DVI vs Component

Tony
I just bought a Samsung HLN5065 tv.

I'm wondering if it is worth spending an additional 250 dollars to allow me to use the DVI input instead of the component input. I understand that it's going to improve the quality of the picture tremendously, but is it worth it for someone who isn't exactly obsessed with having the absolute best picture. I don't think we have HDTV on cable in my area yet, and I'm not sure if I want to switch to satellite either, and so I guess part of me feels this tv is going to waste if I don't get the dvi dvd player and cable. I'm also wondering if prices should fall on this dvd player and cable anytime int he near future. Thanks.

Tony
ok now im reading about this new HDMI technology. Has anyone else heard about this. It seems it would be best to wait until I can get a DVD player that has HDMI and just go with component for now. any thoughts?

Derek
DVIs advantage is that it is an all digital transmission meathod. DVI MAY look slightly better but it may be hard to see with typical sources. HDMI is used by movie studios to ensure that you have a display device connected and not a recorder. They can also choose to lower the resolutions or turn the connector off all together. I personally would wait until there is a source that requires it.

Hope this helps.

Hawk
DVI is much better than component video and I would go that way, but you indicate that you don't have HDTV signal in your area yet. The alternative would be to go to satellite, but I am not sure what they offer, so it may be that you should wait and add it later if it looks like it will be useful.

I just know that I saw a demo of DVI v. component video on a Samsung set and I would get the DVI if I had a signal good enough to make the difference.

Derek
DVI makes a BIG difference on fixed-pixel sets like Plasmas, LCDs and DMMs (like the Samsung) because the TV doesn't have to do any sloppy scaling.

JOHNNY THE GUN
all these stupid opinions and no good hardcore facts around!! what a joke, get the DVi samsung, you will be happy you did because it carries the DCDI chipset that allows for the BEST picture, let me type that again, BEST PICTURE. The lower end DENON 920 is 299.00 with DCDI and doesn't have DVI, so you get a free DVI interfaCE with the SAMSUNG! Even if you don't get HDTV who cares? The DVD player has NOThing to DO WITH HDTV! Get the DVI samsung Dvi does something the other DVD players cannot, DVi "up" converts the 480 signal into 720 or even 1080i/P !!!!
If I asked you if you wanted an HD dvd player would you buy? I thought so! If you say no! then buy a cheap crappy Koss DVD player @ Frys' for 30.00 and when you see more snow than BIG BEAR do not complain!
BTW why in the hell would you buy an HDTV monitor and "don't care about quality picture?" did you buy it because your friends tell you to???

stratomaster
I bought the samsung DVD player with the DVI input to use with my Sony HD 40" tube TV. I returned it last week. First off it have one of the worst remotes I've ever used, secondly and most important, I really couldn't see the difference. The up convert looked pretty much the same in this average consumers eyes, not to mention it kept undesirably changing the aspect ratio. I played the same digital movies on a cheap Sony progressive scan DVD player and it looked just as good. Don't forget that beyond the $300 price tag you're going to have to pay an additional $50 to $100 for a DVI cable - and dats a big meatball! All the reviews I read from true professionals said they could see the difference - and I'm sure there is some - but not enough for me to justify that price tag. It was also extremely sensitive to dust and scratches on discs.
And by the way Johnny, a DVD player with a DVI does have something to do with HDTV - If the TV you're matching it with doesn't have HD capability, the DVI up convert won't work because 480 is the best resolution you can get - which is what almost all movies are made in anyway.

Derek
Johnny The Gun, pick up this months SoundAndVision Magazine. They have a review of the Samsung DVD-HD931 DVD player and though it's an excellent player it cannot make DVDs look like HDTV because the the source is only 720x480. DVI doesn't create more sharpness any more than a 8x oversampling CD player or DVD-A player can create a CD frequency response greater than 22 KHz. It may transmit the data with ease because it has more bandwidth but it will not be sharper.

I have pulled individual I-Frames from DVDs and looked at them on my monitor at 2048x1535 and they look the same as 800x600. Actually 720x480 looks even better becuase there is no scaling. I have also upconverted DVDs to 1920x1440i - same thing.

I also have an HDTV tuner and on any given night, prime-time sitcoms run rings around DVD as far as sharpness is concerned.

I've run similar tests on a friends Plasma and his Home Theater PC containing an ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon. Both had: composite, S-Video, Wideband Component and VGA. We tried them all. When we used Powerstrip to create a native resolutions to match the display, that's when DVI was at its best. Trust me DVIs advantage is native scaling and copy protection as Stratomaster has found out.

