Help me install my surround system

Roxy
I have a TV, Cable box, DVD player, VCR and surround sound receiver that I want to hook up. The manual for my SS receiver is too complicated for me. I'm assuming that I want to connect everything into my receiver. Can someone point me to a schematic that I can follow? Sorry for being an idiot here.

Thanks

Roxy

Richard
Go buy an optical cable. Next buy component cables. Hook component cables from dvd player to tv. If you have no component use S-video. Next hook optical fiber cable (costs $20) to reciever, from reciever to dvd's optical fiber cable port. Use RCA (red,white, yellow) to hook up cable. So, RCA from TV to cable box. Cable box to reciever. Same with VCR but will need different video mode. The people on these boards are @$$holes. So I am glad to be at your service and hope this helps because this is my only reply.

Derek
See my March 27th and April 7 posts in Home Video > DVD Players > DVD to VCR to TV to Stereo hook up.

Roxy
Thanks guys for helping out a chick. Derek, I can't find your 3/37 or 4/7 post in the DVD section. Can someone point me to a schematic? I just moved into my own place and want to hook up my new rockin system.

Roxy

qdog
http://www.prillaman.net/ht_info_8-wiring.html}

Roxy
Thanks again. I have a few more chick questions after reviewing the wiring diagram.

1. The cable goes directly into the VCR and not the receiver?
2. What is the green Digital Audio cable? Is that the same as an optical cable that Richard suggested?
3. Is the Blue cable a standard coax cable like the one that comes out of my wall for cable TV?
4. I don't have digital cable. I only have one input and one output on my cable box. I'm assuming I just use one cable from the box to the VCR without any Analog Audio Cables.
5. Are the Red Analog cables the same thing as RCA cables?

Sorry for all the questions but this stuff is totally Greek to me. This is probably like you guys trying to make a dress without instructions.

Thanks

Roxy

gonk
Roxy

1. One of the diagrams I have on the link qdog posted does put the cable box going directly into the VCR, but it's not required. The benefit to that arrangement is that you can record a cable program while watching a DVD or listening to a CD. In your case, I would probably connect the cable box's audio and video outputs to the receiver and then connect the VCR to the receiver's "VCR" input *and* output (VCR out to receiver in, receiver out to VCR in). In this case, if you want to record a program, you will need to leave the receiver set to the cable box's input to allow the VCR to record it.
2. The digital audio cable is either optical or coaxial digital, depending on which type your DVD player uses. Optical is cheaper typically, but many players (especially the less expensive ones) only have one type of digital audio output. Toshiba typically uses coaxial only, while Panasonic uses optical.
3. The blue cable is not like the RF coaxial that comes out of the wall. It is a different beast. It looks like an RCA cable (see this page -- http://www.prillaman.net/ht_info_7-cables.html#plugs -- for some cable explanations).
4. If your cable box only has the standard RF coaxial input and output (the threaded metal plug), then we should probably disregard much of what we talked about in #1 above. You will want to connect the box's output to the "antenna in" on the VCR; as you are assuming, you don't need analog audio/video cables. Then you can connect the VCR like we talked about in #1.
5. The pink/magenta lines are analog audio cables -- RCA cables. The red lines to the speakers are speaker wire.

Roxy
Thanks guys. My system sounds great and I learned a lot doing it myself. A special internet BJ to those who took the time to help me out.

Roxy

Bill
Roxy,

There are good folks on this board. What a gracious offer. Where were you when I was dating?

Bill

Jessa
I have a sony compact av system and just want to hook up the surround sound to my tv. I already have the surround sound hooked up when I watch a dvd but don't know how to have the surround sound when I just watch tv. Please help!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us