HDMI switching with receiver, but no video

Username: Brayski98

Post Number: 3
I just bought a Pioneer 1017TXV-K receiver that does HDMI switching. I have a direct tv box with an hdmi cable and an hd dvd player(Toshiba-HDA3) with an HDMI cable going to the receiver. And then hdmi to dvi cable to the DLP TV. The direct tv works great, but there is no video for the hd dvd player. But the TV sees a signal otherwise it shows a blue screen. I tried switching cables between the DVD play and Sat box, tried switching position on the back of the receiver and it is always the DVD player. I hooked up the DVD player directly to the TV and it works. Is the signal not strong enough to go through the reciever, or am I missing a setting on the DVD player or Receiver?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2036
­
There have been numerous complaints regarding HDMI hookups involving a "repeater" (e.g. a switch or a receiver) in between the source device and the display. I'm not sure you can alter the Pioneer's firmware to make it "talk" to the Toshiba. BTW, you have updated the firmware on the A3....?

http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=56607

One thing to try is to turn on everything in reverse order. Turn on the TV, and when that display is up, turn on the receiver (switched to the A3's HDMI input), then boot up the A3 itself.

If that doesn't work, you could try contacting Pioneer. It's a long shot, but there could be a firmware update available.

If all else fails, you have already discovered the workaround. Unfortunately, if your TV has a DVI input, it is most likely the only one. You could hook up the sat box via component. I'll bet you won't see much difference in PQ.
­

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2037
­
As the A3's manual says, "HDMI is an evolving technology, so it is possible that some devices may not operate properly with this player."

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the info. I sent Pioneer an email regarding this. I will check on the update to the firmware. I just got the DVD player 3 weeks ago. I hooked up the component video for now to the TV. My TV is older and only has one DVI input.
In reading on Toshiba's website, I'm wondering if it has to do with copy protection.

Post Number: 5
I checked and the firmware is 1.3. I tried the turn on order you mentioned, but no luck. It is not copy protection either as it does it without a disk as well.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2042
­
This is obviously an issue with Pioneer. Hopefully, they'll get back to you -- they surely must know about this. You can't be the only one with this problem.

Post Number: 6
Pioneer was no help. Here is there reply:
There are no setup options for the vsx to get it to work with the Toshiba HDDVD. Make sure to have the lasted firmware for you HDDVD player.

I am starting to wonder if it is something with the TV itself. I have another HD TV I am going to hook up and see if I get different results.

Post Number: 7
Update: I hooked everything up to another HD TV and it worked just fine. There is something in the signal that the TV will not process it correctly. The TV is a Samsun DLP. About 4 years old, but it only has one DVI input.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us