INSTALLGUY
IS'NT HDMI THE SAME AS DVI BUY HAS DIGITAL AUDIO AS WELL. I DON'T THINK IT HAS ANY DIFERANCE IN COPY PROTECION EXEPT FOR MAYBE THE AUDIO SIGNAL. I MIGHT BE WRONG. MY QUESTION IS WILL A $300 DVD PLAYER WITH DVI LOOK BETTER THAN A $1500 DVD PLAYER WITHOUT DVI? I DON'T THINK SO. WE NEED TO THINK ABOUT IT LIKE THIS..IF YOU HAVE AN EXPENSIVE DISPLAY WITH GOOD 3:2 DETECTION AND UPCONVERTION YOU MAY WANT TO USE DVI TO GET THE SIGNAL TO THE TV TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS. AS FAR AS I KNOW THE SIGNAL FROM THE DVD PLAYER (IN DVI) IS THE SIGNAL FROM THE MGEP2 DECODER WHICH IS 480I NTSC 3:2 CONVERTED FILM (MOST OF THE TIME). SO ALL DOUBLING IN THE PLAYER IS BYPASSED!
NOW IF YOU HAVE A SUPER HIGHEND DVD PLAYER WITH THE BEST NTSC TO PROGRESSIVE CHIP BUILT IN IF YOU USE DVI YOU WILL BE BYPASSING THIS.ALSO IN SOME DVDPLAYERS THERE IS THE ABILITY TO LOOKAHEAD AT THE DATA ON THE DISC AND USED THE BEST PROSESSING POSSABLE. IF YOU SEND IT OUT TO THE TV IN DVI THE TV MUSH DEAL WITH IT IN REALTIME! THIS WILL BE A PROBLEM ON CONTENT WITH MIXED FILM AND VIDEO SHOTS AND WILL CAUSE GLITCHING BETWEEN EDITS. IF YOU DELAY THE OUTPUT IN THE TV TO TRY TO ANTISIPATE THIS YOU WILL GET PROBLEMS IN AUDIO (LIP SYNC) YOU'VE MIGHT HAVE SEEN THIS BEFORE ON POURLY DONE NEWS BRODCASTING. SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG ABOUT ANY OF THIS. I DON'T CARE, I JUST WANT TO GET ALL THIS STRAIGHT IN MY HEAD.SO I CAN SELL THIS CRAP TO PEOPLE FOR XMAS HA HA...

Derek
Actually there are three forms of DVI. One is digital video out. One is digital video and some type of audio (I don't think you are going to see this version rise to the surface). Finally there is a digital video output version that checks to see if the receiving device is a display and not a recorder - the copy protected version.

A DVI player will probably look better than a component player because you don't have to worry about 10 bit vs 12 DACs, 54MHz vs 108MHz bandwidth etc. It is possible for an analog player to do motion vector de-interlacing better though. In general DVI should be superior to component. What DVI will not do is make the picture HDTV sharp. Neither will component.

By the way, turn off the [Caps Lock]. That stuff is hard to read.

Hope that helps.

G-Man
There is little doubt in my mind that DVI was created to mostly protect software property rights. That said, it will become the defacto standard on all future HDTV sets. In the meantime, I would either buy an inexpensive progressive dvd player now or wait until you get an HDTV compatible monitor and a DVD player that both have DVI and two-way firewire.

Firewire allows you to copy, as it sends an uncompressed signal and doesn't need copy protection in the instructions. All DVI has copy protection encoded signals and is a one-way connection that can't be recorded and won't even read non-encoded signals. Firewire is almost always a two way connection, so an HDTV tuner can use a firewire connection to send information to a firewire recording device (maybe a D-VHS digital recorder or DVD recorder) and this device can send information back to the tuner for display on the TV. In short, with firewire you will be able to record your favorite HDTV programs with D-VHS VCR's and future HDTV personal video recorders (which don't exist yet--as far as I know).

Some televisions have one-way firewire connection (input only) which in operation is little different than DVI. If given a choice and you don't own a set yet--stay away from those, as you will not be able to make a recording. Currently there are some Mitsubishi and Hitachi monitors with both TWO-WAY fire wire and DVI connections. The Hitachi 65XWX20B (an expensive $4999) has all those connections and is supposed to be hellaciously good. They have a 57" smaller model at $4499 with the same wonderful attributes. Mitsubishi has the 42" WT-42311 at $1799 and the much better 55" WS-55411 at $2699.

The HDTV tuner to get is the Samsung SIR-T165 at $699. It has the two-way firewire connection.

Currently there are only D-VHS recorders available to make HDTV recordings. The best is probably the JVC HM-DH30000 at $500, which also is an excellent S-VHS and VHS VCR and has "D-Theatre" which is a format and software that plays specially pre-recorded HDTV movies in much better quality than standard DVD's and slightly better than off-the-air HDTV broadcasts.

I am looking forward to buying the soon-to-be-released Pioneer Elite 59tai which will have both i-link (fire wire) and HDMI (Silicon Image's expanded chipset variety of DVI, which includes audio besides video, plus the T-REX chip which upconverts standard 480 pixel dvd fare to HDTV. It will be expensive---list $1600 and some sites are accepting pre-orders at $1299.

Otherwise, my advice is to wait until more companies come out with monitors and dvd players equipped with 2-way firewire and DVI. The price will inevitably drop like a stone in a year or so after this happens. The only potential danger to waiting is that "Pogram Provider's" will doubtlessly pressure hardware providers on the firewire and who knows where that will lead?

