Cable issues w/ new home theater

Username: Hardinbjj

Motown, Wv Usa

Post Number: 1
My HT is possibly going to consist of an Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 1080 projector, ps3 for blue-ray, and I was hoping to purchase a decent receiver and some speakers for around 500$~. My pc will be hooked up as well.

I am a super noob when it comes to setting up cables for my HT. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) How would I go about connecting my pc audio and video to my projector and/or receiver? I was thinking about directly connecting my pc to the project via 15 pin D-sub(vga), but I don't know how the audio will work into the receiver and coordinate with the projector.

2) What kind of connections would I use for the audio connection from pc to receiver?

3) This might be a dumb question, but how does simple cable television hook up to a receiver?}

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14364
1 - If your PC has a proper audio output(not the headphone output), you connect that directly to the receiver. Only video goes out to the projector.

2 - If your PC has a digital audio output and your receiver has a digital audio input, use it.

3 - A simple cable television hook up does not hook up to a receiver, unless the cable box has audio outputs.

Is $500 your total budget for a receiver AND speakers?

Motown, Wv Usa

Post Number: 2
I apologize for being so vague, i really don't know what I'm talking about in this area.

~my pc has 3x 3.5 mm output jacks, is there a cable that can convert it into rca type plugs for a receiver?
~500$ is more of a guideline, i know its extremely low for a receiver and speakers, i could probably bump it up to 1k - any suggestions on what to get?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14376
No worries.

If your PC has those types of outputs, just make sure that they are low level outputs and not the kind you can put a headphone on. If they are low level, then you can get a converter plug.

What is available in your area for audio equipment?

Motown, Wv Usa

Post Number: 3
The best we have around here is probably best buy or sears :/

thanks for the info btw :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14395
If you have best buy...look for the Pioneer VSX 1017 or 917. Check if Best Buy still carry the Athena line of speakers. Their combo work really well together.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us