Home speaker enclosures

Username: Paul_s

Post Number: 1
I have a pair of Klipsch B-3's sitting approximately 8' off the ground pointing straight out. The speakers are sitting in two pass-through cutouts on either side of my fireplace in the wall between my family room and living room. My problem is that when I'm watching anything at a volume level just slightly higher than a whisper, the speaker volume seems just as loud behind the speakers (in the living room) as it does in the main viewing area. I'd like to buy or build some sort of 3-sided enclosure for each speaker, to force the sound into the room where it belongs. If I do this, how much space should I allow behind and to the sides of the speakers? If I custom build these, is there anything I need to put inside the enclosure (i.e. felt, eggcrate material, whatever)? Additionally, should I attempt to angle the speakers so they are facing towards the seating/viewing area instead of straight out? Upload

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 445
These have rear-firing ports, correct? Might be part of the reason they are loud behind them in the other room. Building an enclosure for them (if it is not big enough) will make them sound muffled and boomy.

They'd be best on heavy stands on the floor, at least a foot away from a wall, but judging from your photo, this may not be feasible.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us