Help needed for Onkyo HT settings

Username: Sharpguy

Post Number: 1
Hi Guys,.. I need some help suggestions about how to setup my Onkyo 5.1 HT R330.
Actually I purchased it 3 yrs back. and continuously trying various things myself.
I have connected DVD Player to this using Optical as well as digital-COAX. I hv also connected my TV to this HT using normal L-R sterio cable.
But I am facing lot of difficulties in understanding following things
(My room size is around 17ft X 17Ft & Dist. Between DVD player and HT is just 3 Ft, means 3 ft COAX cable is being used)
1) What would be the best Decibel Settings for each individual speaker?
2) What would be best Crossover frequency to be set - 120 or 150? I hv no clue what is the funda of this Freq.
3) Even though I hv connected DVD Player to this using Digital -COAX, still most of the CDs that I have does not have 5.1 surround audio stamp. So should I listen on PL2 mode or Neo6-DTS mode?

4) Should I purchase 5.1 analog cable to connect each channel separately from my DVD player to Home theatre? Would that give better sound than single Digital CoAX cable?
If I am playing CD recorded in 5.1 mode, wud 5.1 analog cable give better sound-effect than this single COAX?
5) In HT there is an option of setting Speaker Size to "Small" & "Large", Which one should I choose? I couldnt figure that out. I hv set it on to Large but find dont much difference between both setting.
6)In Setup-Audio Adjust Following settings are present
(a) Panorma (On or Off)
(b) Centre Width ( 0 to 7)
(c) Centre Image ( 0 to 5)
(d) Multiplex - It gives following Options
- Main
- Sub
- M/S
(e) Dimension (0 to 6)

I seriously hv no clue how should I setup above options.

I hv read number of existing thread but cudnt find any direct answer to these.
I wud sincerely appreciate if any of you expert can guide me.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14572
Try this guide:

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/speaker-setup-guidelines/

But...the best judge of what sounds good would be your ears. What sounds good to you? It does not matter what other people sound good if it does not sound good to you does it?

If I were to tell you that you need to get a new set of speakers to get better sound,would that help?

You can't even tell the difference in sound when you set the speaker setting to large or small...that should tell you something right there.

How can you know what sounds good when you do not have a point of reference to compare the sounds?

What do you want out of your system?

Where do you think the weak link would be in your system?

If you are to start somewhere, stat with your speakers...of which you did not spceify.

Bronze Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 58
Most of what you are asking is up to you. No one can tell you what to set the Decibal setting to because this is based on your preference. In most situations 90% of the sound you hear will come from the front left and right and the center. If you think you are getting too much from the front left and right and not enough from the center then lower the front left and right and increase the center. Personally I just turn them all up to max and let the source and receiver do their job. For the crossover base it on the size of the sub speaker and refer to your avr manual to determine which is best based on this otherwise check the manufacturer web site for the sub to determine what they recomend. On your third question -again this is based entirely on what you prefer so pick the one you like. Using analog cables from the dvd to the avr is not any better than using optical or digital coax. Either way the signal is being decoded -the only difference is in what device is doing it. When using analog cables for each channel to the avr the dvd is decoding. When using digital coax or optical to the avr then the avr is decoding. Setting the speaker size to large or small is also based on the size of the speakers (the diameter) and your manual will tell you what to pick based on the diameter of the speaker. On the sixth question read your manual to determine exactly what these settings are for and choose the one that you like as this too is based on personal preference. Most if not all of what you are asking is in your manual. You seem to be interested in doing this right so take the time to read your manual. If you do not have it download it on the Onkyo web site. READ the MANUAL :-)

Username: Sharpguy

Post Number: 2
Arrrrighty... guys... let me see.... will let u know once i do some research..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us