Wondering if i need to upgrade

Username: Rgrigutis

Louisville, KY United States

Post Number: 1
hello everyone. i'm building a new home and have questions about my new a/v setup and reccommendations w/ regard to cable vs. satellite.

old system; jvc lt-26x585 television[26' lcd w/1 hdmi], sony str-de598 receiver [90watt, component video w/2 assignable], bose vcs-30 center/surround speaker system, toshiba dvd video player, yamaha subwoofer. i had a digital hd cable box sending the signal to the tv via an hdmi cable. room was about 12'x 20'x 8' ceiling.

new system; i got a deal on a sharp aquos 46" and have a cantilever omnimount for it. the room is 14'x 20'x 9'vaulted ceilings. that's as far as i've got. i'd like to get 2 more speakers and run a 5.1 system. is my old rcvr powerful enough to drive this or should i pop for a new one w/hdmi? what about just using the component video? or do i need to get a tivo/cable box and run the hdmi from it like my old system? i know it's arguable but should i get a satellite system or stay w/ digital cable. which system promises the greater advantage in the long term? what speakers would complement the bose? i plan on mounting the tv at about 5' w/ the center speaker on a shelf just above it. the 2 rear surrounds will be mounted on the rear wall at about 8'. the front speakers at about 6' on the front walls. are the existing speakers large enough w/ the addition of 2 new front speakers? do i need to start from scratch or supplement what i've got? as usual money is a concern but i'd be willing to buy what i need to maximize the tv w/ consideration to the size of the room. how would you set this system up?

sorry for the length and thanks in advance. rick

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 453
Sat vs Cable, DirectTv will go out in bad weather but right now they offer more HD than cable. Bose speakers are not held to highly here, so if you want to up grade a good palce to start is with your speakers. ( I like Paradigm speakers). The front speakers at 6 feet and the TV at 5 feet are a littl high up when your sitting on your couch. HDMI is a simple way to connect but there are some compatibility problems with them. Sony makes some vry good video but I stay away from there audio.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us