I'm considering to get Denon DHT-682XP or
Kenwood HTB-544.
Do anybody know which one's better?
Both are about the same price, but Kenwood
is harder to get. So, I'm inclined to buy
Denon instead.

Thanks a bunch

Tony Luketic
I to am having the same dilema. However since the Kenwood is nearly impossible to find and I like the Denon quality better I think my choice has been made for me. I just wish I could find some reviews for the denon to give me a better option in making the decision.

Kittipong
I think you should wait for a little while till kenwood release HTB-505, replacement of HTB-544 and HTB-504. I am kind of interesting about Denon Dht682xp too.........Please anyone share with us????

Tony Luketic
I purchased the Denon after researching it and discovering that Sears would price match. It is simple to set up and the sound is excellent. I heard them both and the Kenwood does sound nice, but the Denon is much better. Also I was told that realistically the Kenwood does not put out 100 watts at 8 ohms as is specified. The different sales people I spoke with said it was more like 70. That coupled with the reputation and quality of Denon made the choice pretty easy. Considering that Sears price matched it for me, I paid $491 plust tax for the system. I got a great deal.

Anonymous
Well one thing that sucks about the Denon, it only has 2 Digital Inputs, compared to the Kenwood's 4. After TiVo and DVD, you're out.

Other than that its a comparable system at just a slightly higher price, although I haven't seen nearly as many reviews for it as the Kenwood 5xx line.

Jon
To be realistic, most people are going to try and save a buck rather than spend a little more on a quality product. If quality is a higher concern than "bells and whistles"...go with Denon.

Scott
Tony, who did you pricematch from?

DChase
The Denon says outright that it is only 70watts per channel with 8ohm speakers. With 6 ohm, they say it will get up to 100, and it comes with 6 ohm spkrs. This will reek havoc if you try to upgrade the speakers.

Also, The Denon is now impossible to find.

Tony Luketic
I price matched with www.nxgen.com and sears matched it. As far as upgrading the speakers ther is no problem with that. I spoke to many people both Denon and non Denon, they all said upgrading is not a problem. They also all stated that that yes, it comes with 6 ohm speakers thats why it says 100 watts but in reality with 8 ohm it is 70, but the kenwood and all other mass produced all over estimate their wattage. In reality with 8 ohm speakers the KEnwood is just about 70 watts, the Denon says it is a 100 to match their claim. It is all a marketing ploy. I have never been able to turn it all the way up either because it shakes the windows where I have it now at about halfway. I have alos heard the same system with very good 8 ohm speakers and it sounds incredible. Again, you pay for quality or do you want bells and whistles.

Anonymous
Could you provide web page that has review or comment on this denon systems? Hardly seen one??

Tony Luketic
IT is the AVR 1602 receiver. See if you can find any reveiws on that or go to www, denon.com to check out the spec sheet. They are very difficult to find. A lot of websites have them but are not authorized distributors of Denon products. Beleive it or not sears is an authorized distributor thats why I had them price match for me so my warranty would be honored. I don't know what else to tell you except that the system sounds great, has plenty of power, and the quality is higher than Kenwood. Don't take it the wrong way, I am a fan of some of Kenwoods products, but I have seen their quality go down in the past few years.

Anonymous
any more furture discussion?

a grown-up
How is the Denon for Music?

Anonymous
Doesn't Sears pricematch the total price + shipping? Thats what they told me.

Tony Luketic
They do proce match for the total price plus shipping. The shipping from www.nxgen.com to my house was $6.41. I still paid less than $500 for the system.

Anonymous
The New Yamaha YHT-300 seems really good too. Anyone have any experience with it?

Chris E.
Update on the Denons at Sears...they no longer pricematch online vendors. Apparently they were getting too many crazy prices.

I am still swaying between the Denon, the Onkyo, and the Yamaha. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Chris,

Which Onkyo and Yamaha models were you comparing with the Denon 682 XP?

I liked the Denon 682XP for my first HT system but I think I might have researched this too long - can't find it anymore at any of the Denon authorized retailers.

Any help on comparable quality/price models much appreciated.

Anonymous
Try out the Onkyo HT-S650. I just picked one up last week after doing too much research, then listening to some Yamaha HTIBs, the Sony "dream" systems and the Kenwood 505. I really believe the Onkyo would beat almost anything under $900. Caveat - I did not get to audition the Denon 682.

abe
Dear friends - PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME...I just got a Denon 682XP ....but I just walked into sears and bought it without knowing anything atall about HT. For the money (550) - is it the best I can get???...what about sony or panasonic???
Oh one more thing - the speakers that come with it - are they sufficient ???..to me they sound good - but then again - before this - I was using a sony system - 150 $ boombox.....
I would be greatful for any input....
thanks in advance.....

Anonymous
Zeph - if you live in tri-state area - wiz is going out of business and they have the denon systems on clearence - check them out.

