Surroundsound & t.v

Username: Tanarus

Post Number: 1
Hello there Guys.
Question....
I'm trying to get surround sound fired up I have a ("Proscan t.v.") link below.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000OH25QG

("RCA home theatre system") link below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RCA-RT2380BK-Home-Theater-Surround-System-Black_W0QQitemZ280 189779570QQcmdZViewItem

I just cant seen to get it going,am I going to need another charter sat box in my bedroom?

thoughts??

Bronze Member
Username: Floyd_1977

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 96
If you have a satellite box, then connect the digital audio output (optical or coax, but probably optical) from your satellite box to your RCA home theater receiver.

Post Number: 2
Thanx Nathan.
I tryed to go straight t.v to the rca surround sound system, my brother inlaw tells me it wont work without another charter sat box.
I got charter coming in in a few days to get me another sat box for my bedroom.

Gotta wach playoffs and superboul comming out of these speakers.

Bronze Member

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 97
I don't understand. If you already have a charter satellite box, why can't you connect your sat. box to your RCA receiver? What I'm talking about does not involve the TV at all.

Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 7
You are on the right track Mke. Do you have sattelite set top box at all in this setup right now? How is the sattelite signal being decoded when you view it on your tv? This was never made clear.. It usually cannot be just connected to the tv without some kind of sattelite receiver. Are you connected to one in another room?

Post Number: 8
Also I think that there is some confusion as to whether you have sattelite or cable. I am pretty sure that Charter is only cable. Wich do you have? There maybe a way to avoid the monthly expense of another set top box. If you are getting video without a box then it must be cable??

Bronze Member

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 98
Jeff, you are right. If he is using straight cable (i.e. cable directly into the TV without a set top box), then his only option is to run RCA analog from the TV to the receiver. At this point he won't get true surround sound (DD 5.1), but he can use Dolby Pro Logic.

Post Number: 10
He is probably not getting high def without the box so this is really probably a mute point. If its a high def tv I would recommend getting a box.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Mke the box should be high def capable. Do you have a high def TV?

Post Number: 3
yea,i got a charter sat box in the living room.But I do not have a sat box for the bed room,and the bedrooms where i'm trying to fire up the surround sound as well.

Thought it could be done with just the T.V and the RCA home theater system alone...dont think it can =/

T.V is High def Dual HDMI
"It usually cannot be just connected to the tv without some kind of sattelite receiver"

I'm starting to think that to now Jeff.lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Little confused. if you have sattelite tv in the bedroom then how are you getting that on the tv in the bedroom without having a Sat box? The box should be HD capable and you should connect the receiver directly to the box using optical or a digital coax (orange.) Make sure whether your sat box needs to be configured in setup to accomodate bitstream. Verify that you are getting 5.1 when you should. This is normally displayed somehow on the receiver and varies as to how its displayed. Your receiver manual will tell you what to look for to verify you are decoding 5.1. Just don't expect all stations to do this. In general HD stations will either be all 5.1 or have at least some 5.1 content..

Bronze Member

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 99
You are not being clear about how your TV is currently set up. Is your TV somehow connected to the satellite box in the living room in order to get a picture in the bedroom?

It's also not clear what you're trying to accomplish. Do you just want to hear the TV through your surround system, or do you want 5.1 Dolby Digital? If you want 5.1 DD, you'll need a digital connection between your receiver and a cable/satellite box (no TV involved, unless you're using an OTA antenna).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us