Confuse about HDMI v1.3

Username: Pwangdel

Post Number: 5
Greetings:

I just purchase a Panasonic TH-50PX77U plasma and can't not find anywhere if this TV support HDMI v1.3 or earlier. I call Panasonic tech support and submit my question "Does the TH-50PX77U support HDMI v1.3 or YCbCr or "Deep color" and have been told that v1.3 is for the HDMI cable specification and has nothing to do with the HDMI port on the TV. Could someone please confirm if Panasonic's tech statement is correct?

On a seperate note, let assume that my TH-50PX77U and my DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-ray player are both HDMI v1.1, 1.2, 1.3. If my AV receiver has HDMI pass thru, does this mean that whatever I get out of the DVD player (upscaling, deep color etc), I will also get them on the TV?

Thank you much for your time and have a happy and healthy Holiday seasons.

Receiver Denon AVR-4806
TV Panasonic TH-50PX77U
DVD Player Sony DVPNC85H/S
DVD Recorder Toshiba D-R400

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1920
­
"I call Panasonic tech support and submit my question "Does the TH-50PX77U support HDMI v1.3 or YCbCr or "Deep color" and have been told that v1.3 is for the HDMI cable specification and has nothing to do with the HDMI port on the TV."

The correct answer should have been "No, your TV does not support Deep Color or xvYCC." No, HDMI 1.3 is not just about the cable specification. It is true that since the original 1.0 version, nothing much has happened on the (non PC) video side until 1.3 came out last year. Since HDMI has always supported up to 1080p, the official version number of the HDMI inputs on this Panasonic is irrelavent.

It is important to note that Deep Color and xvYCC are optional. Any TV can boast HDMI 1.3 and still not support these digital video bitstreams.

A product listed as having an HDMI version does not necessarily mean that it will have all of the features listed under the version classification: indeed, some of the features are optional. For example, in HDMI v1.3 it is optional to support the xvYCC wide color standard. This means if you have bought a camcorder that supports the wide color space (which for example is branded by Sony as "x.v.Color") you have to specifically check that the display supports both HDMI v1.3 and the xvYCC wide color standard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Versions

One would think true "Passthrough" would be exactly that. So I think the quick answer to your second question is yes. The more accurate answer is probably "it depends." It depends on the equipment involved and how the digital "handshake" is accomplished through the chain.

BTW, your Denon is not a passthrough receiver, being officially HDMI 1.1.
­

Post Number: 6
Thanks for shedding some light to this and additional infos.

Since the Denon is HDMI 1.1, do you think it would be better to hook up the DVD players directly to the Plasma TV instead?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1931
­
"Since the Denon is HDMI 1.1, do you think it would be better to hook up the DVD players directly to the Plasma TV instead?"

I guess I didn't make myself clear. Since the TV and both players are no higher that HDMI 1.1,
it does not matter whether you run HDMI through the Denon or not. Video quality will be exactly the same either way. What matters is convenience. If you run the HDMI cables through the Denon, you
1) need to run only one cable to the TV,
2) can switch between the two players for playback from the Denon, and
3) the Denon will extract the digital soundtrack from the HDMI (either Dolby Digital or DTS), so that would eliminate the necessity of running separate digital audio lines into the receiver from the two players.

Do not get hung up on this "Deep Color" business. You will not be able to see the wider color gamut (xvYCC) or the higher bit depth (Deep Color) because none of your present equipment supports them. Furthermore, Deep Color and xvYCC are not simply matter of enhancing existing video---such as "upconverting" DVD players for example---but rather it is an all new video format, beginning with the camera (or mastering) all the way through the video chain to the display you see it on. And this will not be a reality for some time to come.
­

Post Number: 7
Thank a bunch for your great insight.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1946
­
I don't know about "great insight." I'm on a learning curve like everyone else.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us