JOHNNY THE GUN
OKay WOW! A lot of great input from a lor of different perspectives. Now let me Rebute-

TO STRATOMASTER The SONY 40'tube TV is not a good reference to dictate which format versus format is better, mainly because you DO NOT USE a progressive scan DVD player on a "tube" TV. YOu use progressice scan for HD monitors, typically a WIDEscreen rear projection, DLP or LCD screens (and plasma screens) ....

Secondly of course you did NOT see a difference, but using lets say a 55' Mitsu Diamond series you would see a difference, specifically you would see a more detailed picture. For example, since I cannot illistrate it for you I can give you an example: ergo, veesa vee concordedly! j/k

Using the above awesome WIDE screen HD monitor lets say you chose to use a cheapy SONY DVD player with progressive scan. What you will see will be apparent, you will see a NON-digital movie in what apears to be asn analog signal (virtually it is in terms of specifications ) BUT- you will notice artifacts, snowy picture, inaacurate scene crescendos and what have you...
NOW same example but a different variable: lets say we used a DENON 1600 with DCDI faroudja processing (for those UN_FAMILIAR with it it is the ONLY choice for a progressive scan DVD player -nuff said) you will see a digital picture atleast 3 times over when compared to the other DVDplayer, the cheapest being the DENON 910 for 299.00 or the SAMSUNG with DVI for 299.00, all your choice BUT PLEASE DO NOT use a crappy DVD player after buying a TV for 2,000.000 thank you
IN closing there is a more than substancial difference between component *analog* and DVI (digital) connections the better the connection the better the picture

INSTALLGUY
the connection to my computer monitor is not digital. why do i get such a good picture without dvi on the computer. because you don't need it!you will always be able to copy music as long as you have analog outputs of your cd player. same go's for movies if you can see it,you can copy it. so puting d/a converters in the tv will stop your "regular joe shmo" from making a dvd library for $1 per disc.

David
Johnny the gun, how do you say that one would see a difference on a 55' Mitsu Diamond series? These projectors do not have DVI inputs and it does not sound as if Mitsubishi is planning on supporting DVI. (see the article at the link below)

http://www.1394ta.org/Press/2002Press/august/8.b.htm

From what I have been reading, DVI is beneficial when using a projecter, plasma, or LCD output as these all have digital output.

Any display that is analog will not benefit from a DVI input as there is still a D/A conversion even if it is at the TV.

Super
JOHNNY either lives in a theatre or is one of the richest men in the world in order to have viewed a 40'tube Sony tv and a 55'Mitsubishi Diamond tv. Great googally moogally those are some huge screens. I wouldn't doubt u'd see a difference in picture quality on a 55 foot screen as opposed to a 55" screen us regular schmoe's stare at. The size of a single pixel would be huge! ...but like JOHNNY also said, no point in getting DVI unless u have a digital tv, and hdtv isn't digital, as far as this regular consumer knows. I could be wrong though.

And i think Tony is gone, but if u still read this - then i'd say it's probably a wiser decision to just go w/ component for now and wait till digital gets cheaper - unless ur hard-core about serious picture quality.

Lovin It!
I have a Samsung HLN5065 and I also have a samsung HDSAT reciever which has DVI. So hooking up a DVD via DVI is a moot point to me.
Progressive scan with component set at 1080i looks beautiful, enough said.
I can tell you that it is the speed of the DVI interface that is most important. I read about this before buying and now I have seen it for myself. Scrolling through programs guides is amazingly fast. As you know with computers the bigger the pipelines, the more memory you have, ect, the better the quality and speed of processing.

And yes SUPER, HDTV monitors are digital.
Over the air digital television is here.
Watching monday night football in 1080i and dolby digital surround sound is awesome.

Right now most HDTV's are just monitors. So you have to buy an HD-tuner or HDSAT reciever to even realize your sets full pontential.
IF you aren't willing to spend the money on those then you should have waited to buy an HDTV with built in HD-Tuner (Which are just starting to come out now).

We've been stuck in an our analog world to long!

David
Lovin It!, how do you get 1080i with component? Is this using the HDSAT or the DVD?

My understanding with DVD is that 1080i can only come from a DVI connection.

Anonymous
I have hooked a motorola 5100 HD w/ DVI connection to my Sony 34xbr800 t.v. I am not getting a picture. The person at Charter (who I have the Motorola cable box through) has no idea what DVI is. Why am I not getting a picture? I need that extra component hook-up for something else.I am using a monster cable DVI400. Any ideas?

Anonymous
DVI is not enabled on the Motorola 5100's Here in MA Comcast claims a software upgrade will do the deed down the road but for now it is component only.

Sean
Just bought a Sony 50" Grand Wega LCD and a Samsung HD931. Will be getting a Samsung SIR-TS160 HD Receiver with my DirectTV connection. Both have DVI, but I have only one DVI input on my Sony LCD. Does it make sense to go component on one over the other? Does anyone have any recommendations for not sacrificing either the DVD player or the HD Broadcasts from DirectTV?