Anonymous
Abe, The deonon is a great system. Just upgrade the speaker wire and subwoofer cable to beeter quality. At least a 16 guage, good quality ( like monster) speaker wire and a good subwoofer cable. You can also get good qaulity optical and coax cables for the inputs. You can't even compare panasonic or sony in this price level. Denon is a much superior product.

abe
Thank you so much for gettting back to me.

anyone have any info on the DHT-683DVD by denon?

Anonymous
The dht-683dvd seems like a great system. SEars has it $899.

I found the DHT-683DVD system at www.nxgen.com and www.especialz.com for $639.51. I am considering this system. Does anyone have any experience in to how this system sounds?

I am also interested in the Denon DHT-683DVD and would like any feedback on it. Thanks.

Mike
Just brought home and hooked up the Denon DHT-683DVD this past weekend. Its very nice, and much better quality than the Kenwood 500 series ...the Kenwood just looked "cheap" by comparison. You can't beat Denon electronics in this price range and the compact speakers were a plus and so was the receiver, it even remembers your settings and tone control for each input. The sound, picture and features...once you learn the controls...are great. The only change I may make is to upgrade the subwoofer to a entry level component unit when I get my HDTV in a couple months. The bass is plenty loud and deep, but not nearly as smooth as component units in the $100-200 range. Paid under $700 at Sears day after thanksgiving day sale. All said and done, this is a great product for the $$. This was a family compromise ...I've been wanting to spend mega-$$$ to replace my 17 year old $2500 stereo with home theater and my wife wanted a $75 DVD player so she could rent DVD's and listen in stereo? (Duh!) We think we both won.

I finally got my system (Denon DHT-683DVD) and I am very happy with it. It can accomodate almost any possible input sources, and the decoder mode selection is only a button away. I'm still experimenting with all the attributes of this system, but by my early evaluation, it's a keeper !

Did I mention that I got is at Sears for $700?

By the way, Denon website advises buying their brand from a reputable vendor ... or else the warranty might not be valid.

So does anyone know if the Denon DHT-683 is better than the Onkyo HT-S650? I am doing a ton of research and I can't decide. Or should I go with a harman/kardon AVR 225 receiver and h/k HTKS 10 speakers?

Anonymous
OK Guys...how does the Yamaha YHT700 compare to the Denon DHT683DVD? They almost look identical(any chance they are the same co?). Both have Faroudja DCDi progressive scan DVD (not sure what that is) If anyone has some input I would love to hear it. Denon owners...how are you liking your HT?

This is one of the few placs I've been able to find reviews for the Denon DHT-683DVD. I didn't realize it featured Faroudja DCDi like the Yamaha does. This is the feature that made the Yamaha S100 such a beautiful product.

Home Theater Magazine raved about the Yamaha. http://www.hometheatermag.com/fullarchives.cgi?151

HOWEVER, it has its downsides which is why I'm interested in a different HT System. (For example, the remote control is a nightmare). I'm very interested in the Onkyo LS-V950 Envision system which goes for $900 at Crutchfield. (But I'm sure I can find it cheaper at other places).

CNET's Review of this system was 89% positive and 11% negative. http://electronics.cnet.com/electronics/0-9400734-1318-9952631.html?pn=1&lb=1&ob=0&tag=st.ce.9400734.top.9952631-1

The Yamaha that I first mentioned had only positive reviews, there were no negative ones. http://electronics.cnet.com/electronics/0-9400734-1318-8419119.html?pn=1&lb=1&ob=0&tag=st.ce.9400734.top.8419119-1

But again I don't know that I can stand having a remote that's as bad as that is.

I found out about the Denon DHT-683DVD just this afternoon and have been trying to get more information on it. I'm waiting for CNET to review it anxiously. If anyone has anymore things to say about it, please post, because I'm really interested in this system. (It's a toss up between this or the Onkyo. Sony's HTIBs are pure CRAP!)

For the Anonymous User who asked about Progressive Scan, it's just a better quality image. Most TV and all non-Progressive Scan DVD players show you the image in an interlaced version and at 30 Frames Per Second. Progressive Scan shows you the whole entire image in one fell swoop at 60 Frames Per Second. The quality is far better with Progressive Scan. That's why it's important to get a DVD Player that has it.

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether or not you need a television that's HDTV Capable. I have a TV like that (Sony KP46WT500) but it's not hooked up to a Tuner. Does anyone know if I need to do this in order to take advantage of Progressive Scan?

Anyway, thanks guys. Good luck with your buying! :)

William

Nocheez
i know this is old but i found the denon 682-xp at sears, CLEARANCED for $330, and then my mom's 10% off because she worked there brought it to below $300. it sounds AWESOME. just thought i'd rub it in.

Anonymous
Nocheez - I got the same price - in May 2002....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us