Do I need a DVR to DVD recorder connection to record from DVR?

Username: Malbari

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 4
Hi,

I want to replace my DVD player with a DVD recorder to view DVDs and more importantly, record saved shows from my DVR (Motorola box through Comcast). I'm trying to figure out the best connection, and also if I need to conncect the DVR to the DVD recorder. Here's my potential set-up, although I can change it if necessary.

-DVR (HDMI out) to Denon AV receiver (HDMI in)
-Newly bought Panasonic DVD recorder (HDMI out) to Denon AV receiver (HDMI in)
-Denon AV receiver (HDMI out) to Panasonic HD TV 1080i (HDMI in)

So as you can see, I'm using the AV receiver as a pass-through for both sources. For me to record saved shows from my DVR to the DVD recorder, will I need to connect the DVR to the DVD recorder using the above set-up?

Alternatively, since the TV has 2 HDMI inputs, would it be better to connect the DVR directly to the TV via HDMI (while the DVD recorder remains connected to the AV receiver)? In this case, will I need to connect the DVR to the DVD recorder?

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2066
­
So as you can see, I'm using the AV receiver as a pass-through for both sources. For me to record saved shows from my DVR to the DVD recorder, will I need to connect the DVR to the DVD recorder using the above set-up?

Alternatively, since the TV has 2 HDMI inputs, would it be better to connect the DVR directly to the TV via HDMI (while the DVD recorder remains connected to the AV receiver)? In this case, will I need to connect the DVR to the DVD recorder?

The answer is yes to both questions. How else is the DVD recorder going to get the signal from the DVR? I would hook up S-video from the DVR's S-vid output into the DVD recorder's S-video input. You would also hookup the DVR's R/L red/white outputs into the DVD's audio inputs.

Hooking the DVR's HDMI directly into the TV won't change anything regarding your recording procedure.
­

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3722
You may have problems trying to record to DVD from a DVR. If any of those programs are copy protected, you won't be able to record them.

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 5
John, thanks! That's what I thought but I guess I could never be too sure.

Since my TV sits on top of the fireplace and I'll be wiring (more like fishing) all the wires behind my fireplace from the AV components to the TV, I need to make sure I have the proper wires before starting the project. I'd hate to have to fish it twice.

Thanks again!

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 6
David, I've done it in the past, which of course doesn't mean that I could do it again, but am hoping it wo'nt be a problem this time around.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 473
Marl you don't have to fish anything to your tv your current set up is fine. You simply need to connect the DVR to the DVD via S-video and L&R audio connections.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us