Bob
I just purchased a Samsung 56" DLP TV with a DVI input. I also purchased the Samsung HD931 DVD player and could not believe the incredible picture when upconverted to 1080i/P. My dilemna is that my high definition digital cable box also uses a DVI output that produces awsome high definition video on the hi-def staions as well as great video on the regular digital staions. With only one DVI input on the TV I'm torn between the two. I checked into a DVI switch box but they run anywhere from $300 to $1200 dollars. Are there any less expensive solutions other than manually switching the DVI cable back and forth? Why are the switches so expensive?

frank
I just bought a Pioneer 5040 plasma and a Samsung DVD-HD931 it has an hdmi and a dvi connector. I understand these are compatible does anyone know???

DVIGuy
Bob,
You can buy a DVI switch at www.pacificcable.com for $215 (2 inputs/1 output)
I think they have the best low cost switches.

All this conjecture... I have the samsung HD DVD paired with a Sony XBR direct-view. The picture IS better than progressive scan. In fact, it's the best picture from a DVD I've ever seen on any TV anywhere.

The remote is horrific, but I use a really powerful universal (MX-700 -- highly recommended). The OEM remote is so bad that if I didn't have the universal, I'd take the player back.

Anyway, it's worth the $240 - the $50 I got for my Toshiba Progressive DVD.

DaBump
Well now I'm a little confused. My Mitsu HD-Ready has 1080i on DVI and Component connections. So answer me this:

Should I buy a DVD player with DVI and an HD-Receiver with Component or the opposite...an HD-Receiver with DVI and a DVD with Component?

I really love watching movies but I do watch more TV. I don't want to sacrifice my HD TV picture to have better movies.

Or should I buy a DVI switch and run both through that to the DVI on my set?

Help.

If you have a non fixed pixel display such as a CRT (direct-view)or projection television, you will not benefit from DVI much if at all. But, a DVI dvd player cannot upconvert to 720p or 1080i without use of DVI. So to my mind, better to use the DVI connection with the dvd player and then use the component for the High-Def Tivo when it comes available (I heard in March - April '04).

Of course I'm going to try to see if I can see a difference with the DVI connection with satellite. I guess if it's at all noticeable, I'll probably pay the $250 for a DVI splitter.

cliff
All I know is that I purchased a Samsung 43 dlp and a Samsung HD-931 dvd player using the DVI connection and I'm still blown away every time I watch movies. Movies such as MonsterInc. are almost as sharp as true HD. I also receive Cable through Comcast and there box offers dvi, but I'm using the component for that. Digital to digital is awesome!

Unregistered guest
Cliff,

The problem is that your Comcast Cable box 'offers dvi' but Comcast does not. Its not an option at this time and Comcast has no future date in mind to turn that feature on. Just like they call their cable box 'digital' but every channel under 100 is analog. I am seriously thinking of switching to a 'dish'.

Anonymous

Well, I broke down and bought the HD-931...took it back 2 days later. The picture was horribly grainy on my 65" Mitsu RP, and the sound quality wasn't very crisp. I traded it in for a Pioneer DV-563a. For 100 bucks less I got a very good picture, far superior sound quality, DVD-A and SACD capability...no brainer.

If you have a 65" RP, stay away from the HD-931. Even through DVI, there is just too much grain.

Unregistered guest
I have the Samsung 50" DLP at my dads hooked up to the DVI Samsung DVD Player Wow, simply incredible picture, BUY A TV WITH DLP or another form of image enhancement. If you get the DVI from the dvd player make sure you have a good enough sound system to match the quality of the picture (THX Certified) and use monster cables.

Unregistered guest
Plus I suggest both D-VHS and DVD since you cant play a dvd with D-VHS players (until a combo player comes out). Dish requires contract and buying the HD dish reciever. If you have a few hundred to throw around and want to sign a contract go with dish. If you want to screw the hassle and just have a month to month a rent a box instead of buy one then its comcast.

Unregistered guest
I just purchased the Pioneer 59-AVi DVD Player with HDMI connections, but can't seem to find a high quality A/V receiver with HDMI. Even the high end Pioneer Elite VSX-59TXi doesn't appear to have HDMI. Can anyone help?

Anonymous

From what i've read on other threads and sites, the Samsung DVD with DVI does look impressive with SAMSUNG DLP hdtvs. However, when hooked up to other brands such as the SONY GRAND WEGA LCDs, the picture quality was poor, most notably was washed out blacks.
Give the Samsung a try on your set, if you are satisfied keep it, if not, return it. Nuff said.

Unregistered guest
Gordon,

I just bought the 59-AVi and am waiting for the 59TXi and I am going to just connect the HDMI to the DVI on my TV and then run iLink to the receiver for the audio. There is a HDMI to DVI cable that will carry the video, just not the sound. The advantage of this setup is that you can still "upconvert" the image provided that you have an HDCP TV.

Unregistered guest
I'm about to burst with excitemnet (premature...) as I await my Samsung HD-931 player and hook to my DLP HLN567W. Found Monster DVI (2 meter) for $67 from RoyalBusiness.com and my DLP HLN567W TV ($3895) and Samsung DVD-HD931 ($223) from Hypaudio.com. Hope this helps the next guy. Thanks to all in this thread who have helped me weed thru the tech confusion and opinions.

