HTB-505 vs. Sony HT-DDW840 (input needed please)

Pete
I am trying to decide between the HTB-505 and the Sony HT-DDW840. I see the sony has a 100 watt sub like the Kenwood, but the speakers are smaller. And the SONY is 349.00 compared to about 499.00 for the Kenwood. I need some serious input here. I want the best sounding unit out of the two, the price difference is not a concern. Thanx.

Anonymous
from the "HTB544 vs. HTB???" post i read, the kenwood sub is 120 watts

Pete
thanx for the input...anyone else? Just found out today that it's on it's way to me (the kenwood htb-505) I hope I like it.

Kevin
Yup, I just got my HTB-505 yesterday. I haven't had time to fully hook it up yet, but I'll give my short impressions...

- The subwoofer can crank out some monster bass. I doubt I'll ever use more then 20% of it's capacity.

- I've only used it with my CD player so far, but the sound has been very crisp so far. It also give quite a few nice listening options.

- It doesn't have as many hook ups as the HTB-544 or 504, but it's still a desenct amount.

- A lot of people have complained about the supplied wires. I'm not a huge audio freak, but I haven't noticed any problems with them.

kw
The speakers on the Sony are much smaller, which is nice for space reasons, but they sound like smaller speakers. It is always a trade off. If you want to listen to music often, go for the Kenwood.

Pete
thabx, just hooked it up yesterday and watched Behind Enemy Lines....great sound. Thanx for the input. I'm happy with my choice. It's a pain in the butt getting the speakers tweeked just right but it will be well worth it in the end.

Anonymous
I agree, the system sounded pretty good to me.

Anonymous
the sony is a better value

jasguild
can you control the base and treble on the kenwood receiver??

jasguild

Anonymous
The Onkyo HT-S 650 blows anything under $3000.00 away.

Anonymous
hi, i was jsut wondering how much this the HTB-505 is in canadian money, and were can i get it.thanx

Anonymous
Go to www.vanns.com for good pricing.

Brian
The HTB-505 can be obtained from bestbuy.com for $449 with a $100 and $50 rebate before the end of Feb.

Anonymous
This is a wonderful receiver mated to very competent speakers and a terrific subwoofer. It's relatively easy to set up, and sounds terrific over all.

Unfortunately, some of these receivers seem to have a bug such that the Dolby Digital Low Frequency Effects channel (the ".1" of "5.1") is not output to the subwoofer. You might not notice because in the usual subwoofer mode, bass from the other channels is fed to the subwoofer, and sounds satisfactory if you don't know any better. But if you listen to the ship passing overhead in Attack of the Clones on one of the affected units after hearing it on a good Dolby 5.1 system, you'll know immediately that something's messed up. If you have not heard the scene on a system that outputs proper LFE, you might not notice.

Given that the system should probably sell for $800-1000 with 5.1 sound, you may decide that $500 for 5.0 is OK. Or you may get one without the bug. Who knows? I exchanged mine and got a second one with the bug.

This system should be sold as Dolby 5.0 and not 5.1 because it isn't.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us