Best Source for Speaker Wire?

Username: Kevint415

Post Number: 2
Hi,

I am starting on a big speaker wiring project for a new home under construction. The speakers will be wired throughout the home. I will do a separate wiring system for the home theater. The speaker runs will be from 50' to 175'. I was thinking of using four wire 14 gauge as opposed to 12 gauge to cut down on the cost.

Since wiring will not be used for home theater, do you think 4 wire 14 gauge will be good selection?

Any issues with running two speakers on the same cable? Originally, I was thinking of running some speakers in serial and/or parallel, but I have decided against it and thought I would go for 4 wire and just wire them direct.

Can you recommend a good source for purchasing wire?

Thanks!

Kevin

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1926
­
Monoprice is hard to beat on the stuff they sell. Good quality and fast service.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10239

Post Number: 3
Cool, thanks! I'm building a list of places to shop. I didn't see any 1000' rolls at monoprice, but I will call tomorrow to verify.

I also found this site on the Internet. Any pros/cons?

http://www.computercablestore.com/

Thanks,

Kevin

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1927
­
Some useful stuff there Kevin, but I did not see the 4 strand in wall wire you need for speakers.

Post Number: 4
You are right. I have been looking for both speaker wire and CAT6 cable. That was my Cat6 site.

Got my "wires" crossed :-) I will call Mono tomorrow. Thanks!

One thing on wiring speakers. Is it okay to open the 14/4 sleeve to wire one speaker, then extend the wire to the next speaker and use the other pair? Will this cause any noise issues?

Thanks!

Kevin

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1929
­
"Will this cause any noise issues?"

I certainly don't think so. Each wire is insulated as well as regular speaker wire so there should not be a problem. You should twist the pair of wires into a sort of lazy spiral as they go to the last speaker.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us