Bronze Member
Username: Spshond

Post Number: 24
Everyone purchasing a DVI player for ther projection HD ready TV, please advise on how it turns out for you. I'am in the decision boat. Will DVI make a difference on a Projection HD ready TV with DVI ready connection

Jim Martineau
Unregistered guest
I just recently purchased the Samsung DLP as well as the HD-931 similar to KDAMORE. After getting things hooked up (including the Samsung HD tuner/receive) I compared the component vs. the DVI while watching a few DVDs and the DVI was noticibly better. I am not a true audio/video nut, but the difference was appreciable. Of course, when I'm not playing DVDs I switch the DVI cable to my satellite receiver to my HD tuner (e.g., the Super Bowl). Now that was an incredible experience.

Bronze Member
Username: Spshond

Post Number: 32
Was your Television a projection TV HD ready
I'am interested in finding out if the Samsung DVD player will create a big difference on Projection HD ready Televisions.

Username: Stevensquiers

Post Number: 5
When HD is more readily available in my area, I will take advantage of the Mitsubishi 55511 that I have and use DVI.

David S.
Unregistered guest
All you guys must have some sort of super eyesight or I am going blind. I have a Panasonic 34" TAU series HD television, Motorola DCT6200 HD cable box and Sony DVP-NC625 DVD player. I have the cable box and DVD player connected to the component inputs on the TV. I get what I consider a phenomenal picture. It blows me away every time I watch HDTV or a DVD. I saw the same TV using the DVI connection with HDTV and could not tell any difference. Based on that I cannot justify the cost of the DVI cable.

BTW-this is all good information. Thanks for the posts.

Anonymous

I just purchased a Hitachi 50V500 LCD projection monitor, and am in the same quandary as some others. I have a PC I want to hook up to the DVI input, but also have a DirecTV HD tuner that will go either into the component input or could displace the PC in the DVI. A DVI switch would solve my problem, also, but prefer not to spend the money if not necessary for a much better signal from the HD tuner. Of course ideal is if there is no difference I simply send the component feed into my receiver and out to TV from the HD tuner.

By the way, does anyone know why no one touts the capability of the 50v500 to display PC signals? Is it because it won't do so properly? In case anyone is now wondering, I'm waiting for the TV to come into the store, so haven't yet tried it. When it does, it might answer my question.

Thank goodness for 30 day satisfaction guarantees!

Bronze Member
Username: Xtremeht

Post Number: 16
A DVI-D connection is best used for a digital display like a DLP TV or projector since it never has to be coverted to analog. Even a HD big screen has to convert it to analog, so then it's a question of which device has a better video DAC, the DVD player or the DVI input on the TV.

Christopher G
Unregistered guest
I have a Toshiba 36HF72 (HD Ready, no DVI inputs). I am considering the purchase of a Sony SAT-HD300 HD Box to go with. Is DVI worth selling the TV for one with DVI? I am sort of new to the HD experience, and need a bit of an education. I hear so many conflicting stories with reagrds to this!! Is not having DVI on my Toshiba going ot be a let down when I go for HD signals through DirecTV? Right now I have fabulous SD reception, as I live only a few miles from the transmission towers that broadcast in our our area. How much better will HD be if I am forced to view it via component video?

Dave Erickson
Unregistered guest
Wow, I think a few things need to be made clear about the hd931 and hdtv in general and what a DVI connection does and does not do.

First of all, I have the samsung hd931 dvd player and a sony 51" widescreen tv.

DVI can be compared to component video in the same way as a digital audio output can be compared to the analog output of the dvd or cd player.

DVI will not make a poor quality source look good just as a digital output will not make a bad recording sound good.

What DVI will do is eliminate two stages of processing and conversion from the video signal path. (d/a - cable - a/d)

I also have hdtv service from comcast and my DVI output does work. (st paul minnesota -motorola 5100)

I can see a clear difference between the DVI and component on my hd cable box.

Here is what you gain with a DVI on the dvd player though: someone asked earlier if a $300 dvd player with DVI will look better than a $1200 dvd without one and I say yes it will.

Because no matter how good the d/a conversion is on the expensive player is cannot be as good as no conversion at all. Not to mention the a/d in the television.

Also, my hd931 came with a DVI cable so the cost of the cable is not an issue. A 'high' quality cable is not neccesary due to the signal being digital. (1's and 0's) Think how hdtv can look good even though it travels through the air to your reciever.

I do wish my tv had more than one DVI input though. As it is I feel the dvd has a lot more to gain than the hdtv so that's how I use it.

take care..

Dave Erickson
Unregistered guest
Also on the DVI output, the DCDi circuit is before the DVI out and it performs it's progressive scanning in the digital domain and then sends that bitstream right to the tv set.

Dave Erickson
http://www.esox.us/

Jammo
Unregistered guest
If you guys are really talking about the greatness and far better quality of a DVI output, then why an expensive unit like Denon Dvd A1 does not have one? Although Denon comes this newer model of which is also a SACD player and equipped with DVI in/out is far cheaper than Dvd A1 why?

