Need some insight

Username: Fluidicaztec

Tacoma, WA USA

Post Number: 1
So I'm helping my dad hook up his new system:

Sony DAV-IS10
Sharp Aquas 52" LCD w/two HDMI inputs
Motorola Comcast Set Top Box DCH3200

We've run the speaker wiring through the wall and done the same with one HDMI cable which goes from the HTS to the TV. I now have to add another HDMI cable for the Set Top Box to the TV. My dad wants to add a Sharp Aquas Blu Ray Player which I want to hook up with another HDMI cable. Since my Motorola & Sony only have an HDMI output and my dads TV only has two inputs what the answer? I'd like a seamless system thats easy to use for him. So I'm trying to figure out how to insert a thrird HDMI without having to use a switch or an expensive reciever. Also, I need a universal remote that I can set up for him that's easy to use (after intial set up).

Thanks!!!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1961
If Dad's going to add a Sharp Blu-ray, then why not use that machine to play DVDs as well as Blu-ray discs. It seems a shame to not even hookup the Sony DVD upconverting player, but I'll bet the Sharp will play DVDs better than the Sony. (At least on paper anyway---we've had one member with DVD playback problems with his Sharp Blu-ray.) If you and he insist on hooking up the Sony's HDMI, then you have no choice but to use a switch box.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002 &p_id=3029&seq=1&format=2

A switchbox would make only one HDMI run to the TV necessary.

The Harmony universal remotes are some of the best. Here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Advanced-Universal-Control/dp/B0003QER82

Username: Fluidicaztec

Tacoma, WA USA

Post Number: 4
Ya, I've thought about it and agree. I'll use the Sony as a high end sound system and run the STB and Blu-Ray to the TV. So here's my next question: Since the Blu-Ray only has a fiber digital out but the STB has a fiber & digital audio coax it's obvious that the Blu-Ray gets to use the optical and the STB is stuck with the coax. But does the coax deliver 5.1 suround like the fiber? Is the quality as good as fiber?
Oh, and thanks for the link to Monoprice. That's a cool site.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1963
­
"But does the coax deliver 5.1 suround like the fiber? Is the quality as good as fiber?"

The two are equal. Coax does just as good with DD and DTS 5.1 as optical. There have been many discussions regarding the superiority of one over the other, but with this equipment there's no difference, given good quality cables such as those available at monoprice and elsewhere.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us