Has anyone seen an actual hdmi 1.3 deep color set-up?

Username: Baguns

Glendora, CA USA

Post Number: 3
I've been reading so much about hdmi 1.3 and deep color. I don't want to go out and upgrade my whole system unless it's something that'll really wow me.

I went to my local Best Buy (i know, not where a true HT person goes) just to see if they had a deep color set-up. the magnolia guy said he may have a set-up in a couple of weeks, but noted that you needed the Monster M series hdmi cable to support true 1.3 deep color.

i'm thinking about upgrading my system to the Samsung DLP 89 series hdtv (i believe this is their latest model), which the specs show has hdmi 1.3 supporting deep color, as well as the Onkyo 805 receiver, which also supports hdmi 1.3 deep color as well as Dolby True HD, etc.

i already have a PS3, which supposedly supports hdmi 1.3 deep color as well as Dolby True HD, so i should be ready to go with the samsung dlp and onkyo receiver for all that blu-ray has to offer.

Has anyone out there actually seen what deep color looks like? what are your thoughts on the set-up above? thanks.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1979
­
Good God, these people make so much money on Monster cables, they'll do or say anything to sell 'em.

In order to make for a wider color gamut and a higher bit depth for even more realistic-looking displays (capable of creating a wider range of colors), every step in the chain needs to do that exact thing, as well. If the camera can only do Rec.709, it won't matter that your TV can do more than that, because that extra color isn't in the source (which is, uh, the situation we have now). If the camera can do xvYCC but the medium (say, HDTV broadcasts) can't, again, it won't matter that your TV can do it. In other words, for you to see the new colors, material will have to be shot, transferred, encoded, and mastered in xvYCC and Deep Color. Sure, you could fake the wider color gamut at the mastering stage, but this won't be true extra color.

Just because it's in the HDMI spec doesn't mean you'll be seeing it fully implemented any time soon. Sony showed a prototype LCD panel at CEATEC in October that was xvYCC compliant. As you've read, such a TV is only one part of the equation and, in reality, is the easiest part (when and if it ever ships). We'll need source material--and a source to output it--that can also do xvYCC and Deep Color (other than just a PC, PS3, or camcorder). Apparently, now that there is a way to transfer it, studios and manufacturers are both getting more interested in xvYCC and Deep Color. So, in other words, these are great ideas with lots of promise that we may see, but not any time soon.

http://hometheatermag.com/gearworks/207gear/
­

Bronze Member
Username: Techylah

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 16
This "deep color" advantage of HDMI 1.3 is not about a larger color gamut.
It's about there being only 8-bits of precision for the digital r, g, and b channels in DVI and HDMI 1.2. This is to be compared to COMPONENT video which, though analog, does not have this precision limitation. 8-bits gives you only 256 gradations which means a loss in detail at either the dark end or light end of the tone range of the video image. This has been discussed in another thread.
Regarding this thread, no, I have not seen HDMI 1.3 yet, but am also very eager to.
By the way, go with shielded but CHEAP cables! There is no noticeable difference.
Save a bundle.
If you go over 100 watts rms for a speaker, just get lower gauge wire, NOT name brand speaker cables!
For the video, choose component video over HDMI 1.2 and use cheap but shielded cables there too. No gold! No double shielding! No special dielectric insulation!
Totally shameful is the creation of such false and expensive cable needs!

Username: Baguns

Glendora, CA USA

Post Number: 6
mitch - i simply assumed that HDMI connections were superior to component connections. Are you saying it's better to hook up a dvd player using the component cables instead of HDMI? or are you suggesting from a cost/benefit analysis, component cables are a better value than HDMI? I already have HDMI cables (not sure if it's hdmi 1. whatever, but they're the sony true av cable purchased about 2 years ago).

i think i'm going to hold off on any purchases for the time being until i see an actual hdmi 1.3 deep color picture myself.

thanks for the advice guys.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 463
All HDMI cables will carry HDMI 1.3, its not the cable but software. Stop looking for and worrying about deep color it is a bit far off and won't be used very soon.

Bronze Member
Username: Techylah

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 17
Chris, sorry for the delay.
I AM saying it's better to hook up a DVD player via component video rather than HDMI. This is true even though HDMI is digital and therefore more noise-free than component, which is analog. The reason is because of the current HDMI (1.2) 8-bit color limit.
It's not visible for computer and gaming images, but is quite visible for movie images, since they frequently have a lot of detail in the shadows and highlights.

The whole cable thing is a separate issue altogether. Regardless of which type of connection you use, it is nearly a total waste of money to pay 2x-10x (!) for gold-plated, double shielded, special dielectric cables. Get the least expensive cables you can find.

Casey is right about all HDMI cables being usable for 1.3 as well as 1.2.

Regarding deep color, I have a Samsung 244T monitor, which has inputs for both component video and DVI-with-HDCP, which is effectively HDMI 1.2.
Connecting my Comcast box to it, there is a clear improvement using component video over the DVI.
This is not in sharpness, but in color graduation and something called "gamma", a variable that effects how all the midtone levels between pure white and pure black are distributed along a curve.
So, I connect my computer to my monitor via DVI and the HD satellite box to the monitor via component video. I am a very happy camper.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us