Jammo
Unregistered guest
Hello!Anybody have knowledge re DVI vs. Component? Why does a high end unit like Denon Dvd A1 does not have DVI connections if this is far better in quality and performance?And am also using a Barco Cine 7 and it does not have DVI connections also. Does this mean these set of equipment will be phased out?or obsolete?Helpp!!!!

Username: Audioking

Post Number: 1
Well, I don't really know why the other manufacturers aren't yet including DVI but it could be any number of reasons such as:

a. They are waiting for more tv's with DVI to be sold?

b. Licensing issues?

c. remember a few years back when the xing dvd decoder was reverse engineered to produce the decss decoding library? There is a lot of liability that will bee levied on the company that creates a product that facilitates direct digital video transfer without the encryption.?

These are just possible reasons I have no real idea why but any one of these are possibilities.

Hope this helps.

Also, when a dvd player is nothing but a dvd transport it kind of kills the manufactures profits because who will pay $1200 for something you can have for much less that is identical?

have fun.

Anonymous

I have a high end plasma monitor without a DVI input with which I use compnent video. Are there any options for upgrading to digital interface without buyin a new monitor?

Username: Audioking

St paul, Minnesota

Post Number: 5
no. sorry.

Anonymous

I work for a cable company, most HDTV digital boxes on the market w/DVI have been disabled until further notice. Seems the Motion Picture Assoc. is scared that with a DVI connection people are going to record movies off the cable boxes to hard drives using the near perfect connection of DVI and black market movies. Until copyguard protection can be embedded in the broadcast signal the programmers demand that the DVI to be disabled. Hope that helps.

Smily Mchappyman
Unregistered guest
I have the RCA Scenium DLP 50" TV.
Also just received from my cable company the digital HDTV decoder box. Both the box and the TV support component along with DVI. Just tried it out last night for the first time with component and needless to say I was incredibly impressed with the HDTV image quality. I will be aquiring the DVI cable just to see if there is a difference.
by the way, the RCA DLP is a better choice then the Samsung as it uses the second generation DLP processing chip as the Samsung still uses first gen.

DVD: My DVD player is older, only supports component, but is absolutely breathtaking simply using component plugs into the TV set.

I will keep this thread posted when I get the DVI cable and compare the HDTV quality of DVI vs Component.

Anonymous

More then likely your DVI is diabled. It depends if you have a Motorola box or Scientific Atl. You can check the Motorola boxes by turning the power off after it has been on and quickly hit/hold the select button until a diagnostic screen appears. Go down to where it says Interfacce status and press select or OK, then press your arrow down button on your remote, you should now see a screen that has your DVI settings, it probably will say Device connected : no, that will tell ya if your DVI is usable at this point. Good Luck.

Anonymous

You may have the DVI jack but it may not active yet.

Username: Rsuc18

Post Number: 1
I just bought an HDTV and got a new cable box to get the HDTV signal. I have two options -- Component and DVI. Only a COmponent cable was provided and I want to go to DVI. However, the only cables I have been able to find at places such as Best Buy and Circuit City are those MOnster DVI400 cbales for $100. I found some wholesalers online that have them for around $30. Here are some quotes from the description of the two:

MOnster - "Ultra-wide bandwidth capabilities--out to 1GHz--allow Monster HDTV to support high-resolution standards of 720p, 1080i, and above. "

Generic - "resolutions. DVI-D Single Link can support up to 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz"

Are the 1 GHz and the 60 Hz referring to the same thing. If so, will this make a huge difference in quality. Do I really need 1 GHz?

I was just looking for some opinions on whether or not it is worth it to fork out the $100 for a monster cable.

As long as my DVI feed is better than my component, I will more than likely be happy.

Thanks for any help.

Anonymous

Do you know for sure your DVI is active, even though you have a DVI jack, the firmware in the box may not be installed.

Anonymous

DVI cables are not cheap, make sure before you buy the DVI cables that it you HD Cable box has it turned on, like I said , I work in cable for Adelphia and the movie industry is pushing for us to keep DVI disabled in the boxes until they can impose some kind of copyguard into the signal so you cant record movies to a computer to burn. All of our Motorola boxes have DVI but are all disabled.

Username: Rsuc18

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the responses...how would i know if it is active? Do I have to try a cable? Would TW know if I called them? I have a Pace box if that means anything to you.

Smily Mchappyman
Unregistered guest
Hmm.. interesting abotu the DVI possibly being disabled in the firmware.
I will let you know. hopefully getting a DVI cable today for 25 dollars Canadian. If you can find someone to sell you one for wholesale, rememebr that the markup to retail is likely over 300%.
Will let you know. Also my box is indeed the Science Atlantic HD3250 unit.

Anonymous

Im not to sure about the Pace HDTV boxes or the Scientific Atl., Adelphia does use both Motorola and SA. We use Motorola in the Frederick,Md area and SA in our Westminster areas in MD.I will Ck to how to tell if the DVI is enabled on those boxes, its probably similar to the Motorolas, power on then off, quickly hit menu or select button, you may see a configuration screen.

