Shared Vs dedicated channels

Jack
Does having a separate line for each speaker significantly improve the sound quality compared to having 2 or 3 speakers share a line?

Derek
???

Come again...

idealty
Derek, he means (for example) if having a 7 channel reciever is better for 7.1 surround sound than having a 6 channel reciever with the sixth channel being split by two speakers. In other words, each speaker gets the full power from that channel's amplifier instead of several speakers sharing the amp on that channel.
I'm not sure of the answer as this is something that I have been wondering about as well. I do know that if 2 or more speakers share a channel, then they will each get a reduced amount of power. So if 2 speakers were sharing a channel on a reciever rated at 100wpc, then each would only be getting 50wpc. In general, more watts means cleaner, clearer, more "powerful" sound with less distortion at higher volumes. But I don't know if it really makes much difference in a multichannel environment.

Derek
Oh. Thanks for the clarification.

If you know your speaker's impedence AND if your amps can take the lower impedence, run the speakers in parallel. The total impedence will be cut in half (ex: 6.5 ohms will become 3.25 ohm). It will simply be louder. Very few mass-market amps can do this and you can damage your amp if you crank it.

If the amp can't take the low impedence run them in series. The impedence will double and present a very easy load for your amp. If your amps has the power, the speaker "system" will handle twice as much power.

Hope this helps.

Jack
Thanks for the info guys.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us