Surge Protector

Username: Lilsnoop40

Post Number: 9
hi, i am looking for a new surge protector. not sure what kind i need or how stronge. this is what i have that will be plugged into it. not sure if the one i have is doing the job right i have some static shocking going on. Thanks

Onkyo HT-SR800 Home Theater
Pioneer PDP-5071HD Plasma TV
Toshiba HD-A30 High-Definition DVD Player
Directv HD Receiver
Xbox 360 Console
Sub Woofer From Receiver
Microsoft Xbox 360 Quick Charge Kit
DAYTON DAC-OC OPTICAL TO COAXIAL CONVERTER

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 335
if you want to protect you stuff from lightning strikes then you will probobly want a protector intalled in your breaker box I think there around $400 and form what im told you have to keep an eye on them because when they get hit they blow, as far as a plug in the wall type I just go to radio shack and get a nice inexpenive one knowing that plug in types wont stop a lighting strike I unplug my stuff before a storm,

in the future I will have one insalled in my breaker box and then run a designated power cable to my home theater and then buy a nice power conditioner,

and what do you mean by static shocks? if you mean by walking across the floor with whool socks then just enjoy it like I do

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3692
No Radio Shack surge supressor is going to do much good. Panamax makes some of the best surge supressors in the business. Nothing is 100%, but being protected is always a good idea. With that TV, I'd definitely invest in a Panamax. Whenever possible I unplug everything at the first sign of lightning. If the power goes out, that's the time to unplug everything too, the power can surge far beyond 120 volts when it comes back on.

Silver Member

Post Number: 342
the average person is not willing to spend over $50 for a surge protector and the ones at radio shack do have proporty damage replacement, now im no expert at power protectors but you did get me thinking so did some looking around, turns out one call were I have a credit card has the panamax on clearance http://www.onecall.com/ProductSearch.aspx?N=243 that HDTV starter kit looks better than the monster crap,

but Im looking at the panamax max 5300-ex maybe now is the time for me to buy a conditioner $250 free shipping no tax and one year no interest let me know what you think?

but then I was thinking what about my projector last month the power went out and I was screaming knowing there was nothing I could do for my projector bulb that was now cooking inside my projector with on cool down, Im sure that took of about 500 hours off the life, so im going for this at a very good price http://www.laaudiofile.com/ht1000ups.html

If I do this and then maybe next year install a protector in my switch box then I should be pritty much protected unless lightning comes threw the window

Gold Member

Post Number: 3694
Someone that owns a Pioneer plasma TV can and definitely should spend the $100 to buy a Panamax surge supressor to protect it.

That damage replacement doesn't work the way you think it does and is only as good as the surge supressor. You have to pay a qualified technician to examine the product and say that the damage came from a power surge. If you think you just file a claim and get the repairs done, or get back the $2000-4000 you spent on that Pioneer plasma, you're wrong. Panamax will still be there if you need to file a claim in 5 years. Whoever made the Radio Shack supressor may or may not still be around.

Panamax surge supressors are better than Monster. They've been making them for a long time. Monster you're just paying more for the name and getting a lesser product.

Silver Member

Post Number: 344
WoW david you skipped over the important parts for me, I could care less about radio shack crap, I hastly mentioned it in the begining but now I will give options in the future, one thing is I would expect getting money from any company would be a hassel let alone trying to prove that there product failed, hiring a tec to try to prove it that would be a hassel by its self, like i mentioned in the begining I unplug my stuff to, I allready know you pay for the monster name and I did mention panamax HDTV starter looks good,

now what would help me and ironicly this thread seams to be mine now, I definatly did not think of investing on power protection at this time, but helping me idenifying if the panamax max 5300 EX thats on clearance is a great buy, then with the ups plugged into that for my projector I should be set to go

Gold Member

Post Number: 3696
I don't use anything as fancy as that Panamax you're looking at. Wheather it's a good buy or not, I don't know. It looks like a high end Panamax, so it definitely should work. Panamax has a lifetime warranty on all their surge supressors , so if the Panamax has a problem, they will replace it. It's the equipment connected to it that has to be proven to be damaged by a surge to get repairs/replacement.

The surge supressors have to be connected to a properly grounded outlet for the connected equipment warranty to be effective. That shouldn't be a problem unless you live in an old house with ungrounded outlets. The surge supressors have a green light that will be lit if the circuit ground is good. I live in a 1960 house that has some outlets grounded and some not. You can buy an outlet tester if you're not sure if your outlets are grounded or not.

Silver Member

Post Number: 346
thanks for the info david, the protectors have life time but I gess the conditioners have a 3 year

Bronze Member
Username: Ttsto

BucurestiRomania

Post Number: 17
Hi

Take a look at this, does the surge protection plus filters current for specific devices

http://catalog.belkin.com/PureAV_detail.process?Product_Id=178415

Regards

Username: Samsson

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1
SmartHome.com has a whole house surger protector for $279 and add the cost of a couple hours of an electrian's time. Then everything in your house is covered by a real surge suppressor.

Line conditioners like the industrial grade ones from Oneac also prevent surges getting through but one to handle your equipment list would cost as much as the whole house unit installed. What a line conditioner is great for are situation where the voltage sags and the lower voltage can actually cause just as much damage. By using a isolating transformer surges are also controlled but they only cover the equipment plugged into them and are rated for the watts they can provide.

If you had a DLP TV then a UPS comes in handy to keep the fan running until full shutdown in the event of a power outage.

Silver Member

Post Number: 353
ok with my own research and once again I didnt plan on buying protection at this time and the fact that this thread didnt start out as mine, my Panamax Max 5300-EX for $250 from one call, and my Tripp lite HT 1000ups from chumbo.com for $118.99 brand new, is working great, note: I unplugged the ups to test it out like the reviews did and it switched to the batt with no sign of power falure but then I read the instructions and there was a warning do not unplug your ups to test its batt, this will remove safe electrical grounding and may introduce a damaging surge into your system connection, thank god I tested an old XBOX, anyway im happy and I now dont worry about power outing on my projector and the power conditioner brings a stable feeling
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us