Routing speaker wire

I have to run speaker wire for my surround speakers and a pair of outdoor speakers. Is there any tricks on how to fish wire under carpeting so that I can cut straight across the room instead of following the base boards?

If you have a basement under the room, you can drill down and fish the wire where it needs to go from there.
I would not fish a wire under a carpet where it could be walked on. Any decent size wire will be felt as you walk over it and it could get damaged over time.
Good Luck

Anonymous
Try getting a 'flat' wire which you can run under the carpet.

Don't do it--just go the baseboard route. Yes, it's a pain, but it's far superior in every respect.

But running along the baseboards will add A LOT of length to the wire run. Won't this be a problem with the sound quality?

Unless you're talking about hundreds of feet, it won't matter in the least. In fact, if you go behind the baseboards, you may be able to use an even thicker wire. I've seen some runs of 100' with skimpy 22-gauge stuff, and it's been absolutely fine. I wouldn't recommend going that small, but 18-gauge or bigger should be just fine.

Anonymous
I ran the wire down the cold air return to the basement then outside and up the J-channel. I had a pair of outdoor JBL's and the sound quality was perfect. Worked just fine for me and the wire was invisible.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us