Questions! Help Please!

Username: Ls_turboeg

Post Number: 1
So, I've been planning my system for awhile and at the moment I'm boggled, so i need some expert help. First off here's my equipment.
Panasonic pt-ax100 HD Projector
Sony STR-DG510 Receiver
Toshiba HD-D3 DVD Player
Scientific Atlanta 3250HD box

My issues are what is the best way to connect everything and what cables would I need. I've done some research and it seems the component cables are the better way to go for reliability compared to HDMI. I have many questions tho.

With running the component cables from my projector to my receiver, do i still need a yellow video cable. I've been looking at his diagram and can't make sense of it.

http://www.scientificatlanta.com/products/consumers/userguidepdfs/T10864-3250HD_ HTS_HDTV.pdf

Here's my receiver:
http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/SonyStyleStorefrontAssetStore/img/products/STR DG510_rearpanel.jpg
My projector:
http://www.bigscreen.se/tester/Projectors_2006/90_Panasonic_PTAX100/PanasonicAX1 00_connections.jpg

If someone could shed some light on this situation it would be much appreciated and we can go from there. I guess my main question is which cables will i need to run from my projector to have the best quality picture/sound and where will they run to?

Thanks in advance, Your help is much appreciated!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2023
­
"With running the component cables from my projector to my receiver, do i still need a yellow video cable. I've been looking at his diagram and can't make sense of it.

You don't need to use the yellow composite cable if you are going to use component into the projector.

However, I would still use HDMI for the connections, though. While there does seem to fewer problems in general with component connections, using component with an HD DVD player will block upconversion the player does with standard DVDs. Furthermore, the player will output HD (720p or 1080i) in its component output on discs that lack ICT copy-protection. I honestly don't know if this presents a problem with seeing HD on HD DVDs via component or not. I have had my Tos A3 only a few days now and have not tried its component out for movie playback yet.

I just tried component on my A3. I get 720p (which I have it set to) out on component with an HD DVD, but I get no video when I play a standard DVD. I do get 720p on DVD on the A3's HDMI out. I do not think this is a setup issue.
­

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 347
I dont have sat or cable so I use my vcr for a tuner for my projector since projector dont have them, but even if you want vcr you will need composite hookup, I use S vid for my old XBOX, and I have know idea why since I bought a used one a few months ago when my other burned out and the used one I bought came with a component cable hhaa hold on give me a moment on that one....................................why...................lazy............... ........any ways I use component for the 360 and dvd/cd player, I play a lot of online game instead of watching TV so DSL is hooked up to the XBOX`s, anyways you can use all the hookups if you need them, sound like you going to have a nice system, what are you going to use for a screen?

Silver Member

Post Number: 348
john I posted on top of you, you got a new toy? let me know if you figure out the component issues

Post Number: 2
So overall, you guys think i should just run an hdmi cable to my projector right into my receiver then? and just scratch the component cables? If i do run the hdmi cable (which i would get from monoprice) I wouldn't need any other cables coming from my projector if i understand this correctly? Sorry for all the questions, i just want to make sure its right since the wiring will be hidden in the ceiling :-)

Thanks for your help so far!

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2025
­
Yeah, got a new toy. I figured I couldn't pass up an HD DVD player for $150 on black Friday. I've got some things to learn about it. I've done more experiments and these are the results.

If you are going to play a standard DVD via component, you will have to change the output resolution of the player to 480(p/i). If this movie is copy protected (and most are I suspect), you will get no video if the player's resolution is set to 720p or 1080i. I did get 720p video on a concert DVD, but I assume this disc wasn't copy-guarded. All standard DVDs played fine at 720p via the HDMI out.

Furthermore, I noticed a perceptable improvement in PQ on the HDMI input vs. the component in --- even with the exact same video settings on both inputs on my display.

I hear they're dropping the dirt on HD DVD's coffin. I aint taking my machine back, though. What the hell, I figure I have a decent DVD player out of it....via its HDMI output, of course.
­

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2026
­
"If i do run the hdmi cable (which i would get from monoprice) I wouldn't need any other cables coming from my projector if i understand this correctly?"

That would be the ideal thing to do. Unfortunately, there's a teeensy weeensy problem. Your Sony receiver has HDMI pass-through only, meaning that it will not upconvert any other type of video signal to its HDMI output. This means that if you use the cable box's component out into the receiver, you will not see a picture from it if you run HDMI only from the receiver to the projector.

I have the same cable box and my cable co (WOW! central Ohio) told me that the box's DVI out was not supported. But maybe yours works. If so, you could run a DVI®HDMI cable into the receiver. This should work, at least in theory. I would try it first, before you bury the wires.

Or you could stick with your original idea of using component. You would have to be happy with 480 playback on standard DVDs, however.

Or, you could run both HDMI and component. Monoprice is so cheap it shouldn't cost too much to do that.
Upload
­

Post Number: 3
Well thehn that makes it easy.. I'll just run both! So I'll run the hdmi right in the receiver along with the component right? I'll run my hd dvd player via hdmi as well and then my cable box will be component to my receiver as well.. I think i got this right.. Sound good to you?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2027
­
Sounds good to me. This way, if you add some other video device, then you have one component and one HDMI available on the Sony, and either will feed the projector.

Enjoy.Upload

Post Number: 4
Thanks a bunch! I owe ya bigtime. I wish I could send you a beer online.. haha!

Silver Member

Post Number: 349
hay john, what do you mean by dropping the dirt
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us