Home Theater system and Plasma... above Fireplace?

Bronze Member
Username: Mwarrior

Post Number: 19
THe above says what I'm trying to do. I have about 6 inches on each side of the fireplace, and about 5 feet above the FP.
Above is where I plan to put the TV, but am trying to figure out what would be the best system to use for the surround/home theater. I saw the "Yamaha/Klipsch Quintet" combo today at Best Buy and that didnt seem too bad.

Issues are as follows: First of all, the tv will be surface mount, and I"d have to make cutouts for the equipment (studs still bare for a few days so I can do this before drywall goes up).

Second, I"d like to mount the surround (rear) speakers against the ceiling rather than at the wall. Could this cause any issues if they're pointed correctly?

Lastly, can anybody suggest a system for this? Or a way to set this up?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 444
I don't really have any experience with wall mounting plasmas, but I can tell you that a Yamaha/Klipsch match is not the best (purely subjective). I like Yahama and I like Klipsch, but never the two shall meet...

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 454
Why over the fire place? How do ypu plug it in? How do you run the wires? Whats the 6 inches on the sides.? I like Denon and Paradigm, the Millenia speakers can look nice next to a plasma.
http://paradigm.com/en/reference/fronts-millenia-millenia20-model-2-20-1-45.para digm

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 324
WoW Yamaha and Klipsch I think that would give listening fategue in a short time,

Geee, let me gess you want to put the couch against the back wall right? that would complete the allready questinable fire place issues into a very hard way to make a good home theater,

we can help and sorry if I sound like an aass but we have been threw this before,

give us room size, were you want to sit, ceiling hight, pictures of the room, and I will think of other things later,

home theater shouldnt be rushed

Bronze Member
Username: Mwarrior

Post Number: 20
Ceiling height is 10ft, room is about 38 x 18.
The fireplace will be in the center of the 18ft (if that makes sense?) So the couch wouldnt be 38ft from the fireplace, but approx 18ft at most. I'll get pics today and put them up.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 457
That is one big room, what about putting the TV on the opposite wall from the fire place.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 449
That is a huge room. How big is the plasma you will be mounting?

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 327
Gee, are you going to use the hole room? I mean 18' wide but are you going to put the tv and speakers in the center of that? and I dont think you would want to go any more than 20' back with rear speakers and seating about 15' feet away from tv, just ideas thats all, big speakers will have to be used, rear speakers on the ceiling I dont like, why would you want to do this? one problem with tv above fire place is you will be looking up to view it, how far up would the bottom of the tv be? Gee what is the budget hear for speakers and reciever?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us