Home Theather Audio - need help with receiver/speakers

Username: Mogusmaximus

Post Number: 1
Audio newb here. My parents are getting all new equipment for their dedicated theater room and have asked me to put together a system. SWEET! The budget is ~$5000 for everything. The room is apprx. 20x25, but I will have the exact specs later today. I have already selected the following equipment:
1(projector)-Panasonic PT-AE2000U
2(screen)-Screen Goo - Digital Grey
3(DVD player)-OPPO DV 981-HD

I should have around $1200 to spend on a sound system. I am very reluctant to buy a theater 'package' from a company such as JVC or Onkyo or whatever. Would it be a good idea to purchase the speakers and receiver individually? Looking for the best bang for the buck here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Username: Baguns

Glendora, CA USA

Post Number: 4
i think you've chosen an excellent set-up to to get started with.

in my humble opinion, i think onkyo and polk have great values.
if you're not too concerned about upgradeability, and you think you'll stick with your configuration for several years, you can get a 7.1 onkyo receiver giving you enough juice to power the room for less than $300, leaving $900 for speakers.

for speakers, i say buy the "older" models. not a heck of a lot changes with speaker technology (unless you're a true audiophile, in which case $5000 would barely buy you one speaker).

The Polk Rti8 is about $550 for a pair, plus you get the Polk PSW10 free with the RTi10 (Polk seems to have this offer every holiday season).
Polk Csi3 center is $150, and you can get the FXi3 surrounds for $250.

i'm a little over your budget here (plus you have to factor in speaker wires, hdmi cables, etc.), but I think you'd have a really good sounding system. don't get any of those HTIB deals. they're good for smaller rooms, but for a room your size, the floor standing speakers will sound much better, in my humble opinion.

good luck!

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 461
Thats a big room and a $300 receiver is a waste of money. For $1200 you will have a hard time building a good sound system. You have a good start with the video, you will need a good sound system to go with it. Start with a receiver ( Denon) and 2 speakers (Paradigm) and build your sound sytem over time.

Username: Mogusmaximus

Post Number: 2
Okay, so I was way, WAY off on the specs for the room:
19.7' back to front
14.5' wide
8.7' high

@Casey: Do you still think the room too large?

@Chris Bag: Thanks for the advice. What do you guys think of the x-series from AV123?
http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=speakers&brand=55

Username: Baguns

Glendora, CA USA

Post Number: 5
I agree which what Casey says, $1200 is a tight budget for a good sound system. Building over time would be the better, long-term approach, and I agree that Denon and Paradigm are great pieces to build any system with.

the reality is unless you're really looking for a certain sound or know what you're looking for, there are a number of products that will be "sufficient".

i personally haven't heard the AV123s myself. speaker selection is so subjective, so best is to actually listen to the speaker. bring a CD/DVD that you like and try it on different speakers. most places will allow you to do that.

the other thing to remember is that the acoustics of the room has a significant impact on the sound. you can listen to a set-up in the show room, or at a friend's house, and you bring that same set-up home, and it sounds totally different because of the room layout, furniture, floor, walls, etc.

If you can afford to build the system over time, Casey's suggestion is right on par. But if you want to start getting that surround sound, i think a $300 receiver should do the trick. try to find a showroom where they have different receivers and crank it up so you know what they sound like and how loud they can go. I have large rooms (bedroom is 15 x 20, living room is 30 x 25), and i've never had to crank up the volume that much to fill the room.

unless you're an audiophile, or listen to music/movies really loud, the $300 receivers should do the trick.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 462
There is more to consider with the receiver than just power more so with a projector. If you want to send only one wire (HDMI) to the projector instead of one for every source, you will need a receiver that will do thta kind of switching for you.

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 328
nice room specs, spend more on the sound, I hardly read this thread I will later but the mit HD projector is around $1000 I think they have a newer version for less now very tough and good projector, and to save money for now you can use paint from dunn edwards low sheen white with 5 drops of black, thats what I have untill I get the money up for the bad boy, put your money in this order, speakers because there going to last the longest cost the most and the tecnoligy dosnt grow as fast, then reciever then video
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us