Have I done something horrible? (Onkyo TX-SR605 question)

Username: Trembler

Post Number: 1
I just upgraded my old SONY AV receiver to the Onkyo TX-SR605, mostly because of its HDMI inputs/output. I'm using it with a set of Bose Acoustimass IV Series 3 front and center channel speakers, with subwoofer.

One really nice thing about this receiver is it comes with a mic that helps you automatically set up your speakers with ideal power depending on your listening distance from the receiver. I did this and it went pretty smoothly, although it didn't seem to recognize the subwoofer. (which isn't powered separately, though the speakers run through it) I made one quick adjustment to add it, and tested it. Seemed fine. volume was decent, etc.

Turned off the receiver and went to bed. The next night, when I went to turn on the receiver, there was no volume at all through the speakers, no matter which component I chose. Also, on the ONKYO's on-screen setup display, the option for "speaker setup" was inaccessible. (it was greyed out) Like, suddenly, it was no longer recognizing my speakers. Also, I thought I detected the faint odor of smoldering plastic. No smoke or fire, but a weird smell nonetheless.

So, the question: have I done something horrible? Have I possibly burned out the speakers? The speaker contacts in the receiver? Something else? Or was that smell just an unrelated coincidence?

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 459
Try unplugging the Onkyo for a day and it may reset it self, then try the set up again. Are all the speakers hooked up to the sub? If yes you may need to select Large for the speakers in the speaker set up and no sub. I hate Bose.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us