Shaking my living room to pieces

I bought a Denon AVR 1603 and a Boston Acoustics PV600 sub (10" 100 watt). I made a mistake (probably major) hooking the system up. Firstly, I made the mistake of spending the extra $$ for the Monster Subwoofer cable. It comes with an RCA cable and a Y connector. In my excitement about the new system, working under the assumption I knew what I was doing, and believing there shouldn't be "extra parts" I inserted the Y connector to both the "By Pass Crossover" and the "Use Crossover" under the "Line Level In" on the back of my sub. Was this a major mistake?? The volume on the Sub is set to about 3.5 and it is putting out bass effects like I didn't know existed. Everything has base. Did I blow out my sub doing this?? It seems to thump over everything?? My whole living room is shaking. The windows are vibrating, and the dogs are going nuts. Or is this completely normal, and this what people mean when they say your sub should rock your whole house?? Please help...

AC
Second question: again with the Monster brand, I bought an optical cable, I attached it to the digital optical in on my brand new receiver -- no problems. Then I went to the digital out on my older (about three years) DVD player. It didn't fit!! I struggled to get that cord end into the slot but cord end just wouldn't fit. I am certain that the output is (1) Optical, i.e. TOSlink (2) the output cover had been removed (3) the connector was orientated the right way. In other words, I really don't think I was trying to fit the round peg into the square hole. Any ideas??

Anonymous
Do not use the Y connector, use only one line from "Use Crossover" to Sub Out on your receiver. Also set you Subwoofer to LFE on the back if it has the switch. Also make sure on your receiver you set it up to "Subwoofer On or Subwoofer - Yes" depending on what receiver you have. After this is done try playing with the volume level on back of the sub to get it the right level for you.

Anonymous
Your last ????

Use a Quality Coaxial Cable for the Audio out DVD Player to Receiver. People say that Coaxial is better than Optical. Unless you got some major interferences, with power cable or etc....

AC
Third Question: I've been reading the thread on Cable Boxes below. I have Comcast Digital Cable, and the Motorola set top box. I currently run the f-type coaxial from the cable box to the VCR to the "antenna in" on the TV. I used the L/R audio out on the cable box, and connected to the receiver "tv/dbs" in, and I used the L/R fixed audio out on the TV and connected to the receiver "auxiliary" in. I turn on the TV and get cable video, I set the receiver to "tv/dbs" and get my cable audio. If I were to watch a VHS movie, I'd set the receiver to auxiliary. I could use the component out on the cable box and the VCR, connect to my receiver, then to my TV, and watch Cable and VHS movies on my Video 2 (Video 1 is S-video and currently connected to DVD player). This would enable the "video switching" function of the Receiver, and would mean less changing of channels/sources, etc. But beyond that what is the benefit??

Anonymous
Your receiver should have a DVD Mode. You should set up your DVD player to the inputs. Other than that, I would not know about the rest. I just use my HT for DVD only. Maybe someone else can answer this question.

ac
First off, let me tell you all that I am very, very new to HT, and let me tell you I am of Polish decent (Ciosek is my last name), now:
To Anon (and to clarify in general): via s-video cable, I used the DVD player "video out" and ran to the "DVD video in" on the receiver, then ran from the "out to monitor" on the receiver to the S-video jack on my TV. I watch DVD on the Video 1 setting on the TV tuner. I used the s-video pass through on the receiver for DVD as someone advised that there may be sync problems (i.e. the video just ahead of the sound) if I connected audio only to the receiver, then made a direct s-video connection between the TV and DVD player. I cannot connect the VCR and cable box via component video to the receiver, and use the s-video out to monitor to get video, the circuitry is independent (according to my user manual). As such, I would have to run a component "video out" cable from both the cable box and the VCR to the receiver, and then run from the receiver to the component jack on my TV. That configuration would mean that the TV/VCR (antenna in) would display nothing on my television, Video 1 (s-video) would display the DVD video, and Video 2 (component) would display cable and VCR images. I am told that this would enable the "video switching" aspect of my receiver. What that means exactly I do not know. Further I am trying to determine the benefit of this set up. If the cable picture coming in from the street is run on f-type coaxial, will the component video out provide a better picture?? And what possible benefit is there from running the VCR along the component line?? With exception to DVD (I am using both the (A)udio and (V)ideo capabilities of my AV Receiver) I am only using the Audio capability for VCR and Cable. Should I rearrange my connections along the component pathway, and if so why??? This is my ultimate HT question. At least for now...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us