'm going to be purchasing the Marantz sr7300 on closeout for $699 thanks in large part to your postings. I've now heard it numerous times and love the sound...thank you for steering me off the Denon.

As you and legions of posters are high on the Nads, I feel compelled to give them a listen before I purchase, but I don't have a local dealer. Anyway, thanks for all your invaluable input. Now, if I could just nail down that sub...

Hawk
wigglyman:

Glad I could help. I know you will enjoy the Marantz much better than you will a Denon! The 7300 is a very nice receiver and very high on my list.

Good luck on the sub . . .
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us