PLEASE HELP: setting up home theatre

Anonymous
im an amateur and wanting to set up a basic system to listen to mostly music cd's but occassionally watch dvd. Because of this i am not that interested in little surround sound speakers but just 2 big wooping main 3way speakers and a dvd.

Problem: i was told i would require an amp, but i not sure y, especially when u can buy home theatre packages (dvd, sub and 5speakers) which dont come with an amp.

Question: does the home theater packages come with an amp inbuilt into the dvd or something along those lines? If yes is it possible to purchase a dvd from a home theatre package to run my 2 -3way main speakers?, and also how do i know if the dvd has an inbuilt amp?

or do i even need an amp at all?

IM SO CONFUSED CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME WITH WHATEVER KNOWLEDGE YOU HAVE, thankyou very much aaron mcartney

Pete
yo, the dvd only has a preamp in it otherwise known as "low level out", which is only able to drive, say, headphones or those tiny little pc speakers you used to have beside your 386pc

the 5.1 sat and sub speaker sets you refer to as not coming with an amp actually have an amp built into the subwoofer enclosure, that why the sub box recieves low level inputs and must plug into the wall socket to recieve power for its inbuilt amp.

in short, if you want woopin great 3way speakers, you WILL need an amp, just pickup an old silver front wooden box type amp from a garage sale, it will handle stereo no probs and wont cost much, or anything. my mates drive two theater speaker boxes (6 x 15inch woofers with one they picked up for 50bucks. mind you it puts out 500wattsRMS

aaron mcartney
thanks mate :)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us