Anonymous

For a Pace box i would view this website and look at the manuals for that Time Warner box. http://www.pacemicro.com/products/products.asp?id=550

Anonymous

To check Scientific Atlanta boxes you hold down the settings key until the message light blinks. Press the select key. There you can look around at various settings, you may find if the DVI is enabled or not on that screen, im not positive you can find that info on that screen. Good Luck.

Smily McHappyman
Unregistered guest
Smily McHappyman reporting:
Okay got my hands on the DVI cable, plugged it into the Science Atlanta HD3250 HD reciever and it saw the connection right away. No need to enable it in any firmware or settings screen.
As it turns out, I sat there for about a half an hour going back and forth between the DVI and the component video and needless to say I could not at all notice an improvement with DVI over the component video cables. Some highly trained person with the trained eye for this stuff may notice a difference but I did not.
As soon as I aquire a DVD player with DVI, I will give you my opinion on the comparison of that. I would guess you might see a difference with DVD, but certainly NOT with HDTV is there a difference between DVI and component video.

Anonymous

Another way to spruce up your pictures on your tv is to adjust your contrast/picture down about halfway(depends on tv), touch up your brightness to about halfway or a little greater, bring your sharpness down a bit (half way or less), maybe your color up a bit around half or greater. The factory defaults do not do the picture any justice, this is for big screens and tube tv's. If factory defaults in the TV have not been touched after a few years the image may not look so hot after the adjustment is made, probably because the contrast was blasted and it somewhat has burned it in. Also with big screens it is good I found to do a manual convergence tweak opposed to allowing the TV do it, you can be a bit more picky with it.

Anonymous

And Smily, make sure when you do get a new DVD player get one with progressive scan, its alot better then normal DVD players.

Username: Sherrilll

In my oppinion DVI is the only way to hook up an HDTV. I have experimented with both component video and DVI and DVI is much better. Unfortunately it is so much better that my cable company turned off the DVI output on the cable box. They claim that pirates could make copies of movies with the DVI connection. They claim that it is a new FCC mandate.

Anonymous

Hey Sherrill, I work for Adelphia, in our HDTV seminars we have been told that our DVI must be disabled for now until better copyright protection can be implemented in the signal. There are a few cable companies out there that have had their HDTV boxes out in the field for awhile and may have their DVI enabled and have been grandfathered in allowing them to keep it on. We do want DVI enabled on our boxes, it is a better picture,its a digital to digital transfer. And yes, you could make near flawless copies of movies and pirate them, believe it or not. It may not be an FCC mandate but it has come down from the higher ups ,possibly the FCC. Why would the cable companies want to disable that feature on purpose,it wouldnt make sence. Just bear with component cables for the time being, as the industry develops so will the capability of us using DVI. Good Luck.

Anonymous

I need help! I have the samsung sir-ts160 and a sharp rear projection 55" (55p9502). I have my prog scan DVD player hooked up via component and my HDTV set top box hooked up via DVI. I cannot get 1080i signals on the DVI. I can get it on the component setup ( hooked up to the HDTV receiver) but not 1080i. All i get is vertical noise. It is SO annoying. Any ideas?

Anonymous

BTW, I have Directv.

Username: Sherrilll

Post Number: 4
I read up on this and it is true the FCC has made a new ruling in the Digital Broadcast Content Protection law FCC 03-273 which effectively outlaws the use of DVI interface. Page 40 which goes over the compliance requirements for a demodulator (cable box or DSS receiver) says a demodulator cannot direct digital content to any output except (1) an analog output or (2) to a digital output protected by Authorized Digital Output Protection Technology and there is more about what is entailed in protection technology.

Singleton Jamel
Unregistered guest
All this talk of DVI DVD players I'm shocked that the Bravo D1 hav not been brought up its image quality and value are supposed to be far better than the samsung. check it out! http://www.vinc.com/product.asp?id=31&PID=21
Also as far as I understand it Samsung and Sony dont seem to play well together in fact I've read not just the sony LCDs but also the wide screen CRT Sonys will have problems with the samsung DVI player.

Tony W.
Unregistered guest
Dave E. mentioned that he wished the tv had more than one dvi in. Have been pricing dvi switches WOW!!!!! Pretty spendy!! Need one for the sam. 931 & the hd sat box. Getting tired of doing it my self. As for the diff. btwn dvi & componet, no contest, DVI!!! Have high end dvi & component hooked up & am always switching back & forth, I see the difference. Mits. 55513 55in. Both hd sat & dvd.

Tony W.
Unregistered guest
Sam. 931 with dvi. I have noticed that all movies are diff. Some look really sharp others not so sharp. On the other hand somthing could have been slipped into my beverage & i could way out there.

Robert M
Unregistered guest
I just got my HDTV cable box (motorola). It came with component cables, but no DVI although the box has a DVI connection. I will be calling to find out if it is enabled. Assuming it is, how do I use the cable box DVI and my DVD DVI at the same time? Is there a DVI splitter available?

