Compatibility of HDTV and Progressive Video Signal with A/V Receiver and

Tom Secada
Hi,
I have a Plasma HDTV, and and progressive scan DVD player and comcast HDTV receiver. I am running my connection through my Denon 3803 receiver. Is my Denon receiver compatible with 720p & 1080i (HDTV Broadcast). And also is it compatible with 480p signal (DVD). I am only taking one component video out to TV from the Denon A/V receiver.

Tom Secada
Hi,
How to check an A/V receiver's compatibility with 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p asignal through it's video out.

Hawk
Tom:

Yes. This is known by the video bandwidth of the component video section of your 3803. It is specified at 100Mhz, which is more than enough to handle anything up to and including 1080p.

Tom Secada
Hi Hawk,
Thanks a lot for your information. How can I check video bandwidth for other receivers, and what is the minimum bandwidth requirement for 480p, 720p, and 1080i and 1080p.

I sincerely appreciate your help.

Regards,
Tom Secada

Hawk
Tom:

Hmm. It has been some time since I checked all this out, so I may be a bit off, but take these values as approximate, please.

Many manufacturers will publish the video bandwidth of the receiver's component video section, but many do not. Denon does, as does Onkyo (50 or 60 Mhz, depending upon model).

Of the ones who don't, I usually e-mail their technical support department and I get an answer back in a few days. Using this method, I discovered NAD receivers are 50 Mhz and the Marantz 7300 is 88 Mhz.

The previous Denon lineup had a video bandwidth of 27 Mhz, which is plenty good for 480i. Now, I have learned that the DACs within most HDTVs are better than what comes in your DVD player (I have seen a couple of demonstrations and their is no doubt in my mind about it), so 480i is plenty good enough as your HDTV will convert it to 480p.

30 Mhz bandwidth will do 480p well enough and 50 Mhz handles a 1080i signal just fine without degradation. Now it gets fuzzy for me as I don't remember where the degradation point is for 720p.

I do know that most videophiles I know are bypassing the receiver altogether and using an external component video switchbox, which is controllable with the receiver's learning remote. Check this out as an example:

http://www.smarthome.com/7772.html

Hope this helps.

Derek
According to this http://www.cybertheater.com/Tech_Reports/HD_Projectors/hd_projector.html link, both 720p and 1080i have pixel clocks of 74.25 MHz. It may be hard to find a source with that kind of bandwidth but that number is a good starting point. Also a device rated to 74.25 still may not pass the signal faithfully since this is probably the devices -3db point.

Hmmm. 27MHz just happens to be perfect for progressive-scan DVD...

Hope this helps.

Tom Secada
Hi Hawk and Derk,
Thanks for your information. A friend of mine has a Yamaha RX V3000 receiver. In the video spec section it says Component frequency response is DC-30MHz (-3 dB). Does that mean that the receiver is not capable of transmitting 1080i & 720p signal to his HDTV?

Derek
It will. It just wont be as sharp as possible.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us