P-dot
Unregistered guest
Hi, I just stumbled upon this page and have a ? that hopefully can be answered.

About a month ago I purchased the Samsung LTN1785W 17" HDTV Widescreen LCD TV. I was super excited to hook it up and start seeing TV like all the displays at Best Buy portray. Finally I got the Comcast HDTV package and was real impressed with my HBO and INHD channels. Really looked great. I am running the HDTV box with component cables.

Next, I wanted to hook up a DVD player and start watching my vast collection of movies on this sweet TV. To my dismay the quality of my DVDs on this TV seem far worse than my old "bube tube". I went out and bought an HD ready Samsung DVD player and Monster THX component cables (supposedly top of the line) but my movies still looked like crap. So I returned the Samsung player and got a Sony Progressive Scan player instead. Same results.

I do not have a DVI input on my tv since Samsung only makes 22" and above with this option. However, I do have a PC (VGA) input. I have seen DVI to VGA converters online for real cheap, and was wondering if a DVI capable DVD player hooked up to my TV through a DVI to VGA convert would make the picture better than a non-DVI DVD player hooked up to the TV through component cables. Please let me know! I'm starting to think I should've bought a regular tv instead since my DVD's look better on a "bube tube"!

Unregistered guest
P-dot, it looks like about 2 months since your post so I assume you've figured it out? My guess is that you just have a setting wrong on your DVD player. Go to the players setup menu and make sure you have it set for a 16:9 TV and progressive scan turned on.

Let me know.. I'm kindof curious about your problem.

Unregistered guest
P-dot, it looks like about 2 months since your post so I assume you've figured it out? My guess is that you just have a setting wrong on your DVD player. Go to the players setup menu and make sure you have it set for a 16:9 TV and progressive scan turned on.

Let me know.. I'm kindof curious about your problem.

sanee
Unregistered guest
Wow, im confused, I just got the Sony Wide Screen Projection HDTV KP-51WS510 and the Sony DVD Home Theatre System DAV-BC150. But that DVD player does not have DVI output. SHould i return it and get another one with it. Or just stick with component cables?

P-dot
Unregistered guest
Kevin, never got my issue resolved...took back the DVD player and haven't watched one on that TV since. The HD channels from cable are great though. I've heard that DVD resolution is less than HD, so the quality of a normal DVD will never meet that of HD. However, I didn't realize it would be worse than a regular TV. I never got a DVI to VGA connector, because I couldn't get a definitive response on whether or not that would alleviate my issue. That's all I've got for you for now. Let me know if you find anything out! Thanks!

mikeinhouston
Unregistered guest
Are there different quality DVI cables or are they all the same? I just got my DirecTV HD receiver and I really can't tell the difference between the DVI cable and the "Monster 3" component cables that I had been using on my cable box. I have a Hitachi 50v500 50" lcd rp.

Username: The_newb

mikeinhouston all dvi cables are the same quilty just think of it like this if the signal gets there it gets there its digtal. Its like speaker cable is the cheap wire worst then monster cable i always thought so but i was wrong i starded using the cheap stuff half the cost of monster with better results. I heard monster some time uses to much sheilding and it could desrupth the signal. It is good if you are tring to go extream distances i here but on the dvi side no way it may be thicker and more durable but just think of optical wires same thing digtal and i have a 10 dollar cable and a monster no differces at all it gets there it gets there its not commponet wires.

mikeinhouston
Unregistered guest
Thanks newb! I appreciate the response!

a99hd88
Unregistered guest
anyone know where I could take a look at what the pin out details look like regarding DVI-D versus RCA Component connectors (Red,Green,Blue)? what does DVI add to RED,Green and Blue on their connectors?

AJS
Unregistered guest
I'm awaiting delivery of the Mitsubishi 52725 HDTV. I already have a Hughes HD/Tivo SAT box. I plan to run everything in my system through my Denon 3805 Receiver, including the component video from the Hughes SAT box. Is this the best way to set it up? Also, would it also work (at the same time as the component lines are connected to the Denon) to connect the HDMI/DVI "out" on the Hughes directly to the Mistubshi HDMI/DVI line in? In other words, will the SAT box output on both component and HDMI/DVI at the same time? I need to know because there will be occasions when I don't want to turn on the Denon receiver but instead just turn on the Mistubishi HDTV alone.

Also, what DVD recorder do you recommend with this setup?

Unregistered guest
Okay I have the Samsung 61" Projection LCD with DLP and the Samsung DVD Player HD-841. I'm Using the DVI cable that came with the DVD player and I'm getting AMAZING results! In my office I have a Mitsubishi LT3020 LCD and a SA 8000HD (Time Warner Cable) The DVI connector is enabled and I'm completely in awe every time I turn on the Discovery HD Channel or and HD sports broadcast!!! DVI is most definatly the way to go!
I also am looking for an affordable DVI switcher (4 to 1).

superguy
Unregistered guest
Hey everyone...was able to get CHEAP (and outstandingly good quality) DVI cable from EBAY. Found a NICE 6ft cable for less than 10 bucks (shipping included)...point is, this ISN'T rare! Go save